Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Head gasket options

February 10 2018 at 7:39 AM
chillymerc  (Login chillymerc)
Members

I tore down my 390 yesterday, had FelPro 1020s in it. I measured the deck clearance at .015", need to get a bit better straight edge and double check today but let's assume that number sticks.

4.080" bore
3.78" stroke
.015" deck
4.40" HG bore
10cc valve reliefs with TRW 2291 pistons
76cc chamber
I come up with 9.14:1 compression

I'm just swapping heads, no machine work or piston swaps in the plan.

I'd like to find a 4.30" HG bore, .030" thickness head gasket, which will give me around 9.4:1

I realize this won't mean much at all for making power, but just figured I have to buy new gasket anyway, may as well help it a little and bring quench in a little tighter.

I can't go Cometic because the deck surface wasn't prepped for them. Edelbrock sells a 4.330 .038" head gasket, anyone know of other options?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Faron
(Login Faron)
Members

If you have Iron Heads this is an option

February 10 2018, 8:05 AM 

Respond to this message   
Rory McNeil
(Login RMCJ428)
Members

Re: If you have Iron Heads this is an option

February 10 2018, 10:32 AM 

Funny, in the reviews for the Mr. Gasket head gasket on that Summit site, some guy considered the head gasket as "unusable for a FE ", because the it blocked the front coolant passage ! I guess he has never looked at any other head gaskets.

Respond to this message   
Larry H
(Login 54skyliner)
Members

Re: Head gaskets unuseable for a FE

February 10 2018, 11:25 AM 

That's probably the same guy that scrapped the "352" blocks that John V. sold him, because they were supposed to be 428's, but they had 352 cast on the front of the block.

Respond to this message   
wayne aldrich
(Login striptripper53)
Members

x2 a little copper coat and good to go

February 10 2018, 1:51 PM 

Respond to this message   

Blair Patrick
(Login CaptCobrajet)
Members

The old Victor gaskets.......

February 10 2018, 8:20 AM 

are .034 thick. I think NAPA stores still sell that same gasket, although it may be in their packaging. If you check one uncompressed, it should show you around .040 in the corner by the dowel if it is still the same. Used to be black or orange in color.
Blair Patrick

Respond to this message   

Ross
(Login Bad427stang)
Members

SCE makes a .039 small bore

February 10 2018, 4:08 PM 

Not quite as thin as you want, but an option. Standard type of material, and made for the 390 bore.

Talk to Marc Hunter on this or Jay's forum
[linked image]
---------------------------------
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 445 cid FE, headers, RPM intake, 1000 HP series Holley, 4 speed

Respond to this message   
Chillymerc
(Login chillymerc)
Members

Thanks

February 10 2018, 5:39 PM 

I’ll check the options named, thanks. I’ll have to check th chamber diameter to see if the SCEs will work

Respond to this message   
Marc H
(Select Login turbohunter)
Members

Hey chilly

February 10 2018, 7:51 PM 

I've been after my brother to build us some gaskets for a while now and he wants to help.
For those that don't know my brother owns SCE gaskets.
We have a working gasket that's been in development/service now for a while. It's meant to be an everyday runner. I've had one running in my 400 hp 500 ft lb truck for about two years now. I'm after him to get us a thinner gasket and also a larger bore size so that he stocks two sizes. One for small bore and one for large bore. The problem is that he's been moving the company to Nashville and out of California. And we are a small part of his sales so we have to wait. The good news is that the company is settling down now and we should be rolling again soon.
As far as your gasket needs. What heads are you running? If you're running iron heads than the small bore gaskets hang out a bit around the sides of the chamber. Having said that I've been running a set in D2 heads for a couple years now with no problem. The fire ring is extra thick and sturdy.
If you're running modern chambers in aluminum heads you'll have no problems.
[linked image][linked image]

Respond to this message   
chillymerc
(Login chillymerc)
Members

I’ll be running BBMs

February 11 2018, 6:16 AM 

I was looking at a couple SCEs, I hadn’t thought to use them because I only thought of the copper gaskets which seem to be race only. Hell if he’s family I’d definitely run a composite set if they’re available, looking at #534174

Respond to this message   

Ross
(Login Bad427stang)
Members

I have a set here, let me get some measurements for you

February 11 2018, 7:12 AM 

I couldn't use them on my D2s because the chamber juts out, but depending on the BBM chamber design, it may not be an issue

I will look today and see if I can post some useful measurements
[linked image]
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 445 cid FE, headers, RPM intake, 1000 HP series Holley, 4 speed

Respond to this message   
Marc H
Members

Re: I’ll be running BBMs

February 11 2018, 8:08 AM 

That's not the right number.
I think you should be looking at a 534254.
In their pn system 34 is FE, the next two numbers 25 are the first digits of x.250 bore size and the 4 is for .040 compressed.
I just talked to Ryan. He said he'll check to make sure they're on the shelf tomorrow morning. He thinks they are. If not I have a set I could get to you.
Edit
And I see Ross just responded too.

This message has been edited by turbohunter on Feb 11, 2018 8:09 AM

Respond to this message   

Ross
(Login Bad427stang)
Members

Some pics

February 11 2018, 10:18 AM 

Bore size is perfect circle, just under 4.250

[linked image]

Uncompressed thickness is about .051, not squeezing too hard.

[linked image]

The key is to see whether or not the fire ring is fully supported around the chamber. On my D2s, the fire ring fell just barely unsupported and may or may not have lived, but the D2s have some mismatch compared to a 4.05 bore

My guess is they won't work though, with my calibrated eyeball, comparing the sealing surface between the cylinders and a picture below of the BBMs, it looks like the fire ring will hang into the chamber

[linked image]
[linked image]

This message has been edited by Bad427stang on Feb 11, 2018 10:25 AM

Respond to this message   
Marc H
Members

Re: Some pics

February 11 2018, 1:06 PM 

I'll run over to BBM this week and check it out.
They are right down the street. I'll try to get there tomorrow before work if Doug is available.
On the thickness, Ryan tells me it will compress 15 %.
I talked with him as I said this morning and he assures me that thinner ones are coming.

Respond to this message   
chillymerc
(Login chillymerc)
Members

BBM bore size

February 12 2018, 10:07 AM 

I checked my BBMs at lunch, right at 4.200" nominal, some a smidge smaller but that's a safe measure. The FelPro 1020s I had on hand had a minimum .060" clearance to the chamber. So, looks like a 4.250 at .075 smaller could be very tight.

I'm not completely sure what the ring hanging in the chamber hurts as far as flow and turbulence, or more as far as reliability? Not sure it's worth too much hassle, it's just a street combo with an ancient tech shortblock.

Respond to this message   
Marc H
Members

Tight

February 12 2018, 10:20 AM 

Checked them over at BBM before work.
It's tighter 'n a tick.
I'll post above. It would be interesting to hear what the builders have to say.

Respond to this message   
chillymerc
(Login chillymerc)
Members

OK, thanks N/M

February 12 2018, 10:32 AM 

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index