Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Black plastic debris under both valve covers (pics)

December 3 2017 at 3:47 PM
Homers65  (Login farmallmta)
Members

Chunks of black plastic found under both valve covers of a friend's '72 F100 360. It's under both valve covers near the drainback holes of the heads at each end. It doesn't seem to be solidified oil gunk, more like hard shiny plastic.

Anybody have any ideas what it could be?

[linked image]

This message has been edited by farmallmta on Dec 3, 2017 4:08 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

DaleP
(Login Posi-67)
Members

Hardened valve stem seal pieces would be my guess.. n/m

December 3 2017, 3:52 PM 

Respond to this message   

Button
(Login cliffrod)
Members

X2 - old umbrella valve stem seals

December 3 2017, 4:22 PM 

Time for new valve seals. You can clean things up well and install new ones on the engine in an afternoon without big drama.
1967 Galaxie 500 Red original Q code 428
1967 Galaxie 500 White with Black stripes 428PI clone- car is dead & long gone, sold near Oak Ridge TN 2000, would love to find it.....
Please visit http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/ for pictures, information and video links to my work.

Respond to this message   

john vermeersch
(Select Login johnvermeersch501)
Members

X3..BUT...the real concern is

December 3 2017, 4:37 PM 

how much has already gotten into the oil pan ??? They will clog the pick-up tube and starve the oil supply

Respond to this message   
Homers65
(Login farmallmta)
Members

and... oil pressure at higher RPM is low, OK at low RPM

December 3 2017, 6:11 PM 

Nice internet troubleshooting! My friend's idea is to prepare another engine to go into the truck, so he likely won't replace the valve seals on this engine. He may check the oil pump pickup tube for clogs, correct that and keep running the truck until the other engine is ready.

Respond to this message   

WerbyFord
(Login werbyford)
Members

Or it will snap the distrib shaft

December 3 2017, 7:29 PM 

We did that once on a fresh build. Well, fresh in the car. Did bearings & oil pump, cleaned screen, engine still in car, not a fun job wrestling the oil pan past the Galaxie x-member.

Fired it up, ran great, no oil pressure. Well, wait a few seconds. Ok quite a few. Ok this isn't right.
Pull it back apart - distrib shaft snapped - a piece of that valve seal crap got THRU the screen and locked up the pump.
Fortunately we were just letting it idle -
At full throttle this would have cost us the engine.

if its giving signals like starving at high RPM I would fix that ASAP before you lose a shaft - and the engine!

Respond to this message   
Homers65
(Login farmallmta)
Members

good point! I'll pass that along to him! NM

December 3 2017, 7:33 PM 

NM

Respond to this message   
Rory McNeil
(Login RMCJ428)
Members

X2.

December 3 2017, 8:22 PM 

Had exactly that happen on the freeway, and although I shut the engine off within seconds of noticing the hydraulic lifters start ticking, and the idiotlight coming on, and coasted to the side of the freeway , the damage was done. The engine was already siezed, and when I pulled the distributor, 1/2 of the broken oil pump drive rod came out with it, looking much lake a piece of wrought iron. I had planned on replacing those broken brittle valve stem seals, as well as the stock nylon toothed timing chain set, but put it off because the car ran so nicely. Being lazy bit me in the ass.If you were to pry back the sheet metal baffle on most Ford oil pump pickup screens, there is a nice round hole in the mesh, just the perfect size for a chunk of hard valve stem seal of nylon cam tooth to find its way into the oil pump rotors, and lock it up solid.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index