<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

The Marine Master Myth is Dead! Dead! Dead!

June 21 2007 at 10:09 AM
No score for this post

Bongo  (Login velzyland)
from IP address 71.141.77.54

I have read ALL the old threads.ALL the threads. Going back several years.

Including the one by ttsugar, and the one on the other
forum as well as many many others.

I have asked for people to step forward with evidence of
the threads on the MM STRIPPING! None have.

No one has verified STRIPPED threads on the Marine Master!

The verdict: Marine Master found Not Guilty of being more prone to thread stripping!

There are case where owners FELT the threads to have something wrong.There have been complaints about the feel of the crown threads. This is feeling, not fact.

The Marine Master may have grindy FEELING threads.
The Marine Master may have fine threads.

The Marine Master is a unique watch. As far as I know it is alone in having a SS Monocoque case, with a 300m rating and an automatic mechanical movement which hacks and handwinds. It has integrated threads within the case.

The combination of these features MAY cause the crown to have a feeling unlike other watches.

Reports from owners state between 1 - 2 full turns required for screwing in the crown. The average is 1.5 turns. This seemed also to be the most objectively measured amount.
If your MM is the same or similar it is NORMAL.

Is it more fragile? That statement is inconclusive.

All the cases and statements of the MM being prone to stripping are insubstantiated, propaganda slander and heresay.

A different feeling to the threads is not a sign of weakness or necessarily a design flaw.

There is no need to be put of because of the "crown issue" with this watch...there is no issue. There may be a different feel to the crown. If you do not like this FEEL, there are many willing to buy your watch from you, even with full disclosure of the FEEL of the threads.

This grindy feel is not endemic. The large majority of MM owners have no complaints. Or they lube their threads, or they take care and back thread.

A minority of owners feel no change with the lube and still get a "wrong" feeling back threading. The only way to really cure this is to send the watch in.

At one time it appeared the only way to change the feel of the integrated threads was to have the case replaced. This is no longer the case, other owners have been told by Seiko the case does not need to be replaced to change the feel of threads. A bona fide case of thread stripping may or may not require a new case, that situation is yet to be defined.

It is not an automatic $1,200 case replacement outside of warranty to change the feeling of the threads at Seiko in Japan.

I continue the challenge, bring me an example where the thread have been undeniably STRIPPED on the Marine Master. Show me a work order, a warranty slip where the problem states stripped threads. Show it to me in English or Japanese.

Until then, you will be asked to stop perpetuating the MYTH!
You will be asked to use the SEARCH ENGINE, you will be given links to this and my other thread below.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/78440/message/1182359457/MM+Mythbusting%21+To+strip+or+not+to+strip%21>

And we may call you a paranoid pansy!

THE MARINE MASTER MYTH IS DEAD!

This message has been edited by velzyland from IP address 71.141.77.54 on Jun 21, 2007 12:37 PM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Isthmus
(Login Isthmus)
Approved Users

You Paranoid Pansy...;o)

No score for this post
June 21 2007, 10:16 AM 

Thanks for all the effort Bongo. I hope this clears up any on-going misgivings anyone might have.

BTW, can you post links to all the threads you have collected in this thread, so that we can direct people to them the next time this comes up? Thanks again man.

GO HOKIES

Bongo
(Login velzyland)

Isthmus, I edited my post above

No score for this post
June 21 2007, 10:29 AM 

and included the link to the thread below..
That thread has quite a few links.

George Novak
(Login silvertank)
Approved Users

Good Job!

No score for this post
June 21 2007, 10:19 AM 

Thanks for all the work Mr Bongo!

Too bad I still can't afford one

squamish5
(Login squamish5)
Approved Users

Sounds to me like you are justifing your next purchase ;-)

No score for this post
June 21 2007, 10:22 AM 

Hey Bongo?

Bongo
(Login velzyland)

Marine Master...Too heavy for Surfing!

No score for this post
June 21 2007, 10:31 AM 

A real design flaw..
At least that is what Huiguchi Katsu told me,
interestingly enough Kats-san is a surfer!

Randy M.
(Login isupsyclone)
Approved Users

Maybe this should be posted to the FAQ section>>>

No score for this post
June 21 2007, 10:22 AM 

Since this subject invariably pops up from time to time, it might be a good idea to post it in the FAQ and update it if any new evidence is submitted.

RWM

MISTER BLACK
(Login MISTER_BLACK)

I suspect its soap residue.

No score for this post
June 21 2007, 10:32 AM 

I wash my Marine Master daily. When it's dry, sometimes there is a slight resistance when I rotate the bezel or screw the crown.

When this happens, I rotate the bezel in running water and its smooth like brand new again. I can only draw the conclusion that it is the soap residue that's giving the resistance during rotation.

At this point, when it's dry again, the bezel rotates smoothly.

Unfortunately, I can't do the same with the crown in running water. However, I do notice tiny white residue on the threads. This occurs for my Submariner as well. I am quite certain that it's soap residue causing the resistance.

Seikojohn
(Login Seikojohn)
Approved Users

I don't think you can support the statement that nobody has stripped the threads.

No score for this post
June 21 2007, 11:01 AM 

At most you can say none of the particpnats on this forum who own MarineMasters have comeforward to say so. There are far more owners of MM's than on thos on this forum.

Bongo
(Login velzyland)

You are correct and I have modified the post..

No score for this post
June 21 2007, 11:04 AM 

It now reads no one has Verified stripped threads.
Thank you.

ead
(Login eadt)

Silly topic

No score for this post
June 21 2007, 11:31 AM 

I think the MM 300 is one great watch!
Saying it got this or that, well maybe people just want us to believe it isn't a good one
I think Seiko would have long time ago take if off the shelfs if it has faults
Any way - I love the design of the case, it is one of the most distinctive one out there!

NorbertusSC
(Login NorbertusSC)

Yeah, it's dead...

No score for this post
June 21 2007, 12:15 PM 

I don't care. MM's still very nice. Wine, wine. Still haven't one.

poywatch
(Login poywatch)

If any of you guys are unhappy with your threads, I will buy your MM for $495. nt

No score for this post
June 21 2007, 1:29 PM 

Ben Shilled(-42)
(Login BenShilled)

LOL! ... shouldn't this be in the 'Got Lucky' thread eblow? ;>) nt

No score for this post
June 21 2007, 1:38 PM 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take a big breath...and hold it

poywatch
(Login poywatch)

Don't rain on my parade you rascal. nt

No score for this post
June 21 2007, 6:59 PM 

poywatch
(