GENERAL DISCUSSION

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Started another QB project.....

October 3 2016 at 1:43 AM
No score for this post
bReTt  (Login CBPeter)
from IP address 65.102.181.176

I've been wanting a nice PCP for some time now. I had always thought that a Daystate Airwolf or Wolverine in .22 would be the ultimate airgun for me. I also thought that a BSA R10 would be a nice one to own. Those guns are way more airgun than I would need for the backyard plinking that do and a lot of money to boot!

To remedy the issue of cost and performance I decided to convert another QB78 to a HPA bottle gun and add the repeater conversion to it so that I will have ten shot bolt action at my finger tips. I thought why not make a piece of furniture for the new creation and model it after the desirable Daystate Airwolf? So on an impulse I traced my current QB on a piece of paper and drew a copy of the Airwolf over the tracing. Next thing I knew I was in the shop making sawdust! Ha ha ha

Here is the start of a new QB78 repeater in the form of an Airwolf.......

photo IMG_0327_zpsbu8zettu.jpg

photo IMG_0328_zpsua5h04xp.jpg

photo IMG_0329_zpszg5amdit.jpg
Brett

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Fangster
(Login LOBOWHITEFANG)
Owner

QB stock

No score for this post
October 3 2016, 2:36 PM 

Got to say that looks like some pictures that HOWIE sent me when making me 4 48/52 stocks.

You got it going on with that wood. Can't wait to see this project as the wood takes shape.

Howie would after the rough out and do the cut out of the gun bed. Even shot the gun in the rough out. Then he did his magic to the shape and design.

Great start and thanks for sharing it here!💀
FANG
JUNKYARD AIRGUN'S

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

TMurray
(Login bustachip)

Brett that stock will be really nice!

No score for this post
October 3 2016, 8:06 PM 

I'm guessing that's walnut? Man you could be making stocks as a side business...LOL,
but if you're like me that would take the fun out of it....don't like to mix work
with my leisure time.

Regards, Thomas M.

bReTt
(Login CBPeter)

Thanks

No score for this post
October 3 2016, 10:51 PM 

I'll try and keep this updated as I make progress, not only the stock but the action too when I get it and the parts for it. Inletting for the action is next. I did get one hole drilled but that's not very exciting to look at! Ha ha ha!

More to come.....
Brett

bReTt
(Login CBPeter)

I be thankin' ya Thomas

No score for this post
October 3 2016, 10:54 PM 

You guessed correctly, it is black walnut.

It is nice to think that I could make some stocks on the side but I am like you in that it probably would take the fun out of it AND I'm not very fast at it either! Ha ha ha

More will be coming.....
Brett

bReTt
(Login CBPeter)

Little progress

No score for this post
October 7 2016, 6:08 PM 

Just a little progress on the stock today...

I mounted the old butt pad from my QB78 to it and started inletting for the trigger housing by drilling holes to remove the bulk of the material. I will square up the hole and clear the sides with a chisel. After that I plan to chuck a cove bit into the router table and route the channel for the airtube.

The QB78 that will fit into this stock delivered yesterday so I have what I need to fit the action into the stock. The multi shot conversion is out of stock at AirgunDepot but, they say it will be available in a couple of weeks to deliver so I have that to look forward to. It will also give me time to work the wood and do the mods on the action to make it HPA.

THANKS FOR LOOKING!

photo IMG_0333_zps47yy4nwj.jpg

photo IMG_0334_zpsvkrq4wzl.jpg

I also bought a carving wheel from Harbor Freight to help remove wood fast when shaping and this is the test area to see how it was going to work. It will remove wood quick! I had better take it easy with this one......

photo IMG_0336_zpsyc6txukh.jpg
Brett

Mike Ellingsworth
(Login 4888blues)

yep the flap wheel disc sanders from harbor freight they work great !

No score for this post
October 7 2016, 7:01 PM 

bought the different grits its like a wood eraser LOL

also Arbourtech had couple things for fine contours but they are very expensive.

Looks very good brett, Thats gonna be really nice! yeah the time factor two days out of the week is all I have to myself, I put things on hold until I feel like getting back into anythng.

This message has been edited by 4888blues from IP address 184.166.244.115 on Oct 7, 2016 7:15 PM

Fangster
(Login LOBOWHITEFANG)
Owner

Impressive

No score for this post
October 7 2016, 9:10 PM 

Looks like your making headway. That wood has some nice grain.

