Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Holley carb with finish removed.

December 6 2017 at 4:53 PM
kleandan  (Login kleandan)
Members

I am working on a 4160 Holley. Today when I cleaned the carb the finish came off like paint. Because I have cleaned many carbs with zero issues I suspect this may have indeed been paint. I really did not look too closely at the carb before taking it apart and sending it through the ultrasonic cleaner.

After close inspection all the parts are in excellent condition with very little corrosion anywhere.
Oh sure there is the standard little bit of corrosion in the bottoms of the float bowls, otherwise it looks really nice...other than the finish being gone.
I suspect this was cleaned with something very harsh at some point in its life and somebody did a nice job of painting a metallic finish on the parts.

I am wondering if this lack of finish will have a gross detrimental effect on how the carb functions for the next few years.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Drew Pojedinec
(Login DeepRoots78)
Members

Re: Holley carb with finish removed.

December 6 2017, 5:56 PM 

Functions? no, it should stay ok for awhile.
Thing is tho, dichromate acts like a sacrificial layer on the zinc. If the pores are open in the zinc it'll want to corrode.

Worst case scenario, toss it on and see how well it fares, parts aren't going to fall off it, it'll just look bad if it starts to get nasty.

Respond to this message   
winr1
(Login winr1)
Members

What kind of ultrasonic cleaner ya have if I may ask ?? ... N/M

December 6 2017, 6:48 PM 

Ricky.

Respond to this message   

Falcon67
(Login Falcon67)
Members

Holley finish

December 7 2017, 6:47 AM 

Sounds like someone spruced it up with paint from Eastwood.
http://www.eastwood.com/carb-renew-2-bronze-aerosol-5-oz.html

Lack of finish won't hurt a carb other than looks - provided you get all the paint crap out of it (good luck on the main wells and air bleed wells). The original finish is zinc dichromate IIRC.

Respond to this message   
Gary
(Login garywittman)
Members

My finish

December 7 2017, 9:17 AM 

When I restored my 735 Holley, I stripped the original finish (in bad condition) by a light glass bead blast. I then ultrasonic cleaned it to get all the glass bead out. I refinished by dipping in a standard aluminum chem-film solution (dichromate). It does not look exactly like the original but close enough.

That was done 12 years ago and it still looks as good as it did then after restoration.

Respond to this message   
wayne aldrich
(Login striptripper53)
Members

holleys

December 7 2017, 9:23 AM 

I have had good luck with alodine its made for aircraft it wont look factory but it holds up well.

Respond to this message   
Drew Pojedinec
(Login DeepRoots78)
Members

Re: holleys

December 7 2017, 9:38 AM 

Alodine 1201 works decently.

I've gotten to plating and have about 6 different dichromates for slightly different colors.
I especially like more of an Olive over the gold.

I can't post images here, but if you do facebook, check these out: https://www.facebook.com/AirFuelSParkTech/

Respond to this message   
Ed Jenkins
(Login Galaxie)
Members

Cost? Curious as to the fumes too. Nm

December 7 2017, 6:33 PM 

Ed Jenkins

Ford Galaxie Club of America member #3350
1966 Galaxie 500 Convertible built in Chicago Illinois, will have a 400 horse 390, trick C6, Crites Aluminum radiator and a rust free frame from the south. Work continues.

Respond to this message   
Drew Pojedinec
(Login DeepRoots78)
Members

Re: Cost? Curious as to the fumes too. Nm

December 7 2017, 6:54 PM 

Ed,
Want me to send you the MSDS? If so, just give me your email.
As far as cost, I gave a link that contains that info, which probably wouldn't be proper to talk about here on a tech forum.

Respond to this message   
wayne aldrich
(Login striptripper53)
Members

alodine

December 8 2017, 9:21 AM 

I got a gal off ebay use in a open area treat it like any acid.

Respond to this message   
winr1
(Login winr1)
Members

Golden an clear alodine ...

December 9 2017, 10:48 PM 

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/search/search.php?s=Alodine&x=0&y=0

Royce said treat this with respect .....

Ricky.

Respond to this message   
Drew Pojedinec
(Login DeepRoots78)
Members

Re: Golden an clear alodine ...

December 10 2017, 10:32 AM 

I like the Alodine treatment more on aluminum and less on zinc. It's neat on zinc but it certainly cannot be confused with an original Holley look.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index