Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

1965 Galaxie

December 5 2017 at 2:47 PM
Bones  (Login boneyard51)
Members

I'm planning on putting a 416 (410+.030) in my 65 Galaxie. The factory 427 long tube headers are now out of my reach financial. I think I read some where the 68 Cobra Jet exhaust manifolds will fit the 65 Galaxie. Has anyone here actually done this? I built this engine many years ago, I believe it has the 390 GT heads on it, will the CJ manifold bolt to these heads? Bones

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Ed Jenkins
(Login Galaxie)
Members

They might, what do you have against steel tube headers?

December 5 2017, 5:21 PM 

.......several manufacturers make decent long tube headers from steel.
Ed Jenkins

Ford Galaxie Club of America member #3350
1966 Galaxie 500 Convertible built in Chicago Illinois, will have a 400 horse 390, trick C6, Crites Aluminum radiator and a rust free frame from the south. Work continues.

This message has been edited by Galaxie on Dec 5, 2017 5:34 PM

Respond to this message   
Bones
(Login boneyard51)
Members

Re: They might, what do you have against steel tube headers?

December 5 2017, 5:52 PM 

Mainly leaks and that tinny sound

Respond to this message   
Tom P
(Login tomposthuma)
Members

they need work to fit

December 5 2017, 7:09 PM 

The CJ manifolds will fit the ports, not sure about the car, might aim the left exit at the steering box.
But you need to drill and tap a new hole in the head for one exhaust manifold bolt . The upper hole on the drivers side, a GT head has those end holes about 1/2" lower

Respond to this message   
Dan
(Login 32bantam)
Members

Manifold

December 6 2017, 3:01 PM 

If it's really what you are after I think you should wait it out or find a cheaper repaired set. Plus not everyone is hip to the sudden surge in price of these. For example the "cheap" Ohio Craigslist set posted in the classifieds was from a buddy that specializes in FE stuff and that was his wake up call people wanted them at all. This guy has been doing swapmeets longer than I've been alive. Same guy took an NOS 427 block out of the crate just to have a clean block to mock up his Willys so he's no FNG... he just didn't know things had changed. I've found a few sets in just the last couple years, muttered that they weren't early ones more than once and walked away being they were half the cost or less of the 63's. Before reading how "rare and expensive" these are on here I had no interest and there for no idea I should of bought them as trading material. I'm just saying there is hope and they are still out there is all.

On the other end of things what about building a copy of the manifold in steel? Even a cheap off the shelf header normally only leaks due to warped flanges and junk gaskets that come in the box. No idea when I could get to it but if someone wants a set made I'm willing to do it. A mockup set would be best but I can build to spec and send them for a test fit, revise if needed and then make a permanent fixture. Time would add up quick but still be reasonable and you could dictate tube sizes, factory details etc.

Respond to this message   
Bones
(Login boneyard51)
Members

Re: Manifold

December 6 2017, 3:14 PM 

I haven’t given up on finding the Holy Grail, a set of ‘65 long tube headers, but like you say they’ve gone out of sight. I would easily buy a set that have or need repairs. I’m an old hand at welding cast iron. My car is a fun street car, not , nor will ever be, a show car, but I do like it to look nice, the way I like it. I have a set of 68 CJ exhaust manifolds and read one time that they would fit. Can’t really try them, as I have a 289 in both my 65s. Just bench racing now. Bones

This message has been edited by boneyard51 on Dec 6, 2017 3:15 PM

Respond to this message   
Tom P
(Login tomposthuma)
Members

heavy steel

December 6 2017, 3:51 PM 

You could build something that looks like the factory long tubes but using 2" diameter 1/8" wall steel. Get some small radius 90 degree bends and some straight pipe and flat 1/8" plate.

Respond to this message   

WerbyFord
(Login werbyford)
Members

Bones, what is your engine combo?

December 6 2017, 1:50 PM 

If you want I can gonkulate it and see what options would even be worth it.
The 68-up 2-1/4 flat logs will work a little better and are pretty good up to 330hp-350hp, might save some bucks or hassle.
And they are dirt cheap like $70 a pair or so.
If you can describe the engine/driveline/car I can see what might be worth it, or not.

Respond to this message   
Bones
(Login boneyard51)
Members

Re: Bones, what is your engine combo?

December 6 2017, 2:12 PM 

I may get throwed out of the forum for this, but custom manifolds are more important to me than performance. This car probably won’t see the strip, just want something that will set you back in your seat stop light to stop light. As for my engine, I built it 20 some years ago for a good friend, ended up with it a few years after that, been in the barn since. The things I remember were mild compression, small hydraulic cam, stock valve train, GT heads that I just cleaned up a little, no porting. Iron manifold ,750 vacuum Holley, electronic ignition. In the 76 Ford truck it has a set of Headman headers on it. I would guess it about 350 hp or so.I know this is very vague, the truck is in my barn a few miles away. Haven’t looked at it it a few years. Coupled with the “built “ c6 with a 2800 or so stall, 3:73 gears, it would come out of the hole real good. Would even use a set of GT manifolds, that everyone dislikes, as I have two sets, if they would fit my Galaxie. Would like to talk to someone who has actually used something other than the logs, on a 65 Galaxie, just don’t like the looks of them. Plan on putting my 3x2 on it eventually, mainly for looks. Bones

This message has been edited by boneyard51 on Dec 6, 2017 2:39 PM

Respond to this message   

Button
(Login cliffrod)
Members

Another option

December 6 2017, 7:31 PM 

I'm totally with you re: the long manifolds, man. They look cooler than anything else exhaust-related under the hood of a Galaxie.

what about looking for a partial trade or sale/purchase using your CJ manifolds? Aside from the sporadic price jumps, Repaired 65-67 long manifolds seem to consistently hover at or below $1k as actual selling prices. If CJ manifolds will bring around $700-$800 ( don't follow them but that's what it looks like they're doing on eBay), that's pretty close. Might even find someone with a damaged/repaired set that would trade even for good CJ manifolds. Turning CJ (plus GT manifolds if needed) into 427 Long Manifolds sounds like a good deal to me.

I'm also with you on what they cost. I had to get creative to afford and lucky to find the set I got for my car, but they were the only thing I wanted on it. They look right, even if my plain engine doesn't need them in terms of hp.

And as long as we're speaking truth to power, CJ parts are for smaller cars- not Galaxies.... That's what I think.

Good luck with your hunt.
1967 Galaxie 500 Red original Q code 428
1967 Galaxie 500 White with Black stripes 428PI clone- car is dead & long gone, sold near Oak Ridge TN 2000, would love to find it.....
Please visit http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/ for pictures, information and video links to my work.

Respond to this message   
Bones
(Login boneyard51)
Members

Long

December 6 2017, 8:34 PM 

That would work, but my grandson inherited the 68 CJ, might get pissed off if I trade off his manifolds, probably wouldn’t if I borrowed them. The 390 GTs are up for sale, as is about 10 9 inch N cases and such. Bones

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index