Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Headers for a bumpside

October 8 2017 at 10:50 AM
Jim  (Login FormerlyCyclonic66)
Members

This should be simple enough, but half the guys over on Fordification don't have FEs and the other half can't turn a wrench.

Anyway, here I am asking the FE crowd. 1970 F100 with an FE and C6. Anyone with any experience? I'm leaning toward FPAs.

Heads were planned to be off-the-shelf Edelbrocks, but I found a local machinist who can revive my stock heads reasonably.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Nathan
(Login jaimalade)
Members

RE: Headers for a Bumpside

October 8 2017, 12:25 PM 

Jim,

Hello. Sadly, I agree with the comment about the majority of folks over at Fordification. . .

Concerning headers for an FE in a bump, I love my FPAs in my '66 Galaxie, but when I was searching for headers for my bump build, I decided that Sandersons were the overall best choice.

However, I ended up finding a "used" but never installed set of Hooker Comp #6903 Headers for $100 - if you are interested in them, I'll sell them for $100 + shipping from 37075.

V/R,
Nathan

Respond to this message   
Jim
(Login FormerlyCyclonic66)
Members

I'm guessing they're not coated?

October 8 2017, 2:02 PM 

Those have a number of things against them...slip fit collector, 18 gauge, paint is only for shipping and should be removed before coating with high temp. I think I would only be interested if they had the ceramic coating.

Respond to this message   

Nathan
(Login jaimalade)
Members

Nope

October 8 2017, 2:17 PM 

Jim,

Sorry, but no, they are not coated.

V/R,
Nathan

Respond to this message   
Rory McNeil
(Login RMCJ428)
Members

truck headers

October 8 2017, 2:48 PM 

Although I am very pleased with how well the FPA headers I installed on my 59 Ford 2door sedan, I can not say that I have seen a set of FPA headers for a Ford PU. I have had good results with both the Hedman and Flowtech headers I had installed on my 74 F350 2WD (390 NP435 4 speed). I had the Hedmans on the truck for 14 years, and only replaced them because they were looking so crusty, and since I was replacing the PS box, and starter, I thought that I would install a new pair of headers at the same time. When I removed the Hedmans, despite looking pretty rough, they were still quite solid. The only reason I went with the Flowtechs, was they were available locally, and for a good price. Both sets fit well and didn`t leak at the heads, I did have a couple of blown collector gaskets, but when I switched to solid aluminum collector gaskets, ploblem solved. The Flowtechs have been on the truck for over 12 years now, and as far as I know, they are still holding up OK. I sold the truck in 2014, but see the truck and only regulariiy at our local track.

Respond to this message   
Jim
Members

Thanks Rory

October 8 2017, 5:06 PM 

Thanks for the info on the other two. Not sure if you are saying you don't believe FPA makes a truck header or if you simply have no experience with them
For those not aware, here is the 2WD FE header from their site

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Chris McAlpine
(Login chris401)
Members

Manual Transmission Clearance

October 9 2017, 7:50 AM 

The only problem I would be concerned with is if they clear the Z bar linkage.

For my 65 2wd the rotating colector makes it a little less aggravating getting the bolts in front of the cross member.

Respond to this message   
Mike
(Login hossfish77)
Members

Re: Headers for a bumpside

October 8 2017, 7:23 PM 

I recomend Stan's Headers. Hands down the best quality I have seen.

Respond to this message   

Anonymous
(Login chiefsk428CJ)
Members

Headers on Bumpside

October 8 2017, 8:01 PM 

When I put the Headers on my Bump Side with Edelbrock Heads I had the Famous Truck Header Port Match up problem. I had to notch my headers to get a port Match. I think Stan sells his truck headers with either a normal port match for trucks or with a Edelbrock port match. If I had to do it over I would go with Stan

Respond to this message   
Jim
Members

Rumor is that Stan's makes the headers for FPA

October 8 2017, 8:14 PM 

Adding to the confusion is the fact that FPA is also run by a guy named Stan.

Here are Stan's
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Rory McNeil
(Login RMCJ428)
Members

Re: Rumor is that Stan's makes the headers for FPA

October 8 2017, 8:47 PM 

My understanding is that Stans Headers (also in Washington state) does make the headers for FPA, however, the headers they build for FPA are propietary, and FPA headers are only available from FPA. When I ordered the FPA headers for my 59, I had my choice of several header flange configurations, 8, 14, and 16 bolt exhaust patterns, with high or low exhaust port locations. So as long as you give Stam at FPA your correct head information, there should be no port mis matching. Plus the flanges are thicker than average. I don`t know if FPA has finished headers on the shelf, when I ordered mine, it took a few weeks from ordering to delivery. The headers even had my name and build date stamped into the flanges. Prehaps FPA may stock more common headers, like say 67-70 Mustangs with CJ heads, but my 16 bolt CJ headed 57-59 Ford car headers are likely not one of their big sellers.

Respond to this message   

doug smith
(Login cjshaker)
Members

I've always used Hedman's...

October 9 2017, 4:54 AM 

They were the only ones who made a header for my '68 Highboy. They lasted for over 20 years on that truck, and they're still hanging on the chassis as it's stripped and sitting behind my garage. I also used Hedman's on my '70 F350. Those are listed as "Heavy Duty", which means they are made of a thicker gauge steel. They're heavy, but they are darn nice. Both sets were/are coated. I've been very happy with both pairs.

Respond to this message   

Bill
(Login hvywrench)
Members

FPA coated headers on a 4wd

October 9 2017, 6:44 AM 

Years ago, probably 2005, I bought a set of coated headers from FPA for my high-boy.
The chassis is a '73 F-250 with the divorced transfer case and I have a 428 PI.
These has been installed since probably 2008 or 2009, was stored indoors for a couple of years but not in a controlled environment.
I've never had a problem with leaks because I told him what heads I was running.
The passenger side header makes changing a starter a project; unbolting the headers & motor mounts, then jacking the engine for clearance. There is no room at all, compared to the 10 minute starter swap with manifolds.
He offered two different configurations for a 4WD; long drop and short drop. I should have ordered the long drop, but wanted things tucked up so I had to scallop out the crossmember to clear.
I don't know what differences there are between a F-100 2WD and mine, but these should give you an idea of how FPA headers look after several years.
Bill

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Respond to this message   
Jim
Members

Thanks Bill

October 9 2017, 3:59 PM 

Respond to this message   

Old Curmudgeon
(Login FE4RD)
Members

2WD or 4WD???????????????

October 12 2017, 1:40 PM 

Your original post didn't indicate if you had a 2 wheel drive or a 4 wheel drive.

From follow-up, it seems you have a 2WD.

It is common to find that some people do not realize that F series trucks require different headers if you have a 4 wheel drive.
[linked image]

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index