Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Fairlane exhaust update

December 4 2017 at 5:19 PM

Bobby Spears  (Login x4rdtech)
Members

the local muffler shop will build a set at his shop Friday for $600.It will have 24" glass packs.I will take it there Thursday PM and pick it up Friday.That way I know it will be done right,he has the best rep in the area.Cant wait to start driving it a little.
Just wondering if the H pipe is better or not.

This message has been edited by x4rdtech on Dec 4, 2017 5:21 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Lance
(Login 428kidd)
Members

Bobby I would use

December 4 2017, 5:51 PM 

Some type of balance tube. Either a H pipe or a X pipe. I have used both and like either.

Respond to this message   

WerbyFord
(Login werbyford)
Members

Make sure glasspacks dont have louvers

December 4 2017, 10:34 PM 

or neck down!
Glasspacks are great, for sound (next best thing to open) and power IF:
1. Avoid the kind where the louvers stick out into the airflow
2. Avoid the kind where the core is smaller than the exhaust pipe itself - they neck down inside!

On the H-pipe:
A good low-restriction muffler, like the above or other, will "act" like the end of the pipe, like the end of the collector in open headers. Well ok, not THAT good, but that's what SHOULD happen if the muffler is big enough / loose enough.

So, view the length of exhaust pipe, from headers to muffler, as the "collector" - just kind of a long one, like 4-5 feet.
Kinda long for most drag racing.

An H or X also "acts" like the end of the collector. Again, doesn't do a perfect job but other than open headers, nothing does a perfect job. Advantage of the H or X is you can put it up further so the "effective" collector is shorter, tuned more for the mid-range.

Respond to this message   

John
(Login johnsf)
Members

Re: Make sure glasspacks dont have louvers

December 5 2017, 6:45 AM 

This topic got a laugh out of me this morning. Back in the day when we would install a new glass pack we would pour in a quart of cheap oil into the muffler before installing. The theory seemed to be that the oil would burn and blow out the fiberglass when started to make them sound better.
J.
1956 Ford F-100 460/C6
1964 Galaxie 500/390

Respond to this message   

Falcon67
(Login Falcon67)
Members

Glasspacks

December 5 2017, 7:43 AM 

I personally prefer Dynomax Bullets - well made, no oddball protrusions into the flow. Not expensive either and built solid. The ones on my car can register to vote.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index