Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Seats

December 1 2017 at 9:53 AM
Bones  (Login boneyard51)
Members

Ok, I was in need of bucket seat chrome trim and didn’t have any, put out some inquires and am now have too many! Can any of you Tbird guys tell me what that extra handle on the passenger seat does? I’ve got a tbird set and a xl set now. Don’t know which to use. Bones

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Dan
(Login 32bantam)
Members

Extra handle

December 1 2017, 10:14 AM 

It reclines the seat back. I'm not sure if it was optional or a part year change in regard to my 66 Qcode cars. One has it and the other earlier build did not which I just recently noticed. This car also has powered seat tracks on both driver and passenger seats where the parts car had a manual passenger seat and neither reclined.

*Also if I wasn't clear both seats in this car recline where the other did not. Both were original unrestored cars with nice interiors with no reason to believe anything was changed. FWIW However I've not gotten around to really researching why some cars have them and others do not.

This message has been edited by 32bantam on Dec 1, 2017 10:23 AM

Respond to this message   
Bones
(Login boneyard51)
Members

Re: Extra handle

December 1 2017, 10:26 AM 

That’s what I thought it must be. The set I have has been setting for a while and it didn’t seem to want to recline. Does it recline all the way or just a little? Do you know how difficult it would be to change the upholstered cushions from the XL to the Tbird reclining frame? Bones

Respond to this message   
Dan
(Login 32bantam)
Members

Seat

December 1 2017, 11:09 AM 

Mine lay back 90 degrees but due to the pivot point location it doesn't look too comfortable. If the frame is the same I doubt there is any challenge to making the swap work. Hard to say though without having actually done it but I had the same idea for these. Most of the time between similar years and models it's a matter of the foam and cover. Even specific details more often that not are shared in the frame design even when not used.

Respond to this message   
Bones
(Login boneyard51)
Members

Re: Seat

December 1 2017, 11:16 AM 

Kinda my thoughts also, just didn’t want to get seats scattered all over the shop and find out it won’t work and could of just changed one pice tof trim. Maybe some one else will chime in. Bones

Respond to this message   
Dave B
(Login grandsport51)
Members

Reclining Seat

December 1 2017, 1:31 PM 

I've worked on at least 2 dozen of these. I've never seen a reclining Seat on drivers side.
Are both recline controls on the same side see brochure link
http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Ford_Thunderbird/1966%20Ford%20Thunderbird/1966%20Ford%20Thunderbird%20Brochure/image7.html

Respond to this message   
Dan
(Login 32bantam)
Members

Bird seat

December 2 2017, 8:29 PM 

Dave you were right !
I spent some time working on the Bird today. Both are full power but only the passenger reclines. I swore there was a handle on the right side of the drivers seat and there was.... problem is it wasn't connected to anything.lol It was just Jambed between the seat and console.
Taking a look it's cable operated though and I don't see any reason so far that the lever can not be made to work on the left side of the seat and used as a driver. I might have look in to this further.

Bones, if you push down on the handle it reclines, pull up and it locks upright. If yours is stuck, I'd guess the cable is the problem.

Respond to this message   
Bones
(Login boneyard51)
Members

Re: Seats

December 1 2017, 2:10 PM 

Well, you guys must be mind readers! That’s kinda what I thought I’d do if it would work. Put a T-bird recliner passenger seat on the drivers side, so both seats would recline. Don’t know if there is enough room for the handle on the right side of the seat, might hit the console. I know it will be tight and awkward to use, but then I will be the one using it, so if it will fit I may try it! Now I need another seat! Is there no end to this seat business!!! Bones

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index