Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Early Cougar Styled Steel wheels question

October 5 2017 at 2:02 PM

Button  (Login cliffrod)
Members

the c/l link I posted on the classifieds shows a couple of sets of early Cougar Styled Steel wheels. When I was collecting a set of original 67 SS wheels for my 67 Mustang long ago, I accrued several earlier 65-66 Mustang SS wheels and eventually a full set (from different places) of early chrome Cougar SS wheel.

All of the Cougar wheels were badly and identically cracked in the centers, from the hole or "slot" in the wheel up onto each side of the spoke on all the spokes. Figured that was probably why they were not part of a set, but also wondered if such cracking was common to those wheels. This was in the 80's, long before repro wheels. All of these wheels were not obviously crash-damaged & spun straight, so it wasn't a matter of being curbed & bent. By comparison, none of the numerous 65-66-67 Mustang SS wheels I ever had were cracked.

Is/was such cracking typical of the Cougar SS wheels or did I luck into the only four cracked ones around..?
1967 Galaxie 500 Red original Q code 428
1967 Galaxie 500 White with Black stripes 428PI clone- car is dead & long gone, sold near Oak Ridge TN 2000, would love to find it.....
Please visit http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/ for pictures, information and video links to my work.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Travis
(Login country63sedan)
Members

Re: Early Cougar Styled Steel wheels question

October 5 2017, 2:14 PM 

I seem to remember, but can't guarantee reading about a recall on those wheels. Don't hold me to it, I could be thinking of something else. Later, Travis.

Respond to this message   
Tom P
(Login tomposthuma)
Members

maybe from stamping?

October 5 2017, 2:35 PM 

I had some that had small cracks like you describe, it looked more like it was from the deep draw stamping rather than usage.

Respond to this message   

Button
(Login cliffrod)
Members

I wondered about the manufacturing process as well

October 5 2017, 3:36 PM 

but is seem that the center for both of these Mustang and Cougar are very similar in that specific dimension, with the Mustang wheels having an additional hole in the middle of the "spoke" to produce the distinctive Y detail of the Mustang wheel center. Every one I had were equally cracked, probably within less than a 1/4". Except for a couple different colors of paint, it sure made them look like a perfect set.

These wheels are not common around here at all by the time I was driving and trading parts in the 80's. Same with early Cougars, too.

A recall makes sense. Since I was born in 67, such legal issues were not my focus at the time..
1967 Galaxie 500 White with Black stripes 428PI clone- car is dead & long gone, sold near Oak Ridge TN 2000, would love to find it.....
Please visit http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/ for pictures, information and video links to my work.

Respond to this message   
Mike_Senar
(Login Mike_Senar)
Members

'67 Cougar wheels

October 5 2017, 3:59 PM 

The first year Cougar "Styled wheels" have a larger hole than the '68-'69 wheels. Also a larger hole than the Mustang wheels. That is why most/all of the existing 1967 wheels are cracked. It is a flaw that got corrected the following year. I am not sure of a recall, but makes sense!
Mike

Respond to this message   

WerbyFord
(Login werbyford)
Members

Hole size makes sense

October 5 2017, 6:43 PM 

When I did my grad school work at GM (Ford didn't have their act together to sponsor me) I was deep-drawing sheet metal.
We ran a rod thru the center to turn a bunch of circle blanks at the same time.

Mostly, steel didn't care about the hole during deep drawing. but if the hole was too big or the steel was too thin or hard, it would split at the hole.

And in aluminum or titanium, forget about it, ANY hole would cause a split. So we had to grab & machine the blanks with NO hole.

I never heard of wheels doing this but it makes sense.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login ZXY321)
Members

Not all

October 5 2017, 8:59 PM 

I wouldn't say ALL of the 67 wheels cracked my car came with its original 5 wheels and none of them are cracked.

Respond to this message   
Royce
(Login RoyceP)
Members

Cougar styled steel wheels were never recalled but Rader XR7-G wheels were

October 6 2017, 7:37 AM 

The Cougar XR7-G Rader wheels were recalled because they were poor quality and had all sorts of manufacturing defects. Every possible thing that you can imagine was wrong with them. Here's the letter from AO Smith to Shelby American asking that the wheels be recalled.

[linked image]
[linked image]
1910 Model T Ford touring Red / Black
1914 Model T Ford touring Maroon / Black
1917 Model T Ford Torpedo runabout green
1915 Model T Ford touring Black of course!
1968 Mercury Cougar 428CJ Ram Air Red / Black/ Black
1968 Cougar XR7-G 390-2V X code Red / Black
1968 Cougar GTE 427 Augusta Green / Saddle
http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/15029/50071-2

Respond to this message   
Tom P
(Login tomposthuma)
Members

Raders

October 6 2017, 10:03 AM 

Wow, sounds like they drill the lug holes with a hand held drill. I wonder if all the other Rader wheels are too?

Respond to this message   

Button
(Login cliffrod)
Members

Never liked the Rader wheels

October 6 2017, 11:15 AM 

when I was trading wheels, there were always lots of Rader wheels around here. They didn't look to be very rugged, compared to others. They looked like cheap wheels and finding broken ones was not uncommon, so don't think I ever bought or had a single Rader wheel. I didn't know they came on Cougars.

I had multiple sets of Hurst wheels, NOS & used, back then and thought there was some documentation I found (very much pre internet) in Hurst ads that used wheels looking very, very much like Raders as why Hurst's forged centers and riveted & sandwiched construction made them far superior to similar wheels on the market. I believe the Raders simply had cast centers which were riveted directly to the wheel band without the steel surround to better support the rivets & locate the center like the Hurst wheels.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index