Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Need some dimensions, 67 Galaxie FE

February 10 2018 at 10:15 AM

Button  (Login cliffrod)
Members

The 428 is stil on the stand next to my car. If someone here with a later fullsize with FE- probably 66-68 are very similar if not identical to a 67 Galaxie- that is together can provide me with two or three dimensions so I can work on some parts, I would be very appreciative.

I was going to pull a string from top center of back of radiator support near radiator cap, straight across the center of the engine to the center of the body seam/firewall to determine

1- the horizontal front/back location of the stud in the center of the carb
2- if needed, the approx left-right placement of same if the engine is not centered in the bay.
3- the vertical distance from this string to the air filter flange on carb
4- perfect world- I plan to run my 67 PI intake with a 3310-1 Holley, so realize that intake will be
slightly taller than the stock cast iron S intake that's still on my assembled engine. I can
figure that out with parts here, but having the above dimensions from such a car & engine
configuration would help a lot.

I have some time planned with a friend to work on this one in a few weeks and not really ready to stick the engine in just to get these dimensions. Call or email if you don't post them here. click on my website link or carolinasculpture @bellsouth.net.

Thanks in advance.
1967 Galaxie 500 Red original Q code 428
1967 Galaxie 500 White with Black stripes 428PI clone- car is dead & long gone, sold near Oak Ridge TN 2000, would love to find it.....
Please visit http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/ for pictures, information and video links to my work.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Leland
(Login lhstanford)
Members

email sent. May be helpful? n/m

February 10 2018, 2:52 PM 

Respond to this message   

Button
(Login cliffrod)
Members

Thanks, man but still looking for the above info n/m

February 10 2018, 5:26 PM 

1967 Galaxie 500 White with Black stripes 428PI clone- car is dead & long gone, sold near Oak Ridge TN 2000, would love to find it.....
Please visit http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/ for pictures, information and video links to my work.

Respond to this message   
kleandan
(Login kleandan)
Members

My 66 7-LITRE

February 10 2018, 5:42 PM 

Button, what is it you are trying to figure out with the dimensions?

My 1966 7-LITRE is running the stock block, iron heads, CJ iron intake, carb spacer and 735cfm CJ Holley.

I use a drop base lower air filter housing with the correct chrome dress up open air filter housing top and a taller filter element. All of this is under a stock hood.

If you use the standard open element housing base the filter gets set quite high on the carb.

Anyway, I can get these measurements later but I am curious what you are up to...just for fun you know.

Respond to this message   

Button
(Login cliffrod)
Members

Gonna make an authentic HM cowl plenum or batwing breather assembly...

February 10 2018, 7:25 PM 

I had an unused/NOS one on the wall 30 yrs ago, next to a complete NOS 66-67 Chevelle Cowl plenum breather assembly for a few years. Very, very cool stuff, but almost no one "got it" back then. I saw lots of old race pics of them on Galaxies. After seeing John V's Starliner with one in the magazine back then, I wanted one on my street Galaxie, too.

But- the one I had was the widely flared version, which would have required me to trim if not remove the firewall VIN tag, rework the heater box (no a/c) and relocate the wiper motor. Between those details and no welding capacity, I sold it without using it on my old 67.

Fast forward to now, I will have one on my new 67. So am trying to get close with dimensions of the engine & position as installed without sticking my assembled engine back in just to measure it. Still need to do some work on the engine first and planning to clear the firewall of non-working factory a/c stuff.

Doing metal is still fun for me, around paying stone sculpture work and endless eldercare. A more fluent metal friend will be in the area in a few weeks and is planning on getting me moving on the project.....

I've got good measurements of the overall breather assembly and am starting tthe profile patterns. From what I've seen, there seems to be some variation in the length -carb center to firewall- of the actual assembly. Some longer ones had the rear portion of the floor curve up to narrow the opening. Others were straight with a larger opening, but not sure whether or not those were just cut off. Probably cut to fit, whether by the original race teams or subsequent owners.

I still have the screen used to cover the rear opening of the breather I had. There are used cf versions on eBay that I could get and use as a model or pattern, but there's enough differences that I don't think they're worth it. Need to get a couple of the filters to make sure what I make actually fits the filter it uses. There's been an original Fram filter on eBay for one forever, but can get the same thing from Wix for a 59 Cadillac for much less $$. Someone here told me about that cross reference in a related thread here- thanks very much. I also have the PI intake with carbs here to make sure everything clears linkage, carb bowls, etc. as the project proceeds.

