<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Mineral vs Hardex crystal

November 2 2003 at 5:19 AM
No score for this post
  (Login ourkids)
from IP address 152.163.253.1

Interested in a Citizen or Seiko diver watch but unsure about the kind of crystal to stick with...most of the non-Seiko's have mineral crystal while the Seikos have Hardexx ?...Is there that much of a difference or concern.. I also see that the Seiko models (007's) have a changeable crystal and Bevel.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login frantium)

Hardlex

No score for this post
November 2 2003, 7:07 AM 

Hardlex is Seiko's version of mineral crystal. So there should be no or minimum difference. You can buy stock 007 crystal and bezel, or aftermarket crystal (sapphire) and bezel, these are easy to find.

reynaert

stompbox
(Login stompbox)
Approved Users

Is this correct?

No score for this post
November 2 2003, 10:58 AM 

If there's hardly any difference between mineral glass and Hardlex, then why does Seiko make this a distinction in their product line?

(Login erader)
Approved Users

correct..............

No score for this post
November 2 2003, 11:04 AM 

hardlex is seiko proprietary mineral.

ed rader

stompbox
(Login stompbox)
Approved Users

No, what I mean is there any difference between Hardlex and plain

No score for this post
November 2 2003, 12:48 PM 

old mineral glass with regards to scratching?

If not, I think it's devious marketing at best.

GMF
(Login 7s26_et_cie)

Hardlex is more scratch resistant than reg mineral

No score for this post
November 2 2003, 1:43 PM 

Hardlex (also known as Mineral-A in some markets) is Seiko's proprietary glass produced from a mixture of barium and silicon. According to Seiko, it is more scratch resistant than ordinary mineral glass, but still not as durable as Sapphire, which is 3 times as hard as Hardlex. (You practially need a diamond to scratch a sapphire crystal. A friend of mine still wears his 22-year-old Seiko Lasalle everyday, and while the case and bracelet are showing some age, the sapphire crystal is as clear as the day he bought it.)

(Login erader)
Approved Users

even i agree that hardlex is harder than regular mineral...................

No score for this post
November 2 2003, 2:31 PM 

it ain't hard enough for me.

i've handled at least a hundred used seikos with hardlex and most have had marks on the crystal and many of these watches were relatively new.

i've never seen a sapphire crystal that was scratched, though i know it happens nor have i seen a scratched sapphlex crystal...

i've heard the seiko spin on hardlex but it hasn't convinced me.

ed rader

(Login erader)
Approved Users

imo, no, and i've handled many used seikos................nt

No score for this post
November 2 2003, 2:32 PM 

aaa

ed rader
(Login erader)
Approved Users

get sapphlex or sapphire........................pic...........

No score for this post
November 2 2003, 10:10 AM 

just say no to mineral, unless you don't mind a few scratches on your crystals.

i can't stand even microscratches on a crystal unless the watch is a class A beater....i.e., my g-shock.

here are my sport watches....

the seiko diver has a sapphlex crystal and is used as a work watch. there's not even a microscratch on the sapphlex crystal, which has worn like sapphire for me.

the tudur has a thick acrylic crystal that is easily buffed and the citizen is sapphire.

ed rader

jayhawk
(Login jgauch)
Approved Users

All three are great looking watches. I am wearing my Citizen

No score for this post
November 2 2003, 11:14 AM 

just like yours and I love the sapphire too. The
duratect is like a scratch repeller -- the bracelet
is almost in mint condition after months of use.
John.

Current Topic - Mineral vs Hardex crystal
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Watch Top 100's by Connectingwatches.com