Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

What motor oil to use?

December 4 2017 at 11:42 AM

John Bednorz  (Login 68RCodeConv)
Members

I have a 428 stroked to 462 with Edelbrock heads and BT intake. I've got about 2000 miles on the motor. Very mild solid roller cam (hp peak around 5300) so don't have to worry about wiping cam lobes. I've been running 15W-40 Rotella (diese) motor oil with a Motorcraft high pressure oil filter. Cold it has 50 psi at idle with it dropping to about 25 psi once the motor warms up. At 3000 rpm with the motor warmed up it has about 75 psi. A lot of my driving is at low speeds in a dense urban area (Houston).

Do you think that pressure is excessive? Would you recommend a different oil/viscosity? I would prefer to run Mobil 1 (10W-30?) but obviously I don't know what the oil pressure readings would be if I did that or if going synthetic would cause issues.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Faron
(Login Faron)
Members

You will be fine , Id expect a 5#lb pressure drop at Idle N/M

December 4 2017, 12:08 PM 

Respond to this message   
Brent Lykins
(Login blykins)
Members

With you being in Texas....

December 4 2017, 12:10 PM 

....that's probably a good viscosity to run.

That oil pressure is perfectly fine and you will most likely lose some if you dropped to a 10W-30, especially when the oil gets good and hot.

On a side note, I agree that you won't have any flat tappet cam wiping issues, but depending on the valve spring pressure, cam profile, and lifters you used, you may run the risk of losing a solid roller lifter after some miles. Some of the older Comp Cams solid roller lifters were not lasting 3000 miles before spitting bearings out.

For a 5300 rpm hp peak, a hydraulic roller is the easiest and safest route.

Respond to this message   
Chris McAlpine
(Login chris401)
Members

North West Of You

December 4 2017, 12:46 PM 

Been running Rotella 15w40 but have not seen anything lower than 17°F in the past several years. Don't remember anything over 50 psi on the cold days. Summer time hot idle is 22 psi.

In the DFW area I ran a high volume pump and Pennzoil 60. Cooler than here, cold morning idle was never over 90-110psi at it's highest. Didn't damage that engine from too high oil pressure.

This message has been edited by chris401 on Dec 4, 2017 3:46 PM

Respond to this message   
Jeffrey R.
(Login 52Ford390)
Members

West of you...

December 4 2017, 3:18 PM 

near San Antonio and have the same oil pressures. I run name brand 10-40, plus a 1/4 pt. lucas break in additive for my solid cam. Just turned 20k miles and no problems.
JJR

Respond to this message   
Bones
(Login boneyard51)
Members

Oil

December 4 2017, 3:58 PM 

Put some “Power-up “in your oil and you’ll have no worries. Bones

Respond to this message   
Chris
(Login Chris68GT)
Members

Oil Pressure

December 4 2017, 7:54 PM 

I wouldn't change it, your pressures sound good. When it gets hotter it gets thinner I would imagine idling around Houston is toasty. I like high oil pressure, I usually run 20w50 in my stuff with FL-1HP filters on, I just let them warm up before any spirited driving.
Photobucket

1968 GT Mustang Fastback
1966 Fairlane 500 Hardtop

Respond to this message   

Paul
(Premier Login FEfinaticP)
Members

Don't think Mobil-1 10W30 has the the best additives

December 7 2017, 12:54 AM 

Their 15W50 synthetic is not for the catalytic converter cars and has around 1200 ppm zinc, which is quite good for flat tapper motors.

Their 10W30 synthetic is s good oil for more modern motors with turbochargers and catalytic converters (ZDDP is tough on cats so the count is down for modern motors), etc, but would need an additive for flat tappets to boost the ZDDP count up happy.gif

Paul
"\"\""

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index