Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Old school machine shop

October 5 2017 at 5:14 PM
Jim  (Login FormerlyCyclonic66)
Members

Dropped a block off today to have a sleeve put in. The old guy looked across the parking lot at my block sitting in my SUV with the liftgate up. "Old FE, huh". Yep, found the right guy.

The prior owner had put the rear cam plug in wrong. That's the first thing he noticed and said " I'll fix that too". I told him I was glad to find a guy that knew that was wrong on an FE. $160 to install a sleeve with .002 interference and nested on a bottom shoulder, bore it to match the other 7, replace the cam plug and hone all 8 bores.

While there, I noticed a TON of cylinder heads in process, so I had to ask. "How much to rebuild a set of FE heads with new seats, guides and positive seals"? His response: "$450 and you provide the valves". I had to ask: "what about the valve job."

"That's included"

I was shopping for Edelbrocks for this old truck project, but that price is hard to walk away from. May just leave the heads stock. I peeked under a valve cover yesterday and was shocked at how clean the 360 is with 100k on the clock. I guess I'll look for a deal on CJ valves.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Matt Bourgeois
(Login mattbourgeois)
Members

Old school machine shop

October 5 2017, 5:38 PM 

Pretty cool. Where is this shop located?

Respond to this message   
Jim
(Login FormerlyCyclonic66)
Members

Richmond, VA..................n/m

October 5 2017, 5:40 PM 

Respond to this message   

javier
(Login Ranchopower)

dragstrip country! n/m

October 5 2017, 5:54 PM 

Respond to this message   
Leland
(Login lhstanford)
Members

Hard to find anymore. Glad you were able to find one

October 5 2017, 6:00 PM 

I worked at a machine shop in the early 70's with a bunch of ' old guys'. Ha, now i'm one. Anyway, most of those guys were so sharp. Each one in his section of the shop was a master at what they did. I tried my best to learn from them but never quite got there. After our shop closed and sold out I tried desperately to keep up with the individuals. I think they've all passed on now. Nobody left to fill their shoes. Don't get me wrong. Lots of good work done in different places, but these guys were MASTERS. Funny though. I took coffee breaks with these guys. next door to our shop was a large Sheraton Hotel. All the rock stars stayed there. One morning in particular we were sitting across the room from some long haired guys. One of the old farts started making fun of them, in a pretty loud voice. I saw the band bus loading up. The bus banner said 'Journey' Haha

Respond to this message   

Kbmax
(Login kbmax)
Members

Re: Richmond, VA..................n/m

October 6 2017, 5:45 AM 

That wouldnt be, Louis Robertson "the shop". He use to have a shop in Hopewell but either moved or closed up.

Respond to this message   
chillymerc
(Login chillymerc)
Members

Shop

October 6 2017, 6:17 AM 

Was it a place down near Hull and Courthouse?? I used him to do a Jeep 6cyl head and was very reasonable, his son was porting a set of 460 heads. I haven't had any performance work done in town

Respond to this message   
Jim
(Login FormerlyCyclonic66)
Members

Davis Auto Machine Service

October 6 2017, 4:59 PM 

If you meant to say Hull and Chippenham, then yes.

I live West of there, out by the Swift Creek Resevoir.

This message has been edited by FormerlyCyclonic66 on Oct 6, 2017 5:00 PM

Respond to this message   
chillymerc
(Login chillymerc)
Members

That's the one

October 7 2017, 5:18 AM 

Yes, it's been awhile so I thought it was Courthouse but was mistaken. Good guys for sure

Respond to this message   
Jeff H.
(Login wsu0702)
Members

Jealous...

October 5 2017, 8:23 PM 

My local machine shop guy was definitely old school and extremely FE knowledgeable but his prices were pretty high. He retired recently so I am hoping to find another local shop that knows FEs but its not looking good.

Respond to this message   

cletus66
(Login cletus66)
Members

The SHOP

October 7 2017, 7:23 PM 

Lewis Robertson has left Hopewell, VA due to ridiculous taxes and his shop is now about 7 minutes from our compound in Charles City, VA. He is now about 68 years old and has forgotten more about FEs than most of us will ever know. He is currently working on a 302 for a 66 F100 that I'm building for my daughter. He never hesitates to call me a dumbass, and he is usually right in his assessment. His number is 804 829 9000.

Respond to this message   
Jeff H.
(Login wsu0702)
Members

Thanks but I am on the other...

October 7 2017, 9:03 PM 

side of the country. Looking for a shop in the Seattle, WA area but all of the local FE guys (John Haskell, Dave Bliss, Jim Green) have all retired now.

Respond to this message   

Kbmax
(Login kbmax)
Members

Re: The SHOP

October 9 2017, 1:35 PM 

Thanks for his contact info. He did a couple cross bolt conversions for me back in the day before i started doing them myself. He had a hand in several stock and super stock record holder FE's back then as well.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index