Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

O/T 770HP Mel Terror !

January 10 2018 at 3:55 AM
Damon Henderson  (Login hendawg57)
Members

Just picked up the latest Hot Rod, don't know if I missed someone else mentioning this, but it is in there. John Kaase and Royce Brechler both are mentioned right away. The pictures are nice and big for those of us with some sight impairment. Right behind it is a very nice article on a Y-Block as well. Very well done, it goes to the knowledge that we get to share here on this forum. Not just in our love for FE's, but all things Ford.
Congratulations.
1957 Fairlane 500
1965 Custom Sedan
1965 Galaxie Convertable

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

StARLINERRON
(Login StarlinerRon)
Members

Re: O/T 770HP Mel Terror !

January 10 2018, 11:06 PM 

But they fumbled the y-bloc, 300 hp with Mummert heads. intake and cam. Sad , most y-blockers get 400 with
those parts!. AND SOME GET 700!

Ron.

This message has been edited by StarlinerRon on Jan 10, 2018 11:12 PM

Respond to this message   

Royce B
(Login 58SuperMarauder)
Members

I concur

January 11 2018, 9:25 AM 

Ron they would have to TRY not to make 350 horse with that parts combo.. a 292 with ported iron heads makes 300 hp

I have a very similar combination except for a single 750 4 bbl. Mummert manifold and 333 inches. It makes 500 hp.. I put a cam with 15 degrees less duration in it and it still makes 465 horse and idles at 700 rpm

One issue is the Offenhauser 3x2 That may be the crappiest manifold available for a y block.. That killed 50 hp right off the bat.

My partnership with Kaase on the MEL was a real education.. I knew he was smart, but when I saw the dyno numbers on the MEL my jaw hit the floor..After the contest We threw a bigger cam in it and made 884 horse from 473 inches. I was stunned..Put a 4.5 inch crank in this thing and it might make 1000.. Unbelievable

Respond to this message   

StarlinerRon
(Login StarlinerRon)
Members

Y's and MEL's

January 11 2018, 6:15 PM 

Royce, It's great reading about all your old iron in Y-Block mag and Hot Rod.
Built a Y back in the 60's and had a 410Edsel/51 Vic project myself.
Just don't care for those walmart sbc's.

Ron.

Respond to this message   
Damon Henderson
(Login hendawg57)
Members

Yes, the Mel is what I was referring too.

January 12 2018, 3:57 AM 

I was impressed with the build. Looks like you ended up with 1.86hp to cubic inch after the contest. I was very impressed with all the things that were done within the letter of the rules.
I had the opportunity to meet the Mummert's at Bakersfield a few years back. They were running a 292 y-block in a '64 Falcon sedan, making 10.40 second passes. Using their heads, a spider type four barrel intake and I guess their own headers. So I do believe you are right on them just not doing the Y-Block build in the magazine right.
1957 Fairlane 500
1965 Custom Sedan
1965 Galaxie Convertable

Respond to this message   
Bill Ballinger
(Login 65billgal)
Members

Did you guys have to flattten the piston and bore and make a chamber for it?

January 12 2018, 11:07 AM 

I was just wondering, that is a heck of an outcome. Maybe we arwe wasting our time on these lightweights. LOL. That is major hoss power!

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index