No interest in doing a half-baked "see, I did it myself" effort. It'll be right, just like my stone work. I've got long manifolds, marine pentroofs to paint, big fuel filter and this PI intake to go with this breather. Should look pretty great when it finally comes together, no chrome glitz, just great parts.

So I need good info and figured I would ask here before heading to the junkyard. Lots of earlier FE galaxies around in various garages around here, just not many later ones.

Respond to this message   

DaleP
(Login Posi-67)
Members

Wasn't there someone who did a repro before?

February 10 2018, 9:18 PM 

Seems C5HM could be of help here as he had or had one done as I recall. Maybe do a search or hopefully he'll check in and tell me how wrong I am.

Respond to this message   

Mac
(Login 67428galaxie)
Members

Dimensions/measurements

February 11 2018, 5:03 AM 

Button, my car is equipped with the medium riser blue thunder
intake with dual quads, not exactly what your looking for but let me
know what measurements I can help with.

Mac

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/1200

Respond to this message   

Button
(Login cliffrod)
Members

Mac and Dale

February 11 2018, 8:55 AM 

Mac- thank you for the offer. ff KleanDan doesn't send or post something with his single 4v setup, I can work from measurements of the block plate/rear of intake placement in regards to the firewall both horizontal and vertical. These are pretty flat, use an element around 3" tall.

Dale- The guy that did make at least one, which Dr Craft purchased & posted about, has moved on- no replies to any contacts.

Still, I'm not interested in buying someone else's repro. My car, my sculpture. Very confident that I can make them at least as good as that other man can. That's why I do what I do.

I might buy an old original if I had cubic spare bucks and could find one. Neither is the current situation. An original would be a waste on a plain car like mine, anyways. They oughta be on significant original race cars.

So if I make them, I can have a few hanging on the wall just because I like them. Very cool....

Respond to this message   
kleandan
(Login kleandan)
Members

I took some measurements of the 7-LITRE for you.

February 11 2018, 10:04 AM 

Button here are the measurements I got off my car. I hope they help.
I am using standard engine mounts, the factory 1966 428 block, iron heads, iron CJ intake, 735cfm CJ carb and a 1" carb spacer.

I used a string from front to rear of engine compartment. The string was attached at the cowl to firewall flange by taping it in the depression that lies under the closed hood. The string was tightly attached to the radiator hold down and run directly over both carb float bowl vents and the center air cleaner mount stud staying in line with the carb float vents and center stud.
I did not want to take my car apart or remove the radiator so I could get to the radiator core support for direct measurements ...so the radiator stayed in the way during measurements.
The measurements were from the string down to the air cleaner mounting flange on the carb with the gasket removed so I would get carb contact.
String down to front carb flange = 2-1/8".
To carb rear flange = 2-3/8".
This was measured at the 90* area where the float vent and air filter flange meet.

I measured from the firewall to carb center stud as well as the radiator core support to carb center stud. I took measurements along both sides of the carb across the air filter mounting flange. Basically where the choke housing and filter flange meet.

Firewall to carb center passenger side = 16-13/16". Drive side = 16-3/4"
Radiator core support to carb center passenger side = 26-1/2". Drive side = 26-9/16"

Last I measured side to side using the carb center stud to inner fender lip keeping parallel with the choke housing.
Passenger side = 26-7/16". Drive side = 27-3/16".

If you have any questions let me know.
I have pondered making this same cowl intake piece but have yet to do so because my Galaxie is not really built to that style. It will look pretty coll when installed though.
Good luck.

Respond to this message   

Button
(Login cliffrod)
Members

Thanks very much, Dan

February 11 2018, 10:41 AM 

That's a big help and exactly what I need. Radiator left installed is not an issue, probably better. Fitting it under a stock hood shouldn't be as much of an issue, but making sure it fits ok with throttle linkage, pcv stuff on rear of intake is a concern.

Some if not all original ones came uncut with no carb hole, then they were cut to fit whatever was used. The one I had had been cut partway down the cone for the carb, past the bowl reliefs. Nothing had been attached to use it on a carb. Some attach the center of a base from a regular air cleaner with welding, pop rivets or similar. Makes it simple to have good clearance of linkage, adjust height, etc.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index