search_cont_herald_130x46.png
logo_layout_complete_jaw_640x179.pngimage_upload_shift_100x100px.png
welcome_blk.pngessentials_blk.pngfree_blk.pngwatercolor_academy_blk_smooth_2.pngmembers_portfolios_blk.pngthe_watercooler_blk.png

Glenda's "Lake Erie Lily"

<< Previous TopicReturn to The Water Cooler  

Please Introduce Yourself !

July 2 2014 at 1:48 PM
No score for this post

Patrice  (Login Patrice_B)
Just - Add - Water's - The Water Cooler

Welcome to all our NEW MEMBERS!

Please introduce yourself, tell us where you are from, what you like to paint, or like about painting, or would like to learn about painting in watercolor!

Glad you're here!

thanks_patrice.png

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Patrice
(Login Patrice_B)

Re: Please Introduce Yourself !

No score for this post
July 13 2014, 8:35 AM 

I'll begin.

I live in the USA, in the deep South. Moonlight and magnolias. Peaches and roses. Mild winters, HOT summers. Leafy green. Humidity. My family came to this part of the country in the early 1830s and were pioneers in the town where I live. In a way, I feel like a pioneer too. Mr. B and I built our house with our own four hands. I designed it. Studied things like what size board it takes to span so many feet and such things, so it would be a strong house and meet or exceed local code. He figured out the logistics of how to do things with there being only two of us, and together we hammered, plumbed, roofed, sheet rocked, and did the things electricians do. One of his best inventions was a system of using pulleys and sailboat hardware, AKA jam cleats, to haul sheet rock up to the 14 foot ceiling height in the living room - safely. He also figured out how to take my designs for things like nine foot high doors and twelve foot high windows and make them into reality. We did everything except install the septic tank, which local code would not allow.

As an artist, I have experience working in many media, beginning early on with crayons, pencil, colored pencils, oils, acrylic, pastel and some bas reflief, wood carving sculpture. I began painting in oils, designing and making my own clothes, and saved for and purchased my first camera at age nine, partially funded by mowing grass for my mother, but also from selling my drawings to classmates at school. My first sale of an oil painting was a commissioned work for my high school Spanish teacher when I was 16. By the time I was 20, I was a professional artist.

Other interests: I love to sail. It's like a magic carpet ride. We have a sloop docked on a bayou that connects to the Gulf of Mexico. It's beautiful there. When I'm home, most mornings begin with a photo safari through my garden. We've planted roses, camellias, magnolias, azaleas and other flowers. Lots of vegetables too. I love to cook. Love to eat even more!

I've worked at a few other jobs here and there in my life, including as the Assistant Curator of Education at the Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts, in Montgomery, Alabama and owning my own art gallery, frame shop and art supply store in Mobile, Alabama, but for the most part, I've been a professional artist and art teacher, primarily working from my home. I specialized in portraiture around age 22 and have been a professional portrait painter most of my working life.

I became seriously ill in the early 2000s, which sadly, meant giving up my career. After a long period of inactivity, I realized I simply couldn't stand not painting anymore. But what could I do? And how?

I used to carry two trunks of photography equipment with me when I went to clients' homes. Each weighed about 40 pounds. Now I'm not supposed to ever pick up more than five pounds with my right hand, for the rest of my life. I have nerve damage in my legs and feet, so I can't stand at the easel for four to six hours at the time the way I used to. My asthma, COPD, no, I never smoked, and arthritis, which I've always had, are harder to overcome these days. Not to mention the migraines. I simply don't have the stamina required for professional portrait painting and never will again.

So...what to do? Not paint? It was killing me... so I decided to take up watercolor... I can work sitting down and can rest my right arm most of the time I'm working... and I love it! So many of the 'rules' I already know about art apply as equally to watercolor as any other medium, and I took to it like a duck to water!

Teaching art has always been second nature to me. It's something I've done for many years. With the advent of the internet, I've realized I can share my love of art, painting and most of all, love of COLOR, world wide.

What joy! Let's see what we can learn together!

Once again, I'm glad you're here!!!

thanks_patrice.png

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

Patrice
(Login Patrice_B)

No score for this post
September 20 2014, 11:07 AM 

In another forum I participate in, we all created an approximately 1 minute video showing what it is like where we live. Here is mine:

Sweet Home Alabama from AquarelleArtist on Vimeo.

Home, sweet home, Alabama the beautiful.

