search_cont_herald_130x46.png
logo_layout_complete_jaw_640x179.pngimage_upload_shift_100x100px.png
welcome_blk.pngessentials_blk.pngfree_blk.pngwatercolor_academy_blk_smooth_2.pngmembers_portfolios_blk.pngthe_watercooler_blk.png

Glenda's "Lake Erie Lily"

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to The Water Cooler  

Goodies

August 17 2015 at 3:55 PM
No score for this post
Charlie  (Login Charlie)
Just - Add - Water's - The Water Cooler

The brush and the value chart arrived in the mail today ... thank you so very very much.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Patrice
(Login Patrice_B)

Re: Goodies

No score for this post
August 27 2015, 12:56 PM 

You're so very welcome!

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
GlendaMcC
(Login GlendaMcC)

Goodies

No score for this post
September 8 2015, 1:47 PM 

Hi Patice,
My package came today. Alas, it was totally mangled by the post office. What was sent? I received a neat grayscale. It was bent but very usable. Thank you.
Glenda

Patrice
(Login Patrice_B)

No score for this post
September 8 2015, 2:30 PM 

Glenda,

I'm so sorry! You should have received a paintbrush and a grey scale card. If you didn't receive the brush, I'll send you another.

In a way this is a good thing. I wondered if I should look for more substantial mailing envelopes. I paid extra postage so the envelope would not go through the auto scanner and still it is mangled. Not good.

This lets me know that out of two sent out, one was fine and the other mangled. 50/50 chance of mangled is awful!!! I'm glad I haven't sent out 100 mangled ones at once!

Um, I might as well send you another greyscale card at the same time. I'll go envelope shopping soon.

I've finally - finally gotten the forum header repaired and hopefully figured out how to embed a YouTube video here. I've been asking some questions in the admin help area and the tech guy there cannot see embeded YouTube videos. He only sees the link. Please do watch the video on Uploading Images to the forum on the sticky thread above - and let me know if you see the video itself embedded here or just a link what you think of it.

Does it explain things well enough? Does seeing make it easier than reading? I plan on doing it over anyway. It was my first time using the software. I'm sure I can do better. I also should have taken the viewer through another way to transition between the forum thread and the image upload page. As I have never used a tablet I'm not sure if my instructions will work well enough for tablet users. I guess I need to try it out on my smart phone and see how that works.

Patrice

GlendaMcC
(Login GlendaMcC)

Concerning video

No score for this post
September 9 2015, 1:09 PM 

Dear Patrice,
The video is easily viewed on my IPad, and yes, very helpful. Your voice is pleasant, as well, and that is nice. 😀 I will give the upload a try on my tablet. I am pushing to finish my Lily. Maybe this will prod me forward.

Thanks for the redo on the goodie pack. The whole bottom side of the envelope was ragged and open. I received it in a plastic bag from the P.O. I was more concerned that you had sent instructions and I was missing them.

I admire your tenacity, it is a lot of work, requiring real commitment and concentration to get this program up and running. I am glad to help you in any way I can. Good job.
Glenda

Anonymous
(Login Patrice_B)

No score for this post
September 10 2015, 9:01 AM 

Glenda,

I'm very glad to hear the video would open on your iPad. That has been one of my major concerns. What I left out of this video was a way to back space from the Image Uploader Page itself to the forum. I have to assume a tablet has a way to go back a page - but I don't know if tablets have tabs. I definitely meant to include both methods.

Glad to hear my voice was okay too. Realizing I needed to create the video again I did not make a higher quality recording. This one is straight from the mic in my laptop.

I bought 100 envelopes yesterday and will be re-mailing your Goodie Pack either today or tomorrow.

Things are coming along. Thanks so much for your help. There's nothing like having good feedback on what is working and what is not BEFORE opening the doors wide!

Please look in from time to time. The checkbox below in the message posting area that says "Also send responses to my email address" is not functional. The guys at NW54 know about this and have promised to work on it.

Patrice

GlendaMcC
(Login GlendaMcC)

Just give me a " holler"

No score for this post
September 10 2015, 9:51 AM 

Dear Patrice,
I will check in from time to time as you requested but if there is something specific you would like me to do, just slip me an email. I check it every day. Have a great day...
Glenda

Anonymous
(Login Patrice_B)

No score for this post
September 10 2015, 12:20 PM 

Every day is most generous of you! I didn't mean several times a day - maybe every day or two or three until there is some real activity going on here that you'll want to participate in. This forum has been dormant for many months when I haven't checked in - until I received emails about Charlie and you joining - so this is the most activity it has seen, ever. I expect that to change dramatically once we're 'Open'.

I also did not want you to not come back to look for say, a week or two or longer, because you may have checked the box for replies and thought no one had replied.

I'm still editing and will notify you and Charlie as son as the trial tutorial is ready to go. Sorry to have been held up so many days trying to get the forum formatting corrected. There were upgrades to the forum software in July that changed the way the forums react to scripts. It all looked OK until I made a change, then it all went haywire.

Anyway, fixed now and the new code for embedding videos has been figured out too, so I think this part of the web site is coming along pretty well. I DO wish NW54 would fix the Email Reply service or remove the checkbox altogether.

Thank you for your patience.

This message has been edited by Patrice_B on Sep 12, 2015 3:56 PM

GlendaMcC
(Login GlendaMcC)

No score for this post
September 10 2015, 1:41 PM 

I am sure it will be worth the wait.
Glenda

Anonymous
(Login Patrice_B)

No score for this post
September 10 2015, 4:28 PM 

Actually... I'm sure it will be too! very big grin!

