Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Thanks Dad!

February 11 2018 at 5:59 PM
Jim  (Login FormerlyCyclonic66)
Members

My father left me his tool collection. Some items I may never use (dwell meter), but this one got used this weekend on a 390 I'm putting together.
A little Loctite, a couple hits and you're done.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Jim
(Login FormerlyCyclonic66)
Members

Of course,

February 11 2018, 6:03 PM 

This is the only fastener application like this that I can think of in my entire life's history.

If I didn't have this tool, I would abandon these screws for a reduced head hex.

Respond to this message   
randy
(Login fatheroftwo)
Members

Used an impact driver many a time..

February 11 2018, 7:53 PM 

on Phillips head screws on motorcycle engine side cases.
No other way to get them loose.

Respond to this message   
Rory McNeil
(Login RMCJ428)
Members

Re: Used an impact driver many a time..

February 11 2018, 10:33 PM 

Impact drivers are indeed a handy tool to have around old cars, but regarding the OE Phillips head screws, I bought a larges Phillips head 3/8" drive socket that has always had no issues removing those screws. Works fine for torquing them as well.Its in the tool box, right next to the 19/32" socket, for the 428 CJ rod nuts.

Respond to this message   
a70
(Login a70elliminator)
Members

Striker plates

February 12 2018, 3:00 AM 

If you ever need to remove your door post striker that is the only tool for the job.

Respond to this message   
Tom P
(Login tomposthuma)
Members

older stuff

February 12 2018, 9:35 AM 

On a 50's Mercedes I was working on there were lots of slot head screws that would have been impossible to get out without the impact driver. It really works well for that but I wouldn't use it to install a screw.

Respond to this message   
Rich
(Login truckpoor)
Members

Invest in better bit

February 12 2018, 5:56 AM 

From what I see that one has seen better days. Impact is the only way to go on aluminum.

Respond to this message   

Anonymous
(Login 10w30dna)
Members

Or correct Pozi drive bit

February 13 2018, 4:10 AM 

I believe both are actually Pozi drive. There is a difference.
Engines are like garages,never big enough! Check out my distributor restoration sites! New http://428cobrajetcars.com

Respond to this message   
Rich
(Login truckpoor)
Members

Posi drive bit?

February 13 2018, 4:57 AM 

have not heard that term before. Do you have to change the clutches in that? More info please.

Respond to this message   

Anonymous
(Login 10w30dna)
Members

Pozi drive bits for pozi drive bolts

February 13 2018, 11:26 AM 

Pozi bits have a more round tip and fit EXACTLY ,with no play. Once you use the correct pozi bit you will be amazed. No need for the impact driver,which when used on painted body can damage the paint and/or the body filler hiding there. The bolts are marked with extra lines to identify them. If nobody has damaged one by using a phillips bit you can use a 1/2" breaker bar without slipping......right tool makes a huge difference. Try one
Engines are like garages,never big enough! Check out my distributor restoration sites! New http://428cobrajetcars.com

This message has been edited by 10w30dna on Feb 13, 2018 11:27 AM

Respond to this message   
Tom P
(Login tomposthuma)
Members

impact driver

February 13 2018, 8:59 PM 

I am working in a motorsickle trailer for a guy, I needed to take the lights off and they are held with Phillips screws into the thick frame. No way would two of them come out and they are recessed so no using vice grips or grinding the head off.
I borrowed an impact driver and got both out fairly easily considering a sharp screwdriver was just rounding out the cross.

Respond to this message   

J. Stasiak
(Login joe66gt)
Members

Valve grinding compound...

February 14 2018, 2:38 PM 

A little valve grinding compound on the screwdriver tip makes fast work of removing stubborn screws.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index