Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Going to mount battery in trunk, what about solenoid?

January 11 2018 at 5:51 PM

6667fan  (Login 6667fan)
Members

Street car, (67 Fairlane), that will see track time. Is leaving solenoid in engine compartment going to be a tech problem? Thanks, JB
Every second counts

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Stangman
(Login 4828Stangman)
Members

soloniod

January 11 2018, 6:17 PM 

Pass side behind shock tower so its sorta hidden, makes for a cleaner look.
Mines been there for years no tech guy has ever said anything about it.

Respond to this message   

BattlestarGalactic
(Login BattlestarGalactic)
Members

Just need a shut off at rear of car.

January 11 2018, 6:44 PM 

They don't care where solenoid is mounted.

LarryK
2006/2009 UMTR Points Champion

Respond to this message   

6667fan
(Login 6667fan)
Members

Street car Larry, so not going in a taillight

January 11 2018, 7:18 PM 

Am I supposed to have it available to access externally? In the trunk good enough?
I would prefer to keep solenoid under the hood. Thanks.
Every second counts

Respond to this message   
Bones
(Login boneyard51)
Members

Solenoids

January 11 2018, 7:34 PM 

When you use a solenoid make or break the circuit for the load of the car, don’t use a “starter”solenoid, use a “continuous duty”solenoid readily available at any parts store. The starter solenoid will fail in this application.Not sure if you are going to do that, but just thought I’d put my 2 cents worth in. Bones

Respond to this message   

BattlestarGalactic
(Login BattlestarGalactic)
Members

You don't have to break through a tail light...

January 12 2018, 4:41 PM 

If you get the remote mounted switch you can actuate it with a handle hanging under the bumper. It has to be marked "Push off".

Now, if your local tech is nothing to worry about then maybe they won't care that you have the battery in the truck and no shut off. We have one track even makes you prove it will shut the car off(it has to). More technicalities that come with mounting the battery in the trunk.

LarryK
2006/2009 UMTR Points Champion

Respond to this message   

DaleP
(Login Posi-67)
Members

If you plan on racing at any NHRA track then...

January 11 2018, 7:54 PM 

you will need a battery/alternator kill switch at the back and outside the trunk. Solenoid can be anywhere.

Respond to this message   
a70
(Login a70elliminator)
Members

solenoid

January 12 2018, 2:51 AM 

I ran a posivive cable to the trunk through the firewall from the extreme right corner run behind the kick panel down the door sill trough and up over the rear fender rear quarter.
Battery ground to rear frame rail, engine ground to front frame rail, solenoid in factory location nothing special. I have a 100amp disconnect/circuit breaker under the hood off the alternator.
I'm not for racing just like the clean looking engine bay and battery away from the heat.

Respond to this message   

Falcon67
(Login Falcon67)
Members

Not a tech issue - more of a safety issue

January 12 2018, 7:06 AM 

Got a fuse on the long battery cable? If your required shutoff is in that cable, better get to it quick if the cable shorts to the frame. Also keep it away - well away - from any fuel lines. Also, if you have nice equipment in the car like a stereo or high buck ignition and such note that cutting the positive cable with the engine/alternator running may/will cause a power surge in the car that could damage equipment. Also, an alternator car likely won't shut off and you will fail tech. Also - in my experience - the long run from the battery to the solenoid can cause slow crank due to voltage drop, unless you use pretty good sized cable and really watch your frame grounds.

I use a 4 way shutoff and break the power and negative at the same time. I also put the solenoid in the trunk so that the start power is dead unless cranking. Alternator feeds the battery directly and when the power is cut any excess energy hits the battery only.

My basic layout
[linked image]

This message has been edited by Falcon67 on Jan 12, 2018 7:09 AM

Respond to this message   

Bobby Spears
(Login x4rdtech)
Members

I had to do that on my Galaxie when I got it back on the track.

January 12 2018, 10:47 AM 

I had no idea about the rule.I explained to the tech guy it came that way from Ford and I also do not have a electric fuel pum so what the hell will it help as the alternator will still supply power the thew whole system. I said the rule stats then of course was for batteries relocated in the trunk. He let me run that day but said it has to be there the next time I show up to race.I just shook my head in disbelief. I explained to him I raced it that way while running Div 7 points meets and national races.
Still pissed me off about that.

Respond to this message   
a70
(Login a70elliminator)
Members

circuit breaker

January 12 2018, 10:49 AM 

Definitely need a circuit breaker at the battery!

Respond to this message   

6667fan
(Login 6667fan)
Members

So what do guys with street cars do?

January 12 2018, 2:30 PM 

I don’t know how much track time this car will see. Closest track is governed by NHRA rules. I ordered a rule book today but perhaps someone can tell me about where a cut off switch can be mounted that will satisfy tech and not require butchering car. Can it be under the body? Thanks, JB
Every second counts

Respond to this message   
Tom P
(Login tomposthuma)
Members

mounting switch

January 12 2018, 3:55 PM 

You do not have to hack up the car. I mounted my switch to bracket off the side of battery tray and run a two foot long rod (piece of broken antenna) down through the factory drain hole in the bottom of the quarter panel and welded a T handle (3" of old brake line) to the end and used red Plasti-dip then lettered "push-off" in white model car paint. I have seen a morse cable with a red knob mounted to the license plate bracket and another that was behind the fold down plate that was left off for the track.

Respond to this message   

DaleP
(Login Posi-67)
Members

My switch is in the trunk and I bought the..

January 12 2018, 4:11 PM 

T-handle lever kit so I could run the rod through the rear valence. Minimal damage to the car and not quite as crude as Toms idea.

P1000889

P1000822

Respond to this message   

6667fan
(Login 6667fan)
Members

Cool, that is what I was looking for. Thanks guys! JB. N/M

January 12 2018, 6:57 PM 

Every second counts

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index