Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

mahle pistons

October 8 2017 at 1:08 PM
adam Matteson  (Login feadam)
Members

Anyone know any tricks for installing the spiral locks with ease?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

javier
(Login Ranchopower)
Members

repetition

October 8 2017, 1:43 PM 

till you learn how to ease them in usually you learn it by the last piston

Respond to this message   
mick clarke
(Login Mickclarke72)
Members

Spiral locks

October 8 2017, 1:45 PM 

Lube the groove in the piston, start one end of the spiral in the groove and twist it in, like screw it in until the other end drops in. Quite easy once you find your touch !

Respond to this message   
Adam Matteson
(Login feadam)
Members

locks

October 8 2017, 2:59 PM 

Do you grab one end of spiral lock with needle nose pliers and pull it around? I have dealt with some spiral locks but these are tough.

Respond to this message   

Mike U.
(Login mtrain)
Members

I bought this handy little tool from Summit Racing, and no more bleeding fingers.........

October 8 2017, 3:20 PM 

Well, I can't find it on Summit, but here is basically the same thing, although a bit more $$$$$ than I remember paying for mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jims-96780-58A-Piston-Lock-Ring-Tool-/221860013016?hash=item33a7e323d8:g:VpIAAOSwImRYEDPr

Respond to this message   
Don Ragan
(Login gdr45)
Members

Lock ring tool,

October 8 2017, 3:41 PM 

We used a tool like that to install lock rings in two stroke outboard engines. Get it seated on the piston and give it a quick pop with your hand.

Respond to this message   
Brent Lykins
(Login blykins)
Members

I made a video.....will try to find it.

October 8 2017, 4:11 PM 

There was someone here who was asking how to do it last year.

The short story is that you pull the spirolock apart just enough to get your pointer finger tip in between the end of the lock and the next coil down if that makes any sense. Start the end into the groove with your pointer finger, then use a small screw driver (screw driver, dental pick, whatever works for you) and walk the rest of the lock down into the groove.

Don't stretch too hard, but if you gently stretch it, you can see the logistics of it. Get the end started, then walk the rest of it around.

Did Mahle change their pin lock? They used to be just a wire lock.

Respond to this message   
Adam Matteson
(Login feadam)
Members

locks

October 8 2017, 4:59 PM 

They are wire, they are really stiff, I've never used Malhe before' but never had too much problem with locks these just seem to not be cooperating

Respond to this message   
Brent Lykins
(Login blykins)
Members

Wire locks are easier....

October 8 2017, 5:08 PM 

I position the piston so that the crown is facing me. If you notice, there is a little divot cut out of the pin bore. Find yourself a little flat head screwdriver....the smaller the better. I then clock the wire lock so that the end of the lock is just past that little cut-out divot....so if the crown of the piston is toward you, the divot is at like 11:00 and the end of the wire lock is at like 12:00. You will be able to get most of the lock started in the groove by tilting the lock (basically getting the entire rounded portion down in the groove, with the ends of the lock sticking up out of the bore) then use your screwdriver with the tip in between the wire lock end and the little divot in the piston to basically compress the lock and get the rest of it down in the groove. It will click when it goes in.

Respond to this message   

Barry_R
(Login Barry_R)
Members

They are round wire

October 8 2017, 5:06 PM 

They work very well but they are a real B@#$%! to install. Usually takes me a little while too. Small screwdrivers and some patience will get it. Start one end first and wrap it into the groove - the thin blade of a really small screwdriver will help catch and guide it in.
Barry Rabotnick
Survivalmotorsports.com

Respond to this message   
Brent Lykins
(Login blykins)
Members

See if this video helps....

October 8 2017, 5:45 PM 

I couldn't find my old one, so I went out to the shop and made you a new one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76sqozKX9a0

Respond to this message   
Adam Matteson
(Login feadam)
Members

spiral locks

October 8 2017, 7:02 PM 

Thanks Brent will try in A.M. If it is still a pain I found a tool mahle makes for 15 dollars that slides them in.

Respond to this message   
Adam Matteson
(Login feadam)
Members

Locks

October 9 2017, 8:13 AM 

Brent, thanks for video it worked great until last lock, it popped out and hit every wall in my garage, finally found it after a long search. Thanks again

Respond to this message   
Brent Lykins
(Login blykins)
Members

Been there, done that.....n/m

October 9 2017, 8:17 AM 

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index