This message has been edited by Patrice_B on Sep 20, 2014 1:51 PM

Charlie
(Login Charlie)

A Little Info About Me

No score for this post
August 8 2015, 6:16 AM 

Found this site through another internet artist friend and saw that the work that Patrice does is so lovely. I feel that the only way I can continue to grow, learn and develop skills in watercolor is to continue taking classes and .. practice, practice, practice. I'm a little old lady who lives on a farm in northeastern Indiana, has oil painted for longer than most people have been alive .. but am pretty new to watercolors. Taking watercolor classes, learning this new medium is part of my journey in continuing to grow and learn ... I believe that you are never ever too old to learn!
Here "on the farm" we did 3 wetland restorations and what a joy it is to watch the migratory birds, the deer and all the critters that visit and live in and around the wetlands. It's great just to sit and listen.
I would like to enroll in the online video classes but am still unfamiliar with how this site/forum words and have been unable to find the link to attend/join the classes, so any assistance would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Charlie

Anonymous
(Login Patrice_B)

No score for this post
August 8 2015, 11:47 AM 

Hello Charlie!

Welcome to Just-Add-Water! You're the first person to register here on your own. That is, the previously registered members were already (internet) friends of mine and I invited them to help me test things out. No surprise that you haven't been able to figure out how to sign up for classes... that part of the site isn't up and running just yet, but will be soon.

It's nice to hear you are interested in wildlife and waterfowl in particular . I've recently filmed a little sparrow that will be my first tutorial. Additional recent 'victims' are a couple of green herons, a blue heron, some ducks and Swan geese. Mr. B has been refurbishing our jon boat and we've been visiting and filming at a small lake nearby. Once everything is set we'll probably be going down some creeks and into a nearby swamp.

I live on a couple of acres outside a small town that is outside a small city. I love the peace and quiet here.

I too painted in oils for ages and have switched to watercolor. I love them both.

Please let me know if you have additional questions about the forum segment or the other parts of Just-Add-Water.

welcome again,

Patrice

Anonymous
(Login Patrice_B)

No score for this post
August 8 2015, 7:11 PM 

Charlie,

I tried to send you an email but failed. Please contact me at:

patrice@just-add-water.co

thanks!

Glenda
(Login GlendaMcC)

No score for this post
August 26 2015, 10:29 PM 

Hello Patrice,
I accidently found your site thru clicking around on Facebook. Your paintings are wonderful. I was pleasantly surprised when I made it thru the registration process and recognized your face from another forum.

I have lived in Ohio for about 28 years, although I would have to say I am still am a Virginia girl at heart. I love painting flowers, leaves and objects that are familiar and well loved. I was introduced to watercolor years ago by an evangelist's wife who painted lovely pictures of magnolias exclusively. She responded to my curiosity by allowing me to experiment with her paints. I fell in love immediately. As the paint swirled and mingled in the palette, my heart was stolen. I am basically self-taught, gleaning from books and DVD's. I am never satisfied with my work but I am always trying to improve.

Thanks for this resource.

Glenda

Anonymous
(Login Patrice_B)

No score for this post
August 27 2015, 10:32 AM 

Hello Glenda... and WELCOME!

So glad to have you here. I'm sorry I'm late replying to you. I guess I ought to look in here at least once a day!

Please do take a look around. There are instructions for how to upload an image and there are some photos that show examples of the types of tutorials I'll be offering on the Watercolor-Academy link.

I'm currently in the process of creating and editing the painting tutorials and putting together the info for supplies and tips. So much to do. So little time! happy.gif

I'd love to see what you've been working on lately and thanks for the compliments on my work. I know what you mean about loving to paint!

Patrice

This message has been edited by Patrice_B on Aug 27, 2015 12:53 PM

Charlie
(Login Charlie)

Hiya Glenda

No score for this post
August 28 2015, 7:42 AM 

Hello Glenda ... and welcome!!! I know that we are both excited and glad to be hear .. looking forward to this learning adventure! .. since you live in Ohio, you are a "neighbor" ... I live on a farm near Fort Wayne, In .... which is pretty close to the Ohio state line! ... again, welcome! Hugs...Charlie

Glenda
(Login GlendaMcC)

Thanks, Charlie

No score for this post
August 28 2015, 10:34 AM 

Fort Wayne, that is really neat. My son lived there for a while. You do feel like a "near" neighbor. Thanks for the welcome.
Glenda

Glenda
(Login GlendaMcC)

Question

No score for this post
August 28 2015, 10:47 AM 

Dear Patrice,
Does your upload images instructions include the IPad? I have tried to upload and have had no success. However, my computer savvy is mid range, or rather, not the greatest. 😐
Glenda

Patrice
(Login Patrice_B)

No score for this post
August 28 2015, 10:51 AM 

Glenda,

I hate to admit - I have no idea! I've never used an iPad.

