<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Difference between Shapphire,Hardlex,Mineral crystal glass

July 2 2003 at 12:02 AM
No score for this post
  (no login)
from IP address 202.164.184.91

Hi! im a bit new here and i have no idea about watches. I do want to know what are the different types of glass used in Seiko watches. What's the difference between them. Advantages and Disadvantages of these types of glass.

Im planning to purchase my first Automatic Seiko watch and i do like the glass of it to be scratch proof.

Any Recommendations?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(no login)

Seiko glass

No score for this post
July 2 2003, 12:15 AM 

Most of Seiko's inexpensive models use Hardlex, which is their name for a couple of types of mineral glass that for all purposes is pretty easy to scratch up and hard to polish off. You just have to be careful or else learn to live with scratches on the crystal.

Higher-end Seikos use sapphire glass and these are obviously much more scratch resistant.

On some vintage Seiko dress watches you'd find the use of acrylic crystal but I don't think Seiko uses these on new watches anymore.

What kind of automatic Seiko do you plan to buy? Maybe if you give us some specific models you're interested in we'll be able to tell you what kind of glass they use.

Here's a post with lots of technical info by Mr. Tokunaga, designer of most of Seiko's professional divers, on the different types of glass used by Seiko:
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/message?forumid=78440&messageid=1037842045

Happy watch hunting!

-Kevin

(no login)

Seiko 5

No score for this post
July 2 2003, 1:33 AM 

Im planning to buy either a Seiko SNXA11K, SNZ309K or SNXE33K. They all use Mineral crystal glass. Can you tell me the durability and scratch resistant capabilities of this type of glass?

Thanks,

(no login)

Seiko 5 mineral crystals...

No score for this post
July 2 2003, 2:00 AM 

I think the mineral glass used on Seiko 5's would be fairly durable. They can last for years or decades. If you look at the tons of vintage Seikos floating around, almost all of them have still have their original crystals. But you'd also see a good amount of scratches on them. Mineral glass has a good combination of hardness, shatter resistance (they're probably not as brittle as sapphire), and heat resistance. But they're definitely not as scratch-proof as sapphire.

Again, whether you get scratches on the crystal will depend on how careful you are with your watch. If you wear it while building a back porch, you're going to get it roughed up in no time. But for normal wear around the office and the house and even for casual sports, the mineral glass should be more than OK.

If you want a Seiko with a sapphire crystal, you'd have to go for one of the higher-end models -- perhaps a kinetic, solar or quartz. Some of the more expensive models also come in titanium cases that are supposedly very scratch resistant. Or consider getting a Citizen -- many of the Eco-Drive models come with sapphire crystals and titanium cases and are reasonably priced.

If you're interesed in doing more Internet window-shopping, check some of the net dealers for the different types you can get, especially the Asia-only models. Here's a list of dealers from the FAQ:
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/message?forumid=190951&messageid=1017644478

Happy watch-hunting!

-Kevin

(no login)

seiko 5

No score for this post
July 2 2003, 2:20 AM 

Thanks a lot kevin.

But I have one more question. How often do you find a fake Seiko watch cause when i went to the mall i saw some seiko watches selling around $50 and i saw it listed at $109 from one of the internet sites? How can i differentiate a fake one from an authentic one?

Thanks again!!!

(no login)

Fake Seikos...

No score for this post
July 2 2003, 3:12 AM 

I've seen a few fake Seiko divers on the net (all of them on ebay). The net dealers, at least the popular ones (like those on the list from the FAQ) will never sell fakes. I think most of the fake Seikos are cheap Chinese imitations -- you should be able to tell just by looking at the quality of the case, dial, etc. and if there'a see-thru back, you should be able to see if the movement is Seiko or not. Of course, all this depends on how familiar you are with Seiko watches.

I would say that if you buy from a reputable dealer on the net, almost always you're going to get a better deal than a local brick-and-mortar shop, and you can be sure that the Seiko you get is authentic. I'm talking about the dealer people have bought from and trust. If in doubt about a certain net dealer, post a question here and see what people's experience are.

Different dealers will offer you a range of prices for the same model. If you check around, you will develop a good idea of how much each model sells for. But the prices can vary a lot -- a plain Seiko 5 can go for as cheap as $40 USD on ebay to $100 or so at a net dealer. Shop around and ask questions here if you need advice. That's why we're all here, so we can help each other out.

Feel free to post more questions if you have them.

-Kevin

longboarder
(no login)

seiko 5's and scratches.....

No score for this post
July 2 2003, 1:31 PM 

I purchased mine for $43 shipped. I take it off when I do work or any other scratch causing activity. I still have scratches. You cannot notice them from a distance, but they are there.

If you want no scratches, just buy 2 watches, a beater and a dress watch.

snxa07k
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2642688626&category=31387

(no login)

I don't mind scratches on my watches at all. All my watches are beaters! :-) (nt)

No score for this post
July 2 2003, 7:17 PM 

nt

John S.
(no login)

There are good and bad points with each

No score for this post
July 3 2003, 5:20 AM 

crystal material. Sapphire is very hard and very scratch resistant - but not completely scratch proof. It is also prone to shattering if struck. Sapphire crystals are "active" in the sense that they reflect and color the light. It makes for an attractive display, but sometimes the hands can be hard to see. Some makers coat sapphire to reduce its natural reflectivity.

The other materials are scratch resistant in varying degrees, but less so than sapphire. The other materials are more durable in the sense that they can flex a bit and absorb knocks and banging around.

The Tokunaga article has some excellent information.

Current Topic - Difference between Shapphire,Hardlex,Mineral crystal glass
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Watch Top 100's by Connectingwatches.com