Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

engine stand

October 7 2017 at 5:22 PM
Alan  (Login alf1960)
Members

Can any of you recommend a good engine stand for a 390? I am new at this and don`t want to get something that is not suitable. Sorry if this is kind of off topic , but I figured you guys would know if any one did.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Gerry
(Login gerryproctor)
Members

You don't need to spend a lot.

October 7 2017, 5:56 PM 

I got a four-leg stand (I suppose it's really a three-leg stand, like most are, with a wide spread front axle) from Harbor Freight for something around $50 and it works fine. Yes, you can spend a lot more for stands but if you're not doing this kind of work for a living, there are a lot of features, like gear-driven rotation, you can do without. As long as the stand has some reserve capacity for the most weight you're going to put on it, it will work. I don't recommend a three-leg stand with the single or narrow front wheel, even though they are stable in a static situation (three points of contact make a plane), but you have to be careful if you need to move it around. Yes, I have used those and never had a problem.

Respond to this message   
winr1
(Login winr1)
Members

I have a home made one and a 2000 lb one from Harbor freight ..

October 7 2017, 6:07 PM 

The Harbor Freight one has 4 legs, front ones fold up to store

It looks like an engine crane a bit

My brother bought a smaller one
A 340 block caused it to sag over night

Ricky.

Respond to this message   

Button
(Login cliffrod)
Members

Just be careful

October 7 2017, 6:14 PM 

A decent stand (think mine is a fairly inexpensive Big Red version from Autozone) is fine to support an all-iron FE. Mine is on one now. Being able to knock it down for storage is a big help.

Regardless of the stand, be careful about rotating the engine. A block or short block is pretty simple to get centered. Add heads and intake and it gets more complicated. If it isn't perfectly weight-centered on the stand, bad things happen really fast. Using a hoist as needed to control the turn & adjust the balance/center is smart..
1967 Galaxie 500 Red original Q code 428
1967 Galaxie 500 White with Black stripes 428PI clone- car is dead & long gone, sold near Oak Ridge TN 2000, would love to find it.....
Please visit http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/ for pictures, information and video links to my work.

Respond to this message   
Matt Bourgeois
(Login mattbourgeois)
Members

engine stand

October 7 2017, 7:02 PM 

I also have the 2000 lb harbor freight model. It works fine and is strong enough for a 390. I also have some smaller ones but prefer the 2000 lb for a complete engine.

Respond to this message   
Leland
(Login lhstanford)
Members

I have the kind Gerry described but it sucks

October 7 2017, 7:09 PM 

It can handle the weight of the FE but I can't get close enough to my engine crane (also from harbor frt) to transfer them. The V of the stand interferes. I bought an ac delco stand at oReillys for $90. Small, strong, and very manuverable. I gave the harbor frt stand to a friend.

Respond to this message   

Alan Casida
(Login AlanCasida)
Members

I have a folding engine stand

October 7 2017, 10:00 PM 

It works real well and folds up for easy storage. I think this is the one I have but not positive. It handled my 460PI motor just fine.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Torin-Big-Red-T26801-Engine-Stand-3-4-Ton-1500-Lb-Capacity-/322650252443?epid=1022858987&hash=item4b1f74249b:g:OWcAAOSwmZdZj5D2

Respond to this message   
Tom P
(Login tomposthuma)
Members

Re: I have a folding engine stand

October 7 2017, 10:10 PM 

I used a rickety three wheeled stand for years, an FE engine would hang down in the front at a huge angle. Now i've got a four wheeled heavy duty and the thing is too wide for the basement door so I don't use it. I have to do engines on the floor like Bob Glidden.
I am going to narrow that stand!

Respond to this message   
Marc H
(Select Login turbohunter)
Members

Mods

October 8 2017, 9:42 AM 

My problem with the Harbor Freight stands is the arms not reaching the bell holes well.
You can hog them out a bit but it still makes it tough to center the weight.
I have welded in a brace at the bottom to triangulate and better hold the weight. It just freaks me out to see it bend.
I'm in the market for another one.
Be nice to have an inexpensive well made deal but as things are today mods work fine.
Maybe I'll just make a nice set of arms.
[linked image][linked image]

Respond to this message   
Alan
(Login alf1960)
Members

Thanks

October 9 2017, 11:27 AM 

Thank you for the recommendations.

This message has been edited by alf1960 on Oct 10, 2017 7:14 AM

Respond to this message   
Alan
(Login alf1960)
Members

Re: engine stand

October 13 2017, 1:21 PM 

I bought the 2000 lb Pittsburg stand from harbor freight. It looks very well made. It was on sale for 139 and I had a 20% coupon so I got it for 113 with tax. It folds up too. Thanks for all the advice.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index