Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Comp cams MHF camshaft lobes

January 9 2018 at 1:48 AM
manofcyclones  (Login manofcyclones)
Members

Looking over my comp. cams catalog it seems they have a set of cam lobes designed to work with the ford .875 lifter .There have a FL SQ lobe series for the ford lifter and others as well .But I am curious about this MHF series Be mindful these are for solid cams .How do these lobes compare to the old standard 236s or 294s The specs on lobe # 7394 is 236@.050 @.200.152 lift with 1.7 rockers is 607 .The old 236s is 236 @.050 lift 571.My question is this what would happen if you went from the 236s to a cam ground with the same LSA and the above lobe specs .For this MHF series of camshaft lobes they have quite a selection from a 234@.o50 604 lift to 272@.050 with 680 lift .A total of 14 lobes .These lobes would work for all ford engines ( except the Y block)Just something to consider look this up guys if you have some spare time with the cold weather I have had a bit of time recently .If I were to go with a cam ground with the MHF lobes it would be for my 452 cu.in. engine with edelbrock heads and a sidewinder intake c6 transmission street car .

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Brent Lykins
(Login blykins)
Members

The MHF lobes are very aggressive....

January 9 2018, 3:09 AM 

...and I wouldn't recommend them for a street car. If you look at the catalog, you'll see that they require extra oiling, which usually means oiling by the way of an EDM lifter. Lobes with this kind of aggression need different spring requirements and probably just won't have the longevity that you would want for a street car.

Also keep in mind that just because it doesn't say ".875 lifter" somewhere in the lobe description, it doesn't mean you can't use it on a Ford. As a matter of fact, you can use pretty much any lobe in that solid flat tappet section of the catalog with a Ford lifter. A larger lifter diameter will change the specs ever so slightly, but they are compatible.

The lobes towards the top of the section are the ones you would want for a street car. When you start getting into the XTX and XTQ lobes, then the lobe aggression starts going up considerably, which means that you have to take a new mindset in oiling and spring pressure requirements.

If you stay with an Xtreme Energy, High Torque, High RPM, or Tight Lash lobe, you should be pretty free to do what you want.

To get to your other question, for a duration as short as what you're discussing, i.e. a 236 or 248 @ .050", it's not worth it to go to the aggressive lobes. The rpm just won't be there. In addition to that, the advertised durations on the aggressive lobes are shorter as well, which means that your engine's tolerance to pump gas will not be as high as well.

If you're looking to play around with some different lobes for your 452, there are more reliable and effective ways to do it. At your rpm level, the most gain will be from splitting the durations to match the cylinder head flow, tweaking the LSA, and picking a lobe that will use your head's valve lift the best.....all while keeping an eye on compression ratio requirements.

This message has been edited by blykins on Jan 9, 2018 3:10 AM

Respond to this message   
manofcyclones
(Login manofcyclones)
Members

mhf lobes

January 10 2018, 2:36 AM 

Well thanks for your explanation Brent .As much as anything I want others to see there are more cams available other that the common 282s 294s .And my thinking is if a cam were ground for a ford lifter (instead of a chevy) there might be an advantage .But the ford lifter is only.033 larger.I read about the additional oiling also since I have a center oiler block maybe not a candidate for these lobes unless I used the edm lifters If you don't think these mhf lobes are good for a street car how about a drag car ? Fe or 460 powered .Again thanks for your explanation whenever I saw all those lobes ford lobes my imagination took off! Doug

Respond to this message   
Brent Lykins
(Login blykins)
Members

Unfortunately, an EDM lifter won't help in a block that's not drilled....

January 10 2018, 3:00 AM 

An EDM lifter has a hole on the bottom face of it that basically injects pressure fed oil onto the cam lobe. Some of these lobes are so aggressive that they would wear much quicker if not for direct oiling like that.

The MHF lobes as well as some of the others (FL, etc.) are mainly for race engines that are designed for that kind of operation. I use them, but they are in coordination with tool steel EDM lifters, nitrided lobes, much higher spring pressure, etc.

I totally agree with your point: there are TONS of more options out there past the 282S and 294S. Unfortunately most guys are used to looking at a cam catalog and thinking that those are the only options. Those lobes work fairly well for what they are, but everyone needs to keep in mind that they are universal lobes. You will find that same 282S lobe in a 351W, 351C, SBC, BBC, etc, etc., and they all have the same specs. If anyone gets anything at all from my rambling, let it be that each engine family is different, with different requirements, and a "universal" camshaft is not optimal. What works in a SBC doesn't work in an FE. Even something as simple as a ported head change can demand different cam specs.

This message has been edited by blykins on Jan 10, 2018 3:00 AM

Respond to this message   

Perry
(Login 1968Gal)
Members

Re: Unfortunately, an EDM lifter won't help in a block that's not drilled....

January 10 2018, 7:47 AM 

Brent is correct.
The generic 282S and 294S lobes are "universal lobes" designed around the Chevy 0.842" lifter diameter.
One can certainly step up to a faster lobe with the 0.875" lifters in the FE.
A custom cam picked or designed by someone with vast experience on a specific engine type is best.
I think Brent showed this on a 351C build awhile back.

Cheers

Respond to this message   
Manofcyclones
(Login manofcyclones)
Members

lifter options

January 11 2018, 1:51 AM 

If edm lifters are not an option I have seen where a flat is milled the length of the lifter .Just guessing .005 deep .That would allow quiet a bit of drain back and allow FEs without pressure fed lifters more oiling Yes there are lots more options in the cam catalog than the generic offerings in the front .And after this discussion I am aware this series of lobes aren't for my street car .And whenever I decide to possibly swap cams I will give Brent a call .Thanks for your time Brent and Perry also .Doug

Respond to this message   

Ross
(Login Bad427stang)
Members

Using a set of the Camsaver lifters on a Pontiac this weekend

January 11 2018, 6:25 AM 

FWIW, you got good advice here, but my input would be that the lifters with the flat ground in them, Crower Camsavers, are no benefit if you don't have pressure to the lifters, and potentially little benefit other than a touch of added insurance.

In theory, hot oil could drain a bit through there from the valley, it likely will do little for cam break in when oil is thick, and will likely provide so little oil even when hot when compared to what the crank throws. My hunch is drainback it wouldn't make any significant difference.

When you put that slot under pressure, different story (maybe) because although as I said, I am going to use them to give us every bit of insurance we can with this little mellow street Pontiac (280H-ish hyd cam, 10:1, 4 speed, stocker), that slot will be on the trailing edge of the lobe far more than the leading edge as the lifter spins, unlike an EDM hole that is located where the load is.

Brent will steer you right, but if you want to go aggressive on a race car, I'd go solid roller. I am a solid flat tappet guy too, but if you want to go quick and steep in an undrilled 427 block, if you can't drill, I'd go solid roller

[linked image]
---------------------------------
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 445 cid FE, headers, RPM intake, 1000 HP series Holley, 4 speed

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index