Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

1957 Fairlane

October 6 2017 at 6:25 AM

Leny Mason  (Login LENYM)
Members

Hi, we are going to put disk brakes on the front of a 57, the owner said it has a MEL engine it and he wants to make a good driver, I am wondering if any one has done a brake change and what else maybe a good sway bar, it has over drive now but he would like a not to have to double clutch first gear I will know more later I have not seen it yet. Leny Mason

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Leland
(Login lhstanford)
Members

Scarebird has a decent set up

October 6 2017, 8:37 AM 

Hi Leny. I put a scarebird spindle brackets on my sons 63 Ford Galaxie. Pretty economical and easily accessed parts. Just a simple bolt on bracket with a spacer for wheel bearing. We used 70 Mustang rotors/ bearings and gm (metric) calipers. We're also able to use OEM 15"x 6 1/2" steel wheels. No complaints.

Respond to this message   
fordsel
(Login fordsel)
Members

disc brakes

October 6 2017, 5:30 PM 

on my 57 & 58 fairlanes I used 1977 t-bird spindles etc. I believe the brake hoses were off a Granada. I bought front and rear sway bars from thunderbird southwest, I believe they sold out and are under another name now.

Respond to this message   
Rory McNeil
(Login RMCJ428)
Members

Re: disc brakes

October 6 2017, 8:21 PM 

I have yet to install them, but after doing some research, I bought a Wilwood disc brake kit for the front of my 59 2 door sedan. These retain the origional factory drum brake spindles, and come with aluminum 4 piston calipers, new vented rotors (drilled and slotted rotors are also available), and brackets engineered to work with the stock spindles. I do have a pair of 77 Thunderbird spindles with caliper assemblies I had planned on using, but they are very heavy, I also looked into the Scarebird kits, but the brackets looked a bit light duty, and I didn`t want to have to use GM calipers.
As for sway bars, I believe that Quickor still offers sway bar kits for 57-59 Ford cars.

Respond to this message   

Leny Mason
(Login LENYM)
Members

Thanks

October 7 2017, 4:49 AM 

I will look into them all. Leny Mason

Respond to this message   

F570RD
(Login F570rd)
Members

77 T Bird

October 7 2017, 11:52 AM 

These will bring a camber issue into play.The car would need to be lowered or changes made with the upper control arm axle.

Respond to this message   
Mike
(Login flstci71)
Members

Front Disc

October 7 2017, 6:38 AM 

I bought a 73 Torino wagon disc set up for my 58, but haven't installed it yet. That is "supposed" to be a bolt-on too. We will see.

Respond to this message   

Bill
(Login Ranch)
Members

Sway bar can be had here

October 7 2017, 2:12 PM 

http://www.jerrysclassiccars.com/2014%20catalog%20pdf.pdf

Good people to deal with, very knowledgeable.

Respond to this message   

Leny Mason
(Login LENYM)
Members

Wow what a resource

October 9 2017, 5:33 AM 

It looks like they have every thing for these cars. Leny Mason

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index