Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Offset disturbutor

October 9 2017 at 4:22 PM

Leny Mason  (Login LENYM)
Members

I need information on offset distributor a Friend wants me to make one for a Boss 351, what they used for gears and such I think the FE is different but maybe make it work any info would be good, Thanks Leny Mason

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Dan
(Login 32bantam)
Members

I have a real one if he's interested...

October 9 2017, 5:17 PM 

If you are referring to the offset timing cover drive such as H-M M/T and Cragar sold...Basically, the cam is extended with a spud drive that includes the same gear not much different than a Hilborn fuel pump drive. It can be made from an old cam shaft if you can't find one and final lash is often set with shims. The casting isn't very complex either but the SBF drive is insanely rare... significantly more so than the FE. In all reality you could convert any timing cover to this type unit with some fabrication.

Respond to this message   

Leny Mason
(Login LENYM)
Members

Pictures Please

October 11 2017, 4:44 AM 

And I will show him what you have, Thanks Leny Mason

Respond to this message   
Dan
(Login 32bantam)
Members

drive

October 11 2017, 2:50 PM 

Hey Leny,

Mine is a M/T timingcover drive as described above with the crank support built in and the only company I'm aware of making one for the SBF. The benefit here is that these do not wear out or need constant inspection. I also have a custom Boss 302 tunnel ram I considered using it with if he has a use. Text me at 33o-84for-six37o
or email Adamscoachandspeed@Gmail.com

I'll use it eventually but I'm trying get everything bought for my Fairlane so if he's serious about using it I'd sell or trade it for something I need currently.

, Dan

Respond to this message   

Mario428
(Login Mario428)
Members

Newer ones have belts

October 9 2017, 5:45 PM 

McMaster car sells small timing belts & sprockets.
Cut off 2 distributors and amke a space between for the belt drive to go.

This is a pic from this forum

http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/thread/1210266937/custom+offset+FE+distributor+and+more+EFI+photos---

Respond to this message   
Doug Siperly
(Login dougford)
Members

Boss 302

October 9 2017, 7:20 PM 

I used to have a Ford offset for boss302 trans am motor, and it used a small cog belt.if that helps at all? Doug

Respond to this message   
Bart
(Login RATPOISON511)
Members

Distributor

October 10 2017, 10:33 AM 

I made an offset distributor using an Fe MSD post and shaft from a unit I had. I purchased the top part from a Mopar Company in New York. I don't remember company name, however they did make Mopar cant valve RB heads.If you want, I will look up companies address. All I did was to drill and tap three holes in the post and screw the offset distributor to the post. I then had to put a small indentation in the shaft to connect the Gilmer belt sprocket to the shaft. The distributor worked perfectly. Hope this helps. Bart

Respond to this message   

Leny Mason
(Login LENYM)
Members

Thanks

October 11 2017, 4:48 AM 

That would be cool if you would, a friend will sell me a double distributor drive off a 426 Hemi it may be to big. Leny Mason

Respond to this message   
Randy
(Login 161854)
Members

The one Mario posted is..

October 10 2017, 4:01 PM 

How the Boss 302 and Boss 429 ( yes there was one for it too) were made. The lower was a special casting . It was made for carburetor clearance on the dual dominator engines with low profile IR intakes. I still have mine.

Respond to this message   
Dan
(Login 32bantam)
Members

Belt drive?

October 11 2017, 2:18 PM 

Hey Randy,

Were there belt drive off set distributors in 69-70 ? I've seen fabricated stuff but as in an off the shelf out the door part? I've found the gear on gear off set distributor from Holman Moody, their bolt on 90 degree timing cover mount version, the cast timing cover version for FE,and the Hilborn off set and fuel pump drives.
There was a guy on Ebay selling rough off set base castings at one point, I assumed they were gear on gear too...maybe those were belt drive and the middle pedestal was a tensioner pulley?

#edit, correcting autocorrect...lol

This message has been edited by 32bantam on Oct 11, 2017 2:21 PM

Respond to this message   
Randy
(Login 161854)
Members

Dan..

October 12 2017, 9:39 AM 

the offset Boss 302 distributor was used for '69 only, Boss 302 T/A engines that used the dual dominator carbs. They also have a Tbird style tach drive provision. It used a rubber belt between the two gears in the housing.

Respond to this message   
Dan
(Login 32bantam)
Members

Cool thanks!

October 13 2017, 4:26 PM 

Yeah,
I've been keeping an eye out for that intake. Doubt I'd ever actually get to use it but it's really slick looking. I remember someone casting copies in a small batch on FordMuscle years ago. Guess I never noticed the distributor.

Another was the Scott Engineering unit, that was gear on gear too. On that the drive base is interchangeable. It can be 289 on day FE the next. I decided to cut a rare part loose to buy one but the distributor drive sold the same day before the bread was delivered. Lol

Respond to this message   

Leny Mason
(Login LENYM)
Members

Randy any pictures

October 12 2017, 6:54 AM 

Please if you have any pictures that would help. Leny Mason

Respond to this message   
Randy
(Login 161854)
Members

Leny...

October 12 2017, 9:53 AM 

I am photo challenged but try googling MustangTek distributors and scroll down to C9ZE-C . The picture is upside down but it clearly shows the housing where the belt drive is located. There were 100 or more made . There was another one ( different casting) for a Boss 429 and I owned one of those as well. They were never "over the counter" available. Again '69 only.

Respond to this message   

Leny Mason
(Login LENYM)
Members

That's it

October 13 2017, 5:20 AM 

Thanks the x on it tells the hole story experimental, we might try to pour a casting that looks like that with out the tack drive. Leny Mason

Respond to this message   
Randy
(Login 161854)
Members

It's actually...

October 13 2017, 9:09 AM 

XF which is Experimental , Autolite division.

Respond to this message   
R
(Login RainyDaysAndMondays)
Members

Linkage

November 6 2017, 11:24 AM 

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index