Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

428 pistons

January 8 2018 at 8:58 PM
JT  (Login gasser64)
Members

I found a set of used TRW dome top pistons part number L2294. They look like they are in great shape but I was told they were too heavy and obsolete junk. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
vanscooter
(Login vanscooter)
Members

Use them

January 9 2018, 3:42 AM 

True the modern designs are better but if you have them use them. If you have a bigger budget buy new but unless you are going racing use them. They are forged. My 2 cents

Respond to this message   
Rory McNeil
(Login RMCJ428)
Members

Re: Use them

January 9 2018, 5:53 AM 

I agree, I have used the Speed Pro 7024P for many years in the several 428s I have ran thru my Fairmont, I believe that they are the same piston as the TRWs. They use 1/16" rings, and really are not that terribly heavy. They may not be the latest state of the art, ultratrick whiz bang design, but they are a good quality durable piston that have always served me well. Now, if I was gonna be revving 7500+ RPM all the time......

Respond to this message   

Ross
(Login Bad427stang)
Members

I agree

January 11 2018, 6:30 AM 

There is insurance in lighter pistons if you spin it high, there is more room for valves in modern pistons, and there is single digit horsepower in smaller ring packs. You can also run them a little tighter as the new stuff doesn't grow as much with heat. Additionally, you can pick exact compression heights and dish/dome size without spending much more money than modern off the shelf.

This is all good stuff, but that doesn't mean the old ones are bad, they can be reliable and do what you want if you don't need those options, and the Speedpro or TRWs fit your use, there is no reason not to.
[linked image]
---------------------------------
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 445 cid FE, headers, RPM intake, 1000 HP series Holley, 4 speed

Respond to this message   
Bill Ballinger
(Login 65billgal)
Members

I have a set of .060 over L2292s that the skirts are a little beat but with 1/16/16/3/16

January 14 2018, 3:30 PM 

The L2292Fs were made of 2618 alloy and have the pin oiling grooves, tours are likely the same. I would love to use them in my 105 3 rib block. Get a 4" stroker kit with 6.58 rods and it would be a screamer at 424 ci. If I had a chance on a set of those, heck yes. I think they are 1.66 CH, mine I think are 1.75 or 6. Good pistons set them up loose and let them hammer until they warm up.

The domes have been milled on mine and the skirts are somewhat collapsed, I have the 260 moly rings filed for 4.11 but my 68 block is just too thin. After a sonic on my other one I may just stick them in a 390 stroke 400 inch engine. I know it would still be a screamer, I wish I had a new set of L2292F*60's domes. 1/16/16/3/16 rings really take a load off the spin.

Respond to this message   
Jack Tindle
(Login JacksFordParts)
Members

They are only obsolete if your wallet isn't. N/M

January 10 2018, 8:55 AM 

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index