Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

oil restrictors

October 9 2017 at 11:13 AM
Adam Matteson  (Login feadam)
Members

Put oil restrictors in my BBM block, .060, are these to small or should they be good? BBM heads, melling HV pump.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Brent Lykins
(Login blykins)
Members

Which part are you restricting? n/m

October 9 2017, 11:33 AM 

Respond to this message   
Adam Matteson
(Login feadam)
Members

restrictors

October 9 2017, 2:42 PM 

restrictors are in block to heads

Respond to this message   
Brent Lykins
(Login blykins)
Members

What rockers?

October 9 2017, 2:45 PM 

I typically choose to not restrict in the deck surface because if it needs to be changed, it's a bear-dog to get back to that point. If I have to restrict, I will restrict in the feed hole to the rockers, or use restricting pushrods.

If the rockers are needle bearing fulcrum, you can generally restrict more. If they are bushed, then I wouldn't restrict as much.

Respond to this message   
Adam Matteson
(Login feadam)
Members

rockers

October 9 2017, 3:09 PM 

The rockers are PRW steel

Respond to this message   
Brent Lykins
(Login blykins)
Members

I wouldn't restrict much, if any at all. n/m

October 9 2017, 3:27 PM 

Respond to this message   
Boxtop David
(Login davidleshay)
Members

Brent, How important are the oil

October 9 2017, 5:09 PM 

return pans in the heads. I used AT Racing stainless steel roller rockers and the pans won't fit with them. I wondered if that causes a problem with too much oil around the valve seals/stems. I didn't use a HV pump but did use a HP Melling pump. The only restriction I used was the smaller hole in the Cometic head gasket.

Respond to this message   
Brent Lykins
(Login blykins)
Members

Back in the 50's and 60's....

October 9 2017, 6:26 PM 

.....when you got this mountain of valve cover shaped sludge on top of the head, the tins were there to direct oil back to the lifter valley since the head drains were probably clogged up.

These days, they are completely unnecessary....as in....I've never used a set on a customer's engine.

When head drains are clear and the top end is set up correctly, there is not a problem with oiling. To add to that, I have a video on YouTube that shows the oil level at WOT on the dyno with a standard volume oil pump and no tins under the rockers. The oil level doesn't even get over the spring locator.

Most of the aftermarket FE's that you see floating around all the webpages don't have any factory tins in them. The valley pan turns into a piece of confetti when you try and make them work with link bar lifters and a lot of the aftermarket rocker arm systems won't work with drip tins. Not using them has really turned into a non-issue.

Respond to this message   
Adam Matteson
(Login feadam)
Members

restrictors

October 9 2017, 5:10 PM 

So you think I should remove the 060 restrictors, will it flood top of motor with oil?

Respond to this message   
Brent Lykins
(Login blykins)
Members

I would.

October 9 2017, 6:17 PM 

At least take them out of the block decks. If you think you need to add a restrictor later, put something in the feed hole in the head under the rocker stand.

Respond to this message   
Boxtop David
(Login davidleshay)
Members

Thank You Brent

October 10 2017, 2:32 PM 

Your input on this Forum is taken with the utmost respect. You always have very factual comments that are appreciated greatly!

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index