Your NEW Goodies packet is coming via United States Postal Service 1st class parcel - so it should NOT go through a sorting machine. Mailed it about 45 minutes ago. Your tracking number is:

9500 1117 67765253 0931 60

Please let me know when it arrives and what kind of condition it is in.

There are no instructions - but that is a great idea! I'll have to get to work on a write-up to send out with them.

I have a demo on how to use a Grey Scale card that will be among my Free Tips and Tips Clips.

The brush is one I cannot work without. I don't use it to paint - I use it to remove paint - and call it my Eraser brush. I have three sizes, one smaller and one larger but this one is the one I use the majority of the time.

The bristles are just hard and springy enough to scrub with but soft enough that the paper is not damaged.

Well, usually not. It is possible to dig a hole in the paper. A stiffer brush, such as hog's hair, can do that in a jiffy. I feel this particular brush is perfect. It has strength and doesn't flop over when wet like a squirrel's hair brush does. It is a synthetic, but a very good one. I believe you will come to love it as much as I do.

Patrice

Charlie
(Login Charlie)

Music To My Ear

No score for this post
September 12 2015, 8:16 AM 

Just popped in to see what was going and and what progress was made and read this: I'm still editing and will notify you and Charlie as son as the trial tutorial is ready to go. .... it's music to my ears!!!! Also, go to see that beautiful lily pad painting by Glenda! ... things are really coming together! Brava!!! ... Hugs ... Charlie

(Login Patrice_B)

No score for this post
September 13 2015, 5:41 PM 

Hi Charlie!

Nice to see you peeking in - and yes, Glenda's lotus is really coming along well!

I'm afraid a lost about a week of time because of changes that were made to the forum in July when I wasn't looking! The changes should make viewing easier for tablet and smart phone users but there are still some bugs here and there.

The forum header is back in place without all sorts of html code written on top of it and everything stretched waaaaaay out and in the wrong places. No way I could leave the forum like that!!!

My apologies that the test tutorials will take a while longer but I'm OH! so glad to have found out about the formatting changes before going live.

There is a new, locked thread on How to Upload Images to the Forum. Please watch it and in another thread give me your opinion about how easy - or not - it is to understand and follow - and any suggestions on how I can make it better. I will be doing it over because I only showed one way to navigate between the Forum UPLOAD page and the FORUM itself. Since I am not a tablet user I do not know how they navigate so I really want to show both ways I know to do it on a laptop or regular computer.

[linked image]

Patrice

Glenda McClellan
(Login GlendaMcC)

Goodie pkg

No score for this post
September 16 2015, 10:33 AM 

Hi Patrice,
Thanks for the lovely gifts. The items arrived perfectly in the new envelope. Both are so useful, the grayscale chart and I do love the wipeout brush. Thanks so much.
Glenda

(Login Patrice_B)

No score for this post
September 16 2015, 7:17 PM 

Glenda,

You're most welcome. I'm so glad to hear they arrived safely this time.

I'll be demonstrating the use of both in future and they are both very useful tools.

Patrice

Charlie
(Login Charlie)

Looking Forward

No score for this post
September 21 2015, 2:31 PM 

...am glad to hear that the test videos will be out soon ... can't wait to get going...it's always exciting to know that a learning adventure is on its way!!!!!

(Login Patrice_B)

Working, Playing, Working on it !!!!

No score for this post
September 22 2015, 3:52 PM 

I've been at it night and day! [linked image]

I thought I should begin at the beginning so I'm preparing some of the 'How to Get Ready to Paint' tutorials. They may (or may not) be below your level, but there will be some who need this and to me it is important that I don't assume that people already know all the things that I've been doing so long that I don't even think about it. I want to be a true teacher. I want my students to share in everything I know - things I've learned in the past 50+ years I've been painting, and a working artist for over 40 of those years.

I'm trying to edit to the bone. It is hard to do! I want to avoid boredom but not leave anything out that is important.

I'm breaking them into segments so each individual part won't be overly long. It is my intention to break up the 'real' painting tutorials into segments as well, but they will be considerably longer than these Hints & Tips tuts.

I want to learn how to best place the different segments, like chapters in a book, in the subscription area so all the chapters can be viewed individually after having been paid for once, just like a book. I have not subscribed to any online tutorials myself, but I imagine about 15 - 30 minutes would be about right for the viewer to be able to maintain concentration. Of course, I can paint for 5 or 6 hours in a row. No need to stop to eat or anything else - but I'm a little obsessed with painting! [linked image] Please let me know, if either of you have taken online lessons before, what you think about length of time for any individual lesson.

I have quite a few tutorials already filmed. They need to be edited. Your input on length of segment time is a valuable consideration for me.

This thread will be deleted before we 'Go Live.' (Probably some other threads here too.) Anything you say here will be just feedback for me. No one else. I am asking for honest opinions. I want this to be the best online watercolor classroom it can.

I'm [linked image] !!!

Patrice happy.gif

(Login Patrice_B)

No score for this post
September 22 2015, 4:23 PM 

Also...

Please follow the link to the Watercolor-Academy page, above, and let me know which of the potential tutorials appeal the most - and the least.

This message has been edited by Patrice_B on Sep 25, 2015 8:00 PM

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to The Water Cooler  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement