Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Moving a Car with NO EXHAUST MANIFOLDS

January 10 2018 at 2:19 PM
Oldmics  (Login Oldmics)
Members

Got my stock F.E. exhaust manifolds out for a Jet Hot coating.

Now find I have to move the car.

Can I fire the engine with no manifolds at all to move the car 60 feet or so. Worried about the cold air getting to the valves too quick and possible warping something.

I"ll push it if necessay BUT I"m lazy !

Whats the general concisus?

Oldmics

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Brent Lykins
(Login blykins)
Members

Push it...n/m

January 10 2018, 2:56 PM 

Respond to this message   
Don Woodruff
(Login DonWoodruff)
Members

Re: Moving a Car with NO EXHAUST MANIFOLDS

January 10 2018, 4:03 PM 

I believe damaging the exhaust valves is an old myth, Look at the exhaust stacks on a P 51 for example.
That exhaust might as well exit directly from the block. Towing with a rider is feasible if you are still concerned.

Respond to this message   
Tom P
(Login tomposthuma)
Members

run it

January 10 2018, 4:11 PM 

I don't think 60 feet will harm anything. In high school a friend bought a four door hardtop 66 LTD with a 390. He liked the sound of open headers like the older fast guys had but of course had no money. He pulled the exhaust manifolds off anyway in anticipation of getting headers and of course broke off most of the upper bolts, Even if he had headers there would be no way to attach them.... so he drove it, for months, with no exhaust manifolds whatsoever. Sure it did wreck the engine eventually or perhaps it was the frequent 6500+ rpm blasts in first gear at highway speed that wrecked it.

The cool part (besides the many police stops) was it made flames out the ports! Woohooo, just like Don Garlits.

Respond to this message   
Jeff
(Login Jeff60)
Members

Re: Moving a Car with NO EXHAUST MANIFOLDS

January 10 2018, 4:17 PM 

Heck I drove my 66 XL for about 5 miles, with one side missing, no problem what so ever, of course it was in Vegas, and it was probably 90 that day

Respond to this message   
Ray Bischoff
(Login Mercougar67)
Members

What, maybe 20 second?

January 10 2018, 4:33 PM 

The block won't even heat up in the time it takes to travel 60 feet!

Respond to this message   
Rory McNeil
(Login RMCJ428)
Members

Re: What, maybe 20 second?

January 10 2018, 6:28 PM 

Frankly I would be more concerned about the exhaust flames/heat setting wiring or something else on fire.

Respond to this message   
Brent Lykins
(Login blykins)
Members

And that was the motivation behind my reply....

January 11 2018, 2:57 AM 

All kinds of wiring, hoses, lines, etc., right in the way of those exhaust ports and you will get flames out of them.

Will it burn a valve? I've always heard that it may. I personally wouldn't take the chance over 60 feet.

Respond to this message   

Button
(Login cliffrod)
Members

That's my concern as well

January 11 2018, 5:05 AM 

Any backfire or open flame can quickly ignite any fuel- like a minor leak, flooded carb or dirty oily insulation- and its downhill from there. It doesn't always happen and I've seen a number of vehicles started like this or moved with no problems. I've also seen one go up in flames in a instant. Not cool.

Have a fire extinguisher (btw- it took me four to put out that bike and my friend holding it....) ready if you're going to try it. My vote is for pushing or towing it.
1967 Galaxie 500 Red original Q code 428
1967 Galaxie 500 White with Black stripes 428PI clone- car is dead & long gone, sold near Oak Ridge TN 2000, would love to find it.....
Please visit http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/ for pictures, information and video links to my work.

Respond to this message   

Bob Sprowl
(Login bsprowl)
Admin

I agree completely. Drove many times like that and never a problem.

January 11 2018, 9:04 AM 

This should have been under Ray's post ...
1966 7 Litre Convertible
1959 F-100 (under construction)
2005 GT40 (in my Dreams)

This message has been edited by bsprowl on Jan 11, 2018 9:08 AM

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index