Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

Return to Index  

65/66 Galaxie XL 4-Speed Console

March 22 2012 at 7:59 AM
Wreckless Warren  (Login pcode390)
Members

Response to Looking for 1965 Galaxie 500 XL 4 speed console

As Lars said, both type consoles were used during the 65 production run but the slider was used for a greater period of time. My Dad's 65XL was built (I refuse to say "born") February 2, 1965 and it had the sliding plate. I remember very well my Dad missing a 1-2 shift because the plate was binding.

As soon as he got home he removed the plate, broke it into and threw it in the trash. (so much for that rare part).

When I re-accuired the car in 2005 the console plate was missing. Finding a 65/66 4-speed console plate is tuff. But finding one with Power Window Switches is major tuff.

I did manage to find one with the plate but it cost a fortune. The more I thought about it the more I hated that plate, and the way it looks, I wanna see an accordion type shift boot.

I found a 66 4-speed plate with PW switches but it needs restoring to look GREAT. Then I discovered Mikes Classic Cars was reproducing both flavors of the 66 plate and I bought one (they look good) I think Mike's still has some of the plats left and their a little less expensive than when first available

You will need the floor housing that goes with the 66 console and you will need the 66 console shifter and handle as well, their different. If the car was already cut for the older shifter you will need to cover up that hole some and cut a new one that accomodates the 66 setup.

Good luck with your project, I look forward to seeing some pics as you get along

[linked image]

[linked image] [linked image] [linked image]

1965 Galaxie 500XL 445ci Stroker C-6
1965 Galaxie 500XL 390ci P-Code, 4-Speed
2001 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 5.4L
2006 John Deer X320 Garden Tractor

Respond to this message