Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Detroit Truetrac review

January 11 2018 at 3:39 PM
Gary  (Login garywittman)
Members

For anyone interested, I thought I would give my opinion of the Detroit Truetrac so far in my 428CJ powered 69 Fairlane Cobra. I was getting tired of spinning one tire every time I stepped on the accelerator pedal a little too much with an open axle. I went to 28" tall 275 tires thinking I could get better traction but it was still not enough. I found a good deal on a Detroit Truetrac and decide it was time to get some traction.

So far, I am very pleased with only some minor negatives. I have not floored it from stop yet because I am sure the tires will break lose even with the C6 transmission. I have floored it at around 5 mph and get some chirping like it is on the edge of traction but does not break loose. This chirping continues for a while and when it hits second gear the tires do break loose but there is no shifting sideways like before and it smoothly gains traction after about 20 ft. I can still feel it accelerating nicely after shifting into second gear even though the tires are slipping a little. Before with one tire spinning in second I could feel the drop off in acceleration until it finally grabbed. I plan to experiment with accelerating from a stop as I get more use to this new found traction.

Now for the minor negatives. When I am turning sharply to the right or left, I have to be very light on the accelerator pedal or the inside tire starts screeching like the axles are locked. Less sharp turns can take more accelerator pedal but a little too much causes the inside tire to chirp, chirp, chirp........... until I straighten out or let up on the accelerator pedal a little. This is not big problem, just something that requires adjusting my driving style.

Instructions indicated to not you synthetic gear lube because it could reduce the performance of the Truetrac, meaning it could have less limited slip capability. I am thinking that may be better for a street car by reducing some of the negative effects I describe above. After I have fully adapted to the Truetrac, I may try synthetic gear lube to see what effect if any becomes apparent.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Lars
(Login htrdharley)
Members

Re: Detroit Truetrac review

January 12 2018, 5:19 AM 

I run a Detroit Tru Trac also, love it. I switched from a Detroit Locker to the Tru Trac.

I do not have any of the issues you mentioned, it is as smooth as can be in the corners, just like an open rear until I mat it.

Respond to this message   
Rory McNeil
(Login RMCJ428)
Members

January 12 2018, 8:41 AM 

My concern in how would a Tru Trac hold up to dragstrip duty with slicks and a 4 speed. I have always prefered spools for dragstrip only use, and have had excellent service with Detroit Lockers on street/strip cars, although they can be rather noisy and jerky in "normal" street car driving.A Ford Traction Lok is much easier to live with on the street, but are rather fragile and prone to unreliable operation when used hard, like at the dragstrip. I would like something strong, smooth, and reliable in operation at the track. But until I can find somebody who has had very good results with a Tru Trac launching on slicks with a stickshift trans, I think I will stick with a Detroit Locker.

Respond to this message   
Lars
(Login htrdharley)
Members

January 12 2018, 1:32 PM 

I have beat on mine with a sticky street tire and auto crossed it running many laps last year. The launch is definitely not like a drag strip and slicks, but it has not given me any trouble with a stick and 4K RPM clutch dumps. Almost 8K miles worth in 2017.

The Tru Trac is much more drivable in an auto cross environment than a locker.

I am not sure I would use one in my drag car, probably stick with the spool or locker.

Respond to this message   

Mike U.
(Login mtrain)
Members

I've got TT on four vehicles, and love it.

January 12 2018, 3:01 PM 

AC Cobra kit car, 428FE/TKO600, Trutrac

67 Mustang fastback, 540FE/TKO600, Trutrac

90 Mazda truck, 363w/TKO600, Trutrac

65 Mustang fastback 347/C4, Trutrac

Respond to this message   
Rory McNeil
(Login RMCJ428)
Members

Re: I've got TT on four vehicles, and love it.

January 12 2018, 4:10 PM 

...And have any of these stick cars been launched numerous times on slicks at the dragstrip, & if so, how quick did these cars run? What do they weigh?

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index