Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

direction

October 10 2017 at 5:32 AM
RicMc  (Login RicMc)
Members

Is there a formula for the amount you cut the intake sides and bottom compared to the amount the block or heads are milled?
No luck on the search here and the internet is more confusing than help, but that could just be me. Any help, as always,
is greatly appreciated.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

john vermeersch
(Select Login johnvermeersch501)
Members

The OLD" Muscle Parts catalog" formula was

October 10 2017, 10:27 AM 

intake face, same as deck face, and bottom of intake 150%...BUT with all aftermarket,unmatched parts,used parts, always best to trial fit what you are using......JMHO

Respond to this message   

Bobby Spears
(Login x4rdtech)
Members

Re: direction

October 10 2017, 10:45 AM 

What I was told years ago was half of what you cut from the head gasket is real close.Of course a test fit should be done.What I done after cutting too much off of my 416 heads was a test fit before I had the intake side cut.I placed 4 shims the thickness of the 1020 compressed gaskets,set the intake on with a stud in the 4 corners,shimmed it to see how much was need to make the hole center on the studs.Got the heads back and was a perfect fit. So all I had to do was add silly cone sealer to the china wall and bolt all together.

Respond to this message   
Jeff H.
(Login wsu0702)
Members

Ford chart from 1969 Muscle Parts Catalog

October 10 2017, 11:53 AM 

Head_and_intake_milling_chart

This message has been edited by wsu0702 on Oct 10, 2017 11:54 AM

Respond to this message   
Jeff H.
(Login wsu0702)
Members

Here are the ...

October 10 2017, 1:25 PM 

equations for the chart above so that you can find the values for the head decking values not listed.

Amount removed from cylinder head = x

Amount to be removed from intake sides of intake manifold = 1.23x

Amount to be removed from bottom of intake manifold = 1.72x

Respond to this message   
MeanGene
(Login 2many427s)
Members

Let's see how long

October 11 2017, 4:56 AM 

It takes for that chart to pop up on Facebook under someone else's name- another instant expert will be born lol
[linked image][linked image]

Respond to this message   
Bill Ballinger
(Login 65billgal)
Members

I have three FE tech articles under three different names

October 11 2017, 5:07 PM 

The only one that has mine is on here. LOL

Respond to this message   

Falcon67
(Login Falcon67)
Members

Test fit before doing anything to a manifold.

October 10 2017, 1:21 PM 

I've had every block I have built cut from .008 to .016 and have yet to find an intake that required modification to line up. That is with stock type heads and aftermarket intakes. I have some mis-match on the 351C in the dragster but it's running AFD heads from Australia with a Funnelweb, also from AUS. They are a far departure from stock and the misalignment has nothing to do with decking the block. Bone stock block, bone stock iron intake - maybe you'd end up with the Ford guidelines. But - note that the published Ford dimensions are always "nominal" and that actual production varies quite a bit.

Respond to this message   
RicMc
(Login RicMc)
Members

428 Build

October 11 2017, 3:27 AM 

Thanks guys. Info on this forum is priceless. Background... 428 "A" scratch block date code 6B1 sonic tested bored to 4.170 stock 1U crank cut 20/20 and
c7ae rods. Diamond flat top 10-1 pistons. To get the block square we had to cut it to 10.1450 and 10.1452 hence my original question. Checked the deck
height before cutting and had .019 - .023 in the hole so we may have some issues here. We dusted the bottom of the aluminum heads just to get a fresh
surface and set them on a set of used gaskets to check intake. Heads and intake were port matched and it lined up great. Bolt holes, ports, and china wall
are all where they need to be. Thanks again for all the info. On with the build.

Respond to this message   
Jim
(Login Teammoose)
Members

Re: 428 Build

October 11 2017, 6:37 AM 

Let us know how much power this one makes.

Respond to this message   

Falcon67
(Login Falcon67)
Members

You did it right

October 12 2017, 6:43 AM 

I keep old gaskets around for just that reason - first mock up using used gaskets can tell you much.

Respond to this message   

WerbyFord
(Login werbyford)
Members

WATCH OUT I think that chart is WRONG. Ruins Intakes

October 11 2017, 9:11 PM 

I remember doing this before.
I used to be really smart - got A's in High School Geometry and all. USED to be anyway.

What I remember says that Muscle Chart is telling you to mill the intake TWICE what you should actually mill.
And if you do that you've ruined the intake.

Try a test fit first without milling.
Then if needed, mill HALF of what that chart says on each intake manifold face.
Then check the fit again.

I think the math on that Muscle Chart is the same math that gave us the S (S=Small) intake and the C7AE-A "TP" (Tiny Port) heads.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index