Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

O/T cheapo eBay headers?

February 9 2018 at 11:44 AM
Dan  (Login 32bantam)
Members

Anyone used these recently? What I've seen has been pretty rough but some seem to claim they have gotten better. What I've seen lately at Summit prices doesn't look too great under a grand either.

Specifically I'm looking at the stainless TriY style early Mustang headers sometimes used in Ranger swaps.I don't mind modifing them as needed but I'm at a loss for time to build a scratch set mostly due to waiting on materials.

Thanks. Dan

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Jim
(Login bbfordfan)
Members

Header

February 9 2018, 3:02 PM 

I tried the triY. They didn't fit my ranger. I've got some headman longtubes for an 83-94 ranger if interested.

Respond to this message   
Dan
(Login 32bantam)
Members

Headers

February 10 2018, 12:22 AM 

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the offer but I have a set of Super Comps I could put back on it. My intent was to modify the stainless Tri-ys to make it easier to work on and avoid them rusting. Being I intend to cut them up a bit I was curious how bad the cheap ones are. Still adding up materials even at the $300 Summit gets for them I'd be ahead on cost vs scratch building them. Ebay version is $89 bucks.... The question is are they same thing at a different price or is the Summit part worth the difference.

I was trying to keep it simple, reuse most of what's already there and slam it back together quick. Lol In tearing the driveline out of it I found a few things I want to make nicer such as the engine mounts and transmission crossmember so I'm already into it farther than I hoped to be but that's nothing new... Still this is a low end project and saving a few bucks would be good if the quality is the same.

thanks, Dan

Respond to this message   
Jim
(Login bbfordfan)
Members

No problem

February 10 2018, 6:31 AM 

Just collecting dust in the basement! Lol

Respond to this message   

john vermeersch
(Select Login johnvermeersch501)
Members

Where did I miss the chassis/engine combo

February 10 2018, 3:32 PM 

you are try to fit headers too..

Respond to this message   
Dan
(Login 32bantam)
Members

Combo

February 10 2018, 9:20 PM 

Hey John,

Well I'd like say it's got a 500" SOHC mounted to a Vdrive in the bed and I just can't figure which way I want the flames to shoot out the Zoomies but I'd be lying to ya!

I talked to you the other day about an inverted fuel pump. It's an 83 Ranger that has what appears to be the old Hooker Header swap kit with a 302 and a 68 Torino toploader mounted to an 80's truck bell with a forward facing stock type slave cylinder for the clutch. With that the engine is lower and farther back than most others I've seen making things a touch tighter. On a hotrod I'd keep the full length Super Comps that were on it any day....being I'm toning it down for daily duty with a boring stock 302, being able to remove/replace a starter, steering box, slave cylinder etc. without fighting rusty steel multi piece headers is a plus.

However my question only pretains to the current basic quality of the cheap headers not the fit in any way to mine or the original application. Basically if anyone bought any of the Ebay headers and had a good or bad opinion of them when they opened the box was all I was after. If someone who has used the Doug Thorley or Scott Drake SS tri-Y early Mustang headers Summit sells has compaired them to Ebay knockoffs and had an opinion of one vs the other that would be very very useful. What I have seen is mostly useless but brand name headers are rather crude and seem worse than ever lately. Such as I have a set of B9 headers that were $1400 and had a better shot at fitting a Dodge van than a Mustang. The owner could not return those so I rerouted a few things and made them work out okay. Still I've seen guys luck out buying things I never would of considered such as Streetrod ramshorn headers for $40 shipped that are nicer than anything Sanderson has ever sent me.

Anyway I got it blown apart last night and I'm heading to Summit tomorrow to eyeball a few things and pickup the 50oz flywheel for the newer replacement.

Thanks guys!

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index