Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

I may have gone to far-solutions or opinions please?

November 30 2017 at 9:53 AM
Leland  (Login lhstanford)
Members

I did , what was supposed to be a gasket match clean up on my brother-in-laws 429 CJ marine engine heads. I reached as far as I could into the runners with a carbide tip on my die grinder, then smoothed using a drum roll. I just removed the intake after a very short run time since complete rebuild. I had a couple lifters clattering, suspecting a flat cam. edelbrock cam kit installed on rebuild. I found 3 tiny cracks. Diagonally down the runners. Is there any such thing as a magnaflux system I could use with the heads still bolted down? There's no sign 'yet' of coolant leak, maybe not a crack. Any info shared is appreciated.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Chris McAlpine
(Login chris401)
Members

Zyglo By Magnaflux

November 30 2017, 12:03 PM 

01-3354-77
01-3187-77
01-5750-77

Respond to this message   
Travis
(Login country63sedan)
Members

Two parts spray cans

November 30 2017, 2:12 PM 

We used some stuff at work for checking steer axles for cracks. Cleaned it up good, sprayed it with one can, then sprayed it with the other. A crack would show up if it was there. Can't think of the name on the can though. A google search should yield something. Later, Travis

Respond to this message   

Phil Brown
(Login LowETCars)
Members

Crack Check

November 30 2017, 8:55 PM 

Dye penetrant type of product,most welding supply shops should have some type or might try McMaster Carr

Respond to this message   
Leland
(Login lhstanford)
Members

thanks for replies

December 1 2017, 6:50 AM 

Respond to this message   

WerbyFord
(Login werbyford)
Members

Magnaflux 3wu59-60 2 spray cans

December 1 2017, 11:09 AM 

This stuff maybe?
I have a 3.984 crank that is allegedly cracked, I cant see anything by eye, but even for a low-budget build under 5000rpm I hate to use it before checking myself.

Shows 2 cans, 1 penetrant, 1 developer, then a cleanup spray but maybe lacquer thinner or acetone would work for cleanup?

https://www.grainger.com/product/MAGNAFLUX-Penetrant-3WU62?gclid=Cj0KCQiAmITRBRCSARIsAEOZmr4w6hxI4uksO1HBC1qL2LeImGscQV1hKiqTdO0QRkbK7tQyUKewV94aAurxEALw_wcB&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!70811101823!b!!g!!&ef_id=WZ282wAAAH8wZyvG:20171201190302:s

Respond to this message   
Bones
(Login boneyard51)
Members

Re: I may have gone to far-solutions or opinions please?

December 1 2017, 11:34 AM 

Maybe I’m not understanding the problem here, but with my magnafluxer, I would make sure the valve was closed, tape off other ports, Valley, , maybe stuff tissue paper down around the valve,put my machine on it , check it. Then vacuum it, blow it with compressed air. And call it good. Bones

Respond to this message   
Bart
(Login RATPOISON511)
Members

Old Trick

December 2 2017, 12:40 AM 

Old timers used to soak area with gas where the was a crack. Then, they would gently wipe area off with a dry rag, The gas would come out of the crack. LoL Try it, it works. Be careful with the gas.

Respond to this message   
Leland
(Login lhstanford)
Members

I'm an old timer. Must have missed that one. Sounds simpleist. Thanks

December 2 2017, 6:46 PM 

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index