Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

O/T - Brakes hung up?

October 9 2017 at 5:43 PM

Doug Bender  (Login fairlaniac)
Members

Over the weekend I was at Ocean City, MD's Endless Summer Cruise. 4 great days of cruising with thousands of other hot rodders. I had the '66 Fairlane out and all was well until late Saturday. A car passed me on the right, cut in front of me and immediately jammed the brakes due to heavy traffic. I did a panic stop really hammering the brake. It stopped fine, felt something odd through the pedal and stopped. Went to proceed and the back brakes were severely dragging. So I parked at one of the local parking lot shows. Hung out for a few hours and then headed back to our beach trailer 14 miles away. I figured if I burn the brakes up, no big deal and by the time I got back the smoke from the brakes was intense. The brakes were hot as can be. So I just loaded it on the trailer and came home on Sunday. The whole time the master cylinder would only allow me to push the pedal about 1/2" to 1" of total travel. The brakes still grabbed the front brakes and with the back brakes hung up, it stopped on a dime. So today I yanked the master cylinder (Ranger style). When I went to disassemble it I removed the clip holding the piston in and the back piston shot out like a bullet. I guess stored pressure? None of the components looked damaged. Any ideas what may have happened? Some pressure was still in the master cylinder but do you think the proportioning valve could be an issue?

I've always been a proponent of the Ranger M/C swap but I think if it fits, I may get a Wilwood master cylinder? Just not sure if I enjoy the thought of a $22 M/C stopping my Fairlane anymore?

I have new rear wheel cylinders, shoes, small parts kits in my NOS stash. The drums I may have turned or get new? Didn't decide on that yet as a thought of rear discs has entered in my mind.

Any thoughts of the cause?

Thanks,
[linked image]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FE Race & Reunion at Beaver Springs Dragway
http://www.fairlanet.com
[linked image]
Doug Bender
1966 Fairlane 390/4-Spd
Fairlane Club of America - President

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Robert
(Login machyoung)
Members

Pushrod Adjustment

October 9 2017, 6:09 PM 

I assume that your brakes are non-vacuum assist. My 68 Ranchero w/ vacuum assist locked-up on me after installing a new master cylinder vacuum booster. The adjustment on the push rod is critical. I actually drove mine for 10-15 minutes until, you guessed it, they got hot! Locked-up tighter than...Pedal had little to no travel. Had to have the car drug up onto a flatbed and towed home. Just giving you my story to see if it can help you? Good luck!

Respond to this message   

Doug Bender
(Login fairlaniac)
Members

Been running this set up...

October 9 2017, 6:33 PM 

...for 10 years?New master cylinder about 18 months ago. Then all of a sudden......
[linked image]
[linked image]
Doug Bender
1966 Fairlane 390/4-Spd

Respond to this message   
winr1
(Login winr1)
Members

..valve in M/C where rear line screws in perhaps .... N/M

October 9 2017, 7:58 PM 

Ricky.

This message has been edited by winr1 on Oct 9, 2017 8:00 PM

Respond to this message   
Jeffrey R.
(Login 52Ford390)
Members

Deteriorated brake hose.

October 9 2017, 8:54 PM 

It may look good on the outside, but the hose liner is coming apart inside.
JJR

Respond to this message   

Mark H
(Login 65hdtp)
Members

Re: O/T - Brakes hung up?

October 9 2017, 8:58 PM 

On older cars the rubber line connecting the hard line on the frame to the rear axle T block begins to deteriorate internally. This causes the internal rubber to separate and act like a flap allowing pressure to the rear brakes but blocks the pressure from releasing and the rear brakes remain engaged. Had this happen to me. Hope that helps.

Respond to this message   

Doug Bender
(Login fairlaniac)
Members

Nothing is very old.

October 10 2017, 3:57 AM 

While I've run the basic system, I do very well on preventative maintenance on parts. Everything on the back axle is less than 18 months old. Front calipers, hoses are probably 4 years old. Rotors, maybe 7 years old. M/C about 18 months old. Proportioning valve, a 40 year old piece. FYI - no Chinese parts anywhere.
[linked image]
[linked image]
Doug Bender
1966 Fairlane 390/4-Spd

Respond to this message   

Don
(Login vtdon)
Members

my experience

October 10 2017, 4:45 AM 

For a few years now, every Raybestos part I've purchased was made in China.

Respond to this message   
Brian
(Login BrianJaspercoia)
Members

Proportioning valve

October 10 2017, 2:49 PM 

West Coast Classic Cougar has a kit to rebuild the distribution and proportioning valves. What would have been interesting to know is if you opened a bleeder screw on one of the rear cylinders the rear brakes released. WCCC has a video on their website you can watch as they take the valves apart and put them back together.
When it comes to pedal push rod adjustment, you want the plunger in the master cyl to just uncover the compensating port with the pedal released. That's that port that squirts fluid up into the reservoir when you push on the pedal. If for some reason the pedal is no longer allowing the plunger to uncover the port you need to make the rod short enough to uncover the port.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index