Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

428 block and crank value

October 10 2017 at 1:15 PM
Rich  (Login truckpoor)
Members

Both standard belongs to a friend, don't know if it is CJ stuff or not at the moment, and he says it will most likely need to be bored to 10 over. Range of value numbers on it would be good. Thanks,
Rich

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
PetesPonies
(Login PetesPonies)
Members

Here's a range . . .

October 10 2017, 1:42 PM 

$1000- $1400
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

Respond to this message   
Rich
(Login truckpoor)
Members

Does it matter which crank and block?

October 10 2017, 2:42 PM 

I would think CJ would be worth more than just a standard block and crank.

Respond to this message   

9T02R
(Login 9T02R)
Members

Re: Does it matter which crank and block?

October 10 2017, 2:45 PM 

...and you would be right.

Respond to this message   
jim oberg
(Login FOMOCOLOCO)
Members

cj block value

October 10 2017, 2:46 PM 

a standard bore CJ block will bring minimum $1500 locally if it has no issues. I don't have any left.

jim

Respond to this message   
PetesPonies
(Login PetesPonies)
Members

There's a lot of gray area with early pieces . . .

October 10 2017, 4:34 PM 

Cranks are exactly the same, CJ or not. As to the block, for a CJ restorer a date code and proper "C" on the back will make a difference. But there are blocks that are exactly the same as the early CJ blocks that may not have all the same markings. And just being able to prove it is a true 428 block makes it valuable. You can't do it with a casting number only.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

Respond to this message   
Lance
(Login 428kidd)
Members

Several things make up the value

October 10 2017, 6:41 PM 

Early two rib A scratch block are worth on the low side say 800 to 1000. Maybe a touch more if you get into 67 Shelby dates that goes up from there , say 1200.00 to 1500.00. Cranks 1u and 1ub will be 300 to 400 . 1ua goes up from there. It also requires a cookie cutter and a special balancer, which are expensive also. C scratch blocks with 3 ribs will bring them most as the cars are worth the most.The early 68.5 stuff will bring the best money. Mid 69 stuff is the most common. 70 stuff is harder to find and a little more money than 69. Jim has it about right for a good CJ block. Now having all that said to get the high end it need stop be cleaned and magged from a shop showing that it is good. No sleeves or no damage. Any damage it goes down from there. Also most blocks that have been ran much will need bored more than .010 over. That is only .005 on each side. If you can get by with .020 would be a real nice block. Hope that helps

This message has been edited by 428kidd on Oct 11, 2017 6:54 AM

Respond to this message   

6667fan
(Login 6667fan)
Members

X2 on Lance's assessment. N/M. JB

October 11 2017, 5:43 AM 

Every second counts

This message has been edited by 6667fan on Oct 11, 2017 5:44 AM

Respond to this message   
Rich
(Login truckpoor)
Members

Many thanks to all of you.

October 11 2017, 8:34 AM 

I will try and get more information on the block and crank numbers etc. I will most likely not be interested in the block and crank, but you never know. If not interested, I will list what it is and what he wants. Good friend and just trying to help him establish a price. Will also try and get pics.
Thanks to all,
Rich

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index