Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Carb woes are solved.

January 10 2018 at 5:01 AM

SW  (Login Staceyanddee)
Members

I've been fighting this 64 Galaxie for over a week. I cleaned the carb that wasn't that dirty in an ultrasonic cleaner and put a kit in. It wouldn't idle and the boosters were dumping fuel. Double checked float height. Fuel pressure, vacuum leaks and tune triple checked. I had the SOB off multiple times. Tanked the venturi 2 more times. Same old shit. Finally I drilled and pulled the plugs in the top of the venturi and I couldn't even see the 2 holes for fuel to run down to the idle circuit. Booom baby! I found the small holes with a dental pick and I didn't think I would ever get the crud to break through. I finally got it. She's purring now. I'll get Grundy to bind insurance and get her tagged for the Cruise-in Friday. If only I knew a happy dance.

Stacey

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Drew Pojedinec
(Login DeepRoots78)
Members

Re: Carb woes are solved.

January 10 2018, 7:26 AM 

If you aren't opening the idle and main wells on an old carburetor you aren't cleaning it.

With the old originals it's hard when there is an emulsion tube in the main well, but the idle well typically has a idle feed restriction in the idle well. This is very hard to clean under so I often drill them out and relocate them to the low position where the main well feeds the idle.

Respond to this message   
Randy Millard
(Login Henrysnephew)
Members

Stacey, here's a happy dance for you - enjoy...

January 10 2018, 7:33 AM 

Respond to this message   

SW
(Login Staceyanddee)
Members

Thanks Randy.

January 10 2018, 9:39 AM 

And how did you know the interior was that color of red?

I just got back from cruising. Wow, she is smooth and doesn't have body roll on the county roads like I thought she would. I opened the crotch cooler going down the road and the build sheet blew out from under the dash. A little yellowed but all there and readable. For some reason the speedo doesn't work but the odometer does. I can't say I've ever had that problem in any old classic.

Does anyone have a method of reviving the old horns? I took them off and sprayed electrical contact cleaner inside then rotated until I thought it made it to the element but still, nothing on the low horn and maybe 1 out of 10 on the high horn will toot.

Stacey

Respond to this message   
Oldmics
(Login Oldmics)
Members

I Keep a Bunch of Oddball Sized Guitar Strings

January 10 2018, 8:06 AM 

around to clean out those tiny orifices.

Oldmics

Respond to this message   

SW
(Login Staceyanddee)
Members

I filmed the Gal today.

January 10 2018, 3:48 PM 

Respond to this message   

Steve M
(Login 66sevets)
Members

Wow what a creampuff! n/m

January 11 2018, 6:50 AM 

Respond to this message   
Travis
(Login country63sedan)
Members

VERY nice

January 12 2018, 2:49 PM 

It's like a step back in time. I think I'd drive it alot, those original miles would be racking up pretty quick if it were here. Later, Travis

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index