Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Oil restrictors for BBM heads

February 11 2018 at 1:20 PM

James H  (Login wookie1)
Members

I’m getting way too much oil to my old Erson roller rockers, resulting in too much oil up top and finding ways to leak out of the valve covers. Before I take it apart, does anyone know what size rod I’d need to fit the hole under the rocker stand? I guess I’ll have to get something and drill a hole in it. What size hole? 0.060” or something like that?

Also, I’d like to find low profile cast valve covers that fit over my rockers but clear my brake booster on the ‘69 Cobra (same as Fairlane or Torino). I saw a set of Ansen brand on their website but can’t find them for sale anywhere.
James Hastings
http://www.fastlaneinnovations.com
'69 Cobra, 416FE, MS3-Pro EFI, TKO-600, RamDuct Ram Air System

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Brent Lykins
(Login blykins)
Members

The issue is that the helicoil in the stand bolt hole....

February 11 2018, 4:25 PM 

....partially covers the oiling passage. So without grinding a little bit of the insert away, you won't get anything in a straight shot down in that hole.

Typically, if I know that I'll be running a restrictor, I'll grind that part away, and then either tap the hole for a 5/16-18" set screw, or a 1/16" NPT pipe plug. Then you can drill either plug for the right size.

You need something with about a .070-.080" orifice in it.

I would imagine if you got creative on shaping something, you could slide it in the hole around the insert.

Respond to this message   

James H
(Login wookie1)
Members

Thanks Brent

February 11 2018, 7:05 PM 

I should’ve taken the time to do this when the heads were off. The set screw would’ve been so easy. Maybe if I’m careful, I can grind the helicoil away (catch the filings with a towel), rap the hole, spin the oil pump a little with a drill to flush the hole while being careful to catch those chips.

Hey, do you know of any valve covers that might work? The stamped steel chrome covers I have don’t look that nice and don’t seal that well.
James Hastings

Respond to this message   

Blair Patrick
(Login CaptCobrajet)
Members

You might think about......

February 11 2018, 7:13 PM 

sleeving the bottom of the pedestal on the oiling stand. If you restrict the area around the stud, you can accomplish the same thing, and not have to worry about trash getting anywhere. You can do it on the bench. Figure the area of a .050 hole and then see how big the hole in the pedestal needs to be to get you that same area when you subtract the area of the stud......

Needle bearings don't need near as much oil. They can really bleed!
Blair Patrick

Respond to this message   

Blair Patrick
(Login CaptCobrajet)
Members

You might think about......

February 11 2018, 7:13 PM 

sleeving the bottom of the pedestal on the oiling stand. If you restrict the area around the stud, you can accomplish the same thing, and not have to worry about trash getting anywhere. You can do it on the bench. Figure the area of a .050 hole and then see how big the hole in the pedestal needs to be to get you that same area when you subtract the area of the stud......

Needle bearings don't need near as much oil. They can really bleed!
Blair Patrick

Respond to this message   
Rory McNeil
(Login RMCJ428)
Members

Valve covers

February 11 2018, 7:39 PM 

I have used the factory finned aluminum valve covers that came on the later 428 CJ engines with the Erson roller rockers, they fit OK once the oil baffles were removed. Plus they look "correct" because they were available of later 69 CJ engines. And they will clear the power brake booster on your 69 Cobra, because they did on mine. They are available new in plain or the "snake" versions from Tony D Branda or Carls Ford Parts.

Respond to this message   
Tom P
(Login tomposthuma)
Members

Re: Valve covers

February 12 2018, 9:39 AM 

On the factory aluminum ones you will be able to remove them more easily. The M/T, Cal Custom or others will require the booster to be off the car for that.

Respond to this message   

James H
(Login wookie1)
Members

That would be nice, I have to

February 12 2018, 7:12 PM 

Remove the booster to get the chrome Edelbrock cover off. I’d be happy to not have to do that anymore.
James Hastings

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index