Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

OT, new Ford engine 2 stroke 270hp, 480tq, and 37 mpg.....

February 8 2018 at 9:01 AM

Mike U  (Login mtrain)
Members

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2018-detroit-tech-roundup-8-tech-treats/?sm_id=organic_fb_MT_trueanthem&utm_campaign&utm_content=5a72588404d30172a9ed7c20&utm_medium&utm_source

"We’ve been covering Achates Power’s highly unusual inline-three-cylinder two-stroke engine with six pistons and two crankshafts for some time now, and it’s finally installed in a Ford F-150 truck for demonstration and fine tuning. The stats are pretty impressive if they prove reliable in production trim: 270 hp, 480 lb-ft, and 37 mpg combined fuel economy. The test engine is running 18.5:1 compression with direct gasoline injection. The long stroke of this 2.7-liter engine allows the pistons to extract maximum work, and because there are no cylinder heads (intake and exhaust flows through ports in the cylinder walls that get exposed at the extremes of the piston travel), there’s far less heat rejection to the cooling system. Achates says this helps deliver thermal efficiency of near 50 percent—and that’s before any in-vehicle thermal-management optimization work."

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Tom P
(Login tomposthuma)
Members

interesting design

February 8 2018, 10:09 AM 

I imagine it is controlled detonation that makes that huge torque. If the two pistons move towards each other that makes the effective RPM double a normal engine.

And if this is giving you ideas to apply to an FE i've got four 3 1/2" stroke cranks to sell cheap... happy.gif

Respond to this message   

SW
(Login Staceyanddee)
Members

I'd just like to hear it. n/m

February 8 2018, 10:51 AM 

Respond to this message   
Jason
(Login 60sIron)
Members

Yes

February 9 2018, 11:32 AM 

High cylinder pressures from long intake duration or high CR or both lead to more torque per cubic inch. In a diesel, this isn't a problem, but at some point gasoline detonates. I agree this looks like a Fairbanks motor

Respond to this message   
Mikee
(Login mikeelikee)
Members

Just like a Fairbanks Morse submarine engine

February 8 2018, 12:46 PM 

and these babies are damn loud

Respond to this message   
kleandan
(Login kleandan)

The sub diesel generator was loud.

February 10 2018, 5:32 PM 

I really liked the Fairbanks Morse diesel generator used on the Sub I served on.
10 cylinder, 20 piston, vertically opposed diesel giant.

That engine was really loud but it made some very great noises when running.
By simply listening to it run you would swear it was turning 4500 rpm, but the tach read something like 1250.
I especially liked the startup sounds.
Air operated starter, compression only ignition, VERY high PSI injectors.
That engine would huff and puff for a while and then BAM! it was running...if things were all good.

If not all good it would huff and puff on the air starter and chug...chug...chug...chug, no start.
More air and chug...chug...chug...chug...chug, brump, brump, brump, brump, BRUMP, BRUMP, BRUMP, BRRRAAAAAAAAAA! Running.

You did NOT want to be topside behind the exhaust ports in the sail when they fire that thing off.
After it was running for a couple minutes it was okay but on first start up it would belch diesel goo that does NOT wash out of your uniform easily...and will NOT wash out of your dress whites if you were unlucky enough to be standing watch.

Respond to this message   
Royce
(Login RoyceP)
Members

That's pretty cool

February 8 2018, 12:47 PM 

I wonder if it has oil in the gas like most two strokes? Seems like it might have pollution problems.
[linked image]
1910 Model T Ford touring Red / Black
1914 Model T Ford touring Maroon / Black
1917 Model T Ford Torpedo runabout green
1915 Model T Ford touring Black of course!
1968 Mercury Cougar 428CJ Ram Air Red / Black/ Black
1968 Cougar XR7-G 390-2V X code Red / Black
1968 Cougar GTE 427 Augusta Green / Saddle
http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/15029/50071-2

Respond to this message   
Bones
(Login boneyard51)
Members

Re: That's pretty cool

February 8 2018, 1:27 PM 

Problaly has an oiling system similar to the old GMC, or “Jimmy” two stroke diesels of the 40’s, 50 ‘s and 60’s. Bones

Respond to this message   

Mike U
(Login mtrain)
Members

I wonder if it will inject the oil into the gas, as most folks won't take the time to mix

February 8 2018, 8:04 PM 

With most of today's driving population being unable to even change a tire, or their own oil, I would say that Ford would likely have some sort of oil injecting setup that automatically injects oil into the fuel mix at the correct ratio.

I still see a problem as most non car people aren't going to be able to grasp a concept of having to keep an extra oil tank filled as well as a gas tank.

Respond to this message   
e.philpott
(Login pooreric)
Members

no way

February 9 2018, 6:26 AM 

it would ever pass emission I would think , probably has some kind of a sealed lubrication system along with Coated parts and it does mention the fuel does not wash/touch the cylinders with the port design ... sure looks like a interesting engine and would like to hear more about it

Respond to this message   
Troy T
(Login mudrunner)
Members

Re: I wonder if it will inject the oil into the gas, as most folks won't take the time to mix

February 9 2018, 7:56 AM 

If an oil tank is needed it would be no different then almost every diesel truck, semi or tractor produced today with a DEF tank.

I doubt they are using an oil mix, emissions would be out the window immediately.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index