Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Vibration update

October 11 2017 at 4:49 AM
John  (Login johncougaruk)
Members

I've had some really good news from my latest (third) engine builder. History is that I had a bad vibration from my 428.

As I suspected (or at least one of my suspicions) the engine, when originally built 15+ years ago, had been internally balanced and I bolted a weighted 428 flex plate to it unaware of the internal balancing.

The bad news is that there was a lot of shrapnel from the wiped lobes still in the engine despite it been stripped down for the new cam by the last builder. All I plan to do is to take of the weights the from the flex plate and re install.

Regards

John

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Pete
(Login 427funn)
Members

More to it

October 11 2017, 8:50 AM 

I would check the bearings,I have seen it before,bearings are probably shot

Respond to this message   
Tom P
(Login tomposthuma)
Members

weights

October 11 2017, 9:39 AM 

Don't go cutting off weights, get a 360-390 flexplate and try that. If it makes it worse you may need to put that back on.

Unless it's a bent crank snout or mangled lower pulley the internal balance thing is probable... but it will show with added weights in the crank.

Respond to this message   
John
(Login johncougaruk)
Members

re-build

October 12 2017, 4:28 AM 

Thanks for the responses.

The engine is being treated to line honing with new bearings before it gets balance checked again.

I'll get a 390 flexplate for it and hang the 428 one on the wall as a reminder never to assume and always talk to my engine builder in the future.

hopefully I'll be a forum member with an FE powered car finally after 15 years!

Regards

John

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index