Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

O/T 4.11's and 27" tall tires suck on the highway, but........

October 8 2017 at 9:42 AM
paulie  (Login Paul_Lovett)
Members

......no need to downshift when you're already doing 3800 rpm in third gear at 70mph and a modern 392 Charger SRT pulls up beside. Zipped it up to 130 mph and he's way behind. A Charger Hellcat would've been different.....

Still, We gave each other thumbs up and smiles when he caught up.

I swear, just driving my Cougar around here has probably given people more joy than all the good things I've tried to do in my life. Almost every time I drive this old machine people are yelling at me out their windows, getting out of their cars at stoplights to come talk to me, thumbs up, smiles, and open-mouth looks. When I drive this old FE with 3-1/2" exhaust by dogs in their yard, they usually go freaking apeshit. They bark at this car like it's some giant animal invading their territory. Damn it's fun.

Go drive your FE. happy.gif

paulie

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
paulie
(Login Paul_Lovett)
Members

Yes. this cat even makes dogs happy.

October 8 2017, 10:01 AM 

It's the most fun they have all day.

Respond to this message   

Mr optimist
(Login FE4RD)
Members

I hope things get better for you ...

October 8 2017, 10:24 AM 

So, you are driving some kind of old Cougar?

I hope things get better for you, so you can afford a newer car.

No more Mercury or Cougars are made anymore, but

perhaps you could afford a nice used Ford Focus!
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
paulie
(Login Paul_Lovett)
Members

Thank you, sir. It's been a trying day.

October 8 2017, 10:40 AM 

If only I could afford a quieter, more efficient car, things would go smoother for me. I need a vehicle that can get me to work more often with less cost so I can spend more time there, helping management save more money so they can have more more money and spend less time at work. I'll keep trying. wink.gif

Respond to this message   
Tom P
(Login tomposthuma)
Members

Re: Thank you, sir. It's been a trying day.

October 8 2017, 11:45 AM 

Yes, maybe a GoFundMe could raise money to get you a Tesla.

Yesterday at the swap meet(pix on photo page) I was parked beside a Prius... odd at a swap meet for old car stuff, no? When I came back out there was another on the other side, and several more in the same row. Get to the highway and the lineup at the exit had five Prii out of just nine cars!

Respond to this message   

DaleP
(Login Posi-67)
Members

Are you saying the Focus didn't fit in beside a...

October 8 2017, 12:24 PM 

Prius or did your "Stupid Wagon" make the trip there and back. If it did, you must have an interesting disaster story to go along with the trip happy.gifhappy.gif

Respond to this message   
paulie
(Login Paul_Lovett)
Members

Stop fighting, Canadian guys!

October 8 2017, 7:51 PM 

Americans tend to think of Canada as some sort of paradise, with cheap pharmaceuticals, no cost health care, free higher education, no violence, and lots of smiles. I'm sure some of that is true, but you are definitely impinging on our mythology right now. Cut it out.

paulie

Respond to this message   

DaleP
(Login Posi-67)
Members

What Fighting? More like light hearted..

October 8 2017, 10:40 PM 

Harassment. It's been said before that Tom could write a book about his escapades and oddly, he's still alive in spite of many self induced disasters. The story that hasn't been told is what he uses for his daily driver and that's what I found funny about the Prius comment. Did get a good score on that oil filter adapter though.

Respond to this message   
paulie
(Login Paul_Lovett)
Members

Whew! All is well.

October 9 2017, 3:12 AM 

I guess our actors can resume threatening to move in next to you, then. They'll bring more Prius's.

Respond to this message   
Tom P
(Login tomposthuma)
Members

Re: Whew! All is well.

October 9 2017, 10:23 AM 

Yes, well, sadly it was the Focus. The plan was to take the wagon and put it in the for sale lot but I was too busy last week to fix a few more things on the car, like that segmented headliner and replacing the middle carb. Then we were going in Rolf's Oldsmobile but I envisioned a long walk along I5 with it. So yes, Focii are one step away from Prii.

the oil filter adapter was the only FE part the guy had, all that other 427 stuff looked nice and the guy selling it is on the latest Jay Leno's Garage show.

Respond to this message   

Nathan
(Login jaimalade)
Members

I LOVE THIS POST AND COMMENTS! n/m

October 8 2017, 12:28 PM 

n/m

Respond to this message   
paulie
(Login Paul_Lovett)
Members

Thanks! It's a good Sunday.

October 8 2017, 1:26 PM 

Nice driving weather here for the next month or so.

paulie

Respond to this message   
paulie
(Login Paul_Lovett)
Members

Thanks! It's a good Sunday.

October 8 2017, 1:26 PM 

Nice driving weather here for the next month or so.

paulie

Respond to this message   
Drew Pojedinec
(Login DeepRoots78)
Members

Re: O/T 4.11's and 27" tall tires suck on the highway, but........

October 8 2017, 12:48 PM 

Welp, ya got my beat Pauli....
The most common compliment I get with my 63.5 Galaxie is: "Wow dude, that is the nicest Imapala, I've ever seen."

Respond to this message   
paulie
(Login Paul_Lovett)
Members

It's not just you. A lot of people ask me if my '67 Cougar is a Mustang.

October 8 2017, 1:13 PM 

I have to remember that it is a half century old. Not too many modern people have any idea at all.

paulie

Respond to this message   
Don Ragan
(Login gdr45)
Members

Cougar ID for Paulie,

October 8 2017, 3:24 PM 

Just tell them it's a fully customized Mustang by the late George Barris. I'm But then again, they still would not have a clue.

Respond to this message   

Chuck
(Login 61fairlane)
Members

Re: Cougar ID for Paulie,

October 8 2017, 3:48 PM 

I had people tell me "Nice Charger". I owned a 70 Torino Cobra

Respond to this message   
paulie
(Login Paul_Lovett)
Members

I sometimes get "axed" about my "Challenger", too.

October 8 2017, 7:19 PM 

It's still fun. Where I live, I'm like a fox in a hen house. It's a sea of minivans and SUV's. It makes it even more cool when I meet up with another old car guy. I saw a '67 Chevelle today, for instance. It had hoopty wheels on it sad.gif but still......

paulie

This message has been edited by Paul_Lovett on Oct 8, 2017 7:20 PM

Respond to this message   
paulie
(Login Paul_Lovett)
Members

It's okay. And you're right, they still would not have a clue.

October 8 2017, 7:15 PM 

On the other hand, I don't know an Elantra from an Olestra.......

Respond to this message   
e.philpott
(Login pooreric)
Members

Re: O/T 4.11's and 27" tall tires suck on the highway, but........

October 10 2017, 6:50 AM 

Sweet story !! .... Had a guy tell me he had a Nova just like mine , unfortunately my Nova was a 63 Fairlane , WTF

Paulie , I'm envolved on a build in Illinios on a 1971 Mustang with 429 .030 over , first generation Motorsports aluminum CJ head ( before Kaase) with flat tops , Comp 294 S , Ebrock RPM air gap BG 850 , 4800 stall C4 , anyway got the engine running , cam broke in , weather was good so a test drive followed , we have/had a 3.90 DL 9 inch to go in the car but currently has the original 302's 8 inch 3.00 gear with 29 tall tires , has street tires so we wasn't worried about breaking the 8 incher , ... fricken car drives great and has smoked quite a few "new" cars on the highway , must recently a new SS Camaro , anyway after driving the car with 3.00 now the owners is more interested in a 3.25 or 3.00 9 incher gear instead of the 3.90 .... The converter takes up the slack of the highway gear on the take-offs and the car is a total blast to cruise around in city or highway , just some food for thought if you get tired of the 4.11's

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index