The owners of Network54 have recently been making changes that incorporate HTML 5, which applies to tablets and mobile phones, I believe. Not sure how that relates to Mac in general. I'll see what I can find out.

Patrice

Glenda
(Login GlendaMcC)

Thanks

No score for this post
August 28 2015, 11:42 AM 

I appreciate the reply. I was able to upload to file folder but unable to post in this thread from the IPad. I will click away on my Mac to upload. Thanks so much, Patrice
Glenda

Anonymous
(Login Patrice_B)

No score for this post
August 28 2015, 11:47 AM 

Please feel free to experiment. I'll check with the NW 54 owners but the problem you're having may well relate to some part of my own code here.

As I want to have everything work perfectly I appreciate your question because I had no idea there was a problem.

I'm currently trying to figure out how I destroyed the forum header and what I can do to fix it. All it takes is one wrong keystroke! Yikes!

I tell myself that I figured it out before - I can fix it! happy.gif

GlendaMcC
(Login GlendaMcC)

iPad image Upload

No score for this post
September 3 2015, 3:38 PM 

glenda_lotus_w_frog.jpg
My current WIP.

EDIT: I've replaced your image with a smaller version so it won't break the forum formatting. This is 700 pixels wide x 980 high.

Patrice

This message has been edited by Patrice_B on Sep 3, 2015 8:29 PM

GlendaMcC
(Login GlendaMcC)

IPad image Upload

No score for this post
September 3 2015, 3:57 PM 

Hi Patrice,
It seems that I muddled through the upload process. Unless I was doing something weird, I could not start a message, copy the url and return to that message in Watercooler. I had to copy the image info first, start a new message, then paste in the image . I tried several times but was unable to return to Watercooler after I had copied the image url.

What should I do about sizing the image? It is huge. 😕???

Glenda

This message has been edited by GlendaMcC on Sep 3, 2015 4:00 PM

Anonymous
(Login Patrice_B)

No score for this post
September 3 2015, 8:26 PM 

It looks as if you have been successful at uploading the image of your painting via your iPad. Great!

Sorry you've had so much trouble doing it. I can see that I need to create a video tutorial on how to upload images here. Hopefully 'seeing it done' will make it easier to understand than trying to follow written instructions.

Size? You need to upload images that are around 700 - a max of 900 pixels wide. Obviously I need to include that in my upload instructions.

It should be possible to change the image size in an image editor. Which image editor do you use?

Patrice

GlendaMcC
(Login Patrice_B)

No score for this post
September 3 2015, 8:30 PM 

I like your lotus and froggie, Glenda! You've done a great job on the water drops. Not always an easy thing to do.

What is the source of your inspiration?

This message has been edited by Patrice_B on Sep 3, 2015 8:32 PM

GlendaMcC
(Login GlendaMcC)

No score for this post
September 3 2015, 10:33 PM 

I use PhotoShop CS2 to resize my images. I had just snapped the one of my painting with my IPad camera. I will have to check to see if there are resolution options. As for the inspiration for the painting. I had snapped a photo on vacation at Lake Erie. As you can see, It is a sad looking little thing but served the purpose. Lol.
[linked image]

I try to give myself a learning assignment for each painting. My self challenge for this piece was to learn how to do water droplets. Thanks for your encouragement.

Glenda

PS
I am losing my password each time I log in. I have had to reset it 3 times. Sorry to bug you.

This message has been edited by GlendaMcC on Sep 8, 2015 11:04 AM

Anonymous
(Login Patrice_B)

No score for this post
September 4 2015, 1:59 PM 

[quote]
It seems that I muddled through the upload process. Unless I was doing something weird, I could not start a message, copy the url and return to that message in Watercooler. I had to copy the image info first, start a new message, then paste in the image .[/quote]

I've figured out why. To insert an image in the middle of a message one must press the SHIFT key at the same time as the White Plus sign. That opens the Image Upload process into a new page and the page where the partial message has been written is not lost.

I'm getting some help with the html code the forum runs on. Once the header is straightened out I'm going to create a step by step video tutorial and will include the SHIFT step.

I really like your Lotus photo. Seeing it, I imagine you will enhance the intensities of the yellow in your painting. I believe your lavender shadow layers are already dark enough.

Patrice

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous TopicReturn to The Water Cooler  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement