Return to Index  

Citizen 300m professional pics and review

March 24 2005 at 8:57 AM
No score for this post
Joost Blom  (Login Joost_Blom)
from IP address 213.84.92.185

Since there was some discussion yesterday on the originality of Guido's 800m/300m Citizen diver yesterday here's a quick review of my 300m to complement my earlier posts and pictures on the 1300m and 800m.

As far as I know Citizen made their first "Professional" diver, the 1300m, in the mid eighties as a tour the force to show they could make a quartz watch with the highest depth rating in those days. These were made only a short time and are now almost impossible to find.

In the early nineties Citizen came out with the 800m and 300m versions. You will come across a handful of each on the Bay each year, but most are listed outside the USA and they are often in ratty condition. Since parts are very hard to come by it is usually not worth it to buy a non-working or incomplete watch, unless you intend to use it as a parts watch.

Both the 300m has the 5503 quartz movement with a 5 year battery life. The case is made of TIN coated titanium. The same coating can also be found on high end line guides for fishing rods and is extremely resistant against abrasion. This finish can be dented when knocked hard, but remains scratch free, giving the watch a very nice aged look over time. It is still used on the original version of the Citizen Aquamount.

The watch has the standard Citizen diver layout, with the crown positioned at 8 o'clock. On pictures the watch appears mid sized, but in fact it has a 22mm strap, and the watch is 41.5mm wide and 13mm thick. Due to the short lugs, relatively flat bottom and light weight it is very comfortable to wear and suited for smaller wrists.

The 300m DOES have the helmet case back like the 800m and later professional divers.

The bezel on the 300m is a normal, fixed design contrary to the push-and-turn locking bezel of the 800m. It clicks in 1 minute increments, and is one of the smoothest I have found on a Citizen dive watch. Thanks to the tall design and wide edges it is very easy to grab and turn even with wet hands. I wish they would bring this back on some of their newer designs.

One thing I like on this watch is the crystal with bevelled edge, which gives the watch some extra class. Mine was very scratched when the watch arrived, but somehow Citizen must have found an original in the back of a dusty drawer when it was sent in for service, and the crystal is now as good as new again.

I have now had all of the rare Citizen Professionals and they are all awesome examples of what Citizen is capable of. I think they are underrated compared to their Seiko counterparts. My only gripe: they all have a gold finished bezels, hands and hour markers. I prefer the cleaner, brighter look of the newer 1000m and 300m models, but that's just personal taste.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Watch Top 100's by Connectingwatches.com