Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

Return to Index  

Vintage family photos: some FE, MOSTLY O/T (Old Macks 'n stuff)

November 22 2014 at 3:18 PM

Bill  (Login hvywrench)
Members

Since my Dad died, my Mom has been going through 'stuff' and getting things in order.
She came across a bunch of old photos, some are forum related, most are not, but some guys might find them interesting.
Plenty of old Mack Trucks, my Grandfather started a construction company back in the 40s and hired a bunch of returning servicemen.
First the FE-related stuff:

Once upon a time I experimented with Ansen slots on my car, F60-14 tires that rubbed on everything:

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

My '74 F250 with my brother's Road Runner in the background (taken probably'77 or '78). I really liked that truck.
And he used to really hammer on that Plymouth! It was a tin can, but still very cool to ramrod around in.
I still have the axles and transfer case from the '74, I'm using the C-6 in my current truck.

We lived in Shirley Mills, ME for about a year, this is the '57 Ranch wagon that got us there. This car made countless trips back and forth to ME from NW Conn. (about an 8 hour trip and the speed limit on the ME turnpike was 75) and I don't remember one single breakdown on the road (Of course I was pretty young, I was 5 and that is me in front of the car). We consider these cars classics and pamper them if we own them now, but back then they were just cars. My Dad got up at 4am every morning to take that old pickup about 50 miles into the Maine woods, he was a mechanic for Scott paper. No block heaters or engine warmers. No indoor bathroom in the house and the water pipes constantly froze.....Mom wanted NO PART of any more Maine winters so we moved back to CT.

Then, after a series of wagons with small V8s and three speeds, Dad upgraded to the 'top of the line" wagon, had a 390 and auto.....movin' on up!

OK, that's about all there is for Ford or FE related stuff. If you don't like old construction equipment you should leave now (or start typing your Nastygram if you insist on proceeding)

My Grandfather (on the right) with a couple of the fairly new Macks and a couple guys that came to work for him.

This is my Dad's A50 Mack when he went out on his own. The very first vehicle that I ever 'drove', sitting on his lap and steering:

My Dad loading trucks in the '46 or '48 Insley shovel. I only learned to run this when he converted it to a crane for his welding business. I always wanted to learn to dragline with it, I watched him dig a lot of ponds with the dragline;

And to go even MORE off-topic, my grandfather and 2 uncles bought a Vee plow with twin wings and adapted it to their Hough Payloader.
We used to get REAL snow here in the Litchfield Hills, and rarely did we get a 'snow day' from school, just chained up the school bus and we went.

I'm sitting on the hood (fuel tank) with my Elmer Fudd hat. My Uncles built a 200 gallon fuel tank into the center of the Vee so they could just raise it up and refuel the loader with a hose on the bottom of the tank.
That plow would sometimes run for days on end, opening up roads in neighboring towns.

Respond to this message   
Responses