Not sure if your using the flapper we heel or disc but either one Will eat that wood. For inside the stock cutting I use the a metal bur bit type tool. It is really made for metal prepping but works great on wood with my Dewalt end grinder.Even with that you have to be careful. Only thing bad about the end grinder is not having a speed setting. It is a high speed tool.

Looking good!💀
FANG
JUNKYARD AIRGUN'S

TMurray
(Login bustachip)

Looking good Brett....

No score for this post
October 7 2016, 9:22 PM 

I would measure three times and cut once..LOL, but you look like you know what you're doing, so carry on.

How much does a walnut blank like that cost, if you don't mind me asking? It does have
some nice grain.

Take your time and it will turn out great!

Regards, Thomas M.

bReTt
(Login CBPeter)

I get my wood blanks from

No score for this post
October 7 2016, 10:10 PM 

a guy named Cecil Fredi. Gunstockblanks.com

I have bought the cheapest ones available which are $40

He has some really fancy high grade stuff but I'm too cheap and scared to cut into too much money! Ha ha ha
Brett

Fangster
(Login LOBOWHITEFANG)
Owner

Wood

No score for this post
October 8 2016, 7:52 AM 

Thanks for sharing the wood link. Not a bad price for a ready to work walnut blank.
FANG
JUNKYARD AIRGUN'S

bReTt
(Login CBPeter)

A little shop time tonight....

No score for this post
October 9 2016, 11:05 PM 

I was able to sneak to the shop for some woodworking fun.

I set up the router table to route the groove in the stock for the air tube to rest.

I only wanted the groove to go so far so I marked the stock where the groove was to stop. I made a mark where the router bit edge would be perpendicular to the fence. I aligned the mark on the table with the mark on the stock and set the stop block.

photo IMG_7693_zpsph1zuvap.jpg

photo IMG_7694_zpstdcgkb4g.jpg

photo IMG_7697_zpstwolksvt.jpg

photo IMG_7695_zpsrgz6xeph.jpg

The air tube is 7/8" in diameter and I only had a 3/4" cove bit to work with. I didn't want to spend the extra $$$ on a bit so I will get a 7/8" dowel and glue sandpaper to it to make the correct radius in the groove for a good fit. I still need to clean out the trigger housing mortise and square the ends so the action will fit into the wood. Hope to get to that tomorrow and have the action drop in. Then the shaping will begin! That's the fun part.

photo IMG_7696_zpsjfjw5kbe.jpg

Brett

bReTt
(Login CBPeter)

I couldn't sleep....

No score for this post
October 10 2016, 4:33 AM 

so after laying there for a while trying to sleep, I decided to head out and see what progress I could make on the stock.

I started out with cleaning up the mortise for the trigger housing and squaring the ends.

Before....

photo IMG_7699_zpsfpiizxpy.jpg

After....

photo IMG_7708_zps0c0zqwug.jpg

Next I found a piece of PVC pipe that was close to the 7/8" diameter needed to sand the air tube groove. I wrapped a couple wraps of blue tape to make it a little fatter to get the 7/8" needed. It was easy to hold the sandpaper on the pipe and sand so I didn't need to glue it on.

photo IMG_0337_zpsymekjipq.jpg

photo IMG_7710_zpsdvbb93hi.jpg

I did a little more sanding with the spindle sander to get the trigger guard area shaped to fit and refined the profile some like the curve in the grip and inside the thumbhole along with the top back of the cheek and butt pad.

photo IMG_7705_zpsxvkhutrg.jpg

Here is the action sitting in the wood.

photo IMG_0338_zpsjuos7wa6.jpg

Brett

Fangster
(Login LOBOWHITEFANG)
Owner

Lookin good

No score for this post
October 10 2016, 4:35 PM 

Love the pictures of the work in progress. You have great woods skills,not to forget all your other skills.

Thanks for sharing!
FANG
JUNKYARD AIRGUN'S

bReTt
(Login CBPeter)

A little closer.....

Score 5.0 (1 person)
October 10 2016, 10:47 PM 

Not much time in the shop today. One of my sons turned 14 on Saturday and we went and shot his new Marlin Model 60 .22 LR. We had a blast!

After cleaning the .22s, I spent a little time working on the QB78. I am to the point where I need to inlet the stock for the tank block and the tank. I figured where I wanted to make the cut on the air tube and marked around the circumference for a guide line. I used a hacksaw to cut it and trued the cut up on a disc sander using a miter guage. Here you can see the rough cut on the waste piece and the cleaned up end on the other. I used 400 grit paper on a sanding block to make a nicer finish and I eased the inside and outside edges. I then used Birchwood Casey cold blue to blend in the color.

photo IMG_0339_zpsdn9wzyyc.jpg

This is the tank block adapter. See the clean fit to the end of the tube. I will drill and tap two screws to secure the block to the tube later.

photo IMG_0340_zpslynpofae.jpg

photo IMG_0341_zpsrmwy4eao.jpg

Now that the tube was cut to length, I could mark the blank to drill out the wood to receive tank block.

photo IMG_0343_zpsf9ifcmdh.jpg

I took the wood to the drill press and used a couple different sized Forstner bits to remove the bulk of the material. I will use a chisel to square the mortise and clean the edges.

photo IMG_0345_zpstavcdxx3.jpg

Brett

bReTt
(Login CBPeter)

Thanks Mike!

No score for this post
October 10 2016, 11:03 PM 

I am trying to be patient with this project. I must admit that I am very excited to see how it will all come together and look when it is complete with the multi-shot on it. I hope it looks and performs well. I am taking it in small, steady steps, a little each day or when time permits. Taking my time also helps me to think through it and hopefully not make as many mistakes! ha ha ha.

I bought the 24 grit wheel from HF. It's not a sanding flap but a gold colored wheel with HUGE grit on it! I don't know if you have seen what I am trying to describe.... wait, let me go take a picture! This thing removes wood fast. It's a wood eraser just like you said!

photo IMG_0347_zpsprumzmb3.jpg

Brett

Fangster
(Login LOBOWHITEFANG)
Owner

Holy Cow

No score for this post
October 11 2016, 12:17 AM 

Yes those wheels will remove the woof very fast. Also make for some serious sanding.Wow!!
FANG
JUNKYARD AIRGUN'S

TMurray
(Login bustachip)

Brett, I see you're making some progress on the

No score for this post
October 11 2016, 4:19 PM 

stock, but still a lot of whittling to do to shape the profile. Do you use a machine
to remove wood from both sides of the stock to make it thinner, or will it be that
thick when finished?

I used to shoot 22's a lot when younger, but now I can't seem to find any ammo much
at all...LOL, matter of fact, I've pretty much gave up on it a couple of years ago.
I'm not paying insane prices for 22LR ammo....nope not going do it. How's the ammo
situation where you live?

Stock is taking shape, and looking good!

Regards, Thomas M.

bReTt
(Login CBPeter)

Forging ahead....

Score 5.0 (1 person)
October 12 2016, 1:41 PM 

I made it into the shop again for another session on the QB78 stock! YAY!

I learned that I could have saved some time and achieved better results by channeling the front out while at the router table the first time but live and learn. I hope that I remember that if I ever make one of these again...

I made some good progress...

Here I went to the drill press and hogged out some wood for the fill nipple on the bottom of the forestock.

photo IMG_0353_zpsutxxgakk.jpg

I cleaned up the edges with a chisel.

photo IMG_0354_zpslcmuqzhs.jpg

photo IMG_0358_zpsmwwabdxk.jpg

photo IMG_0369_zpsb8xuiuvz.jpg

Flipping the stock over I needed to make a channel for the regulator and bottle to rest in and make a cut for the pressure guage on the side.

photo IMG_0357_zpspiwfzhn7.jpg

photo IMG_0359_zpsxsryle20.jpg

photo IMG_0360_zps5as6ecta.jpg

I went back to the router table and did a similar set up like when I routed the air tube groove. Here is where I could have routed the channel for the tank block and the tank in one step but I didn't know that at the time. A little material needed to be removed for burst disc on the opposite side of the regulator to fit down into the wood. I drilled deeper than I needed or wanted to.... I hope that it doesn't affect the stock when shaping by taking wood off and exposing the holes.

After the channel was routed I cut the curve out on the nose and sanded it to final shape.

photo IMG_0366_zpsnf18tunq.jpg

Next step is to carve out the material under the bottle so it fits down into the wood all the way.

photo IMG_0365_zpsphr0pden.jpg

Brett

Fangster
(Login LOBOWHITEFANG)
Owner

Big time

No score for this post
October 12 2016, 1:49 PM 

Progress. Lookin good.
FANG
JUNKYARD AIRGUN'S

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 56 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  
Find more forums on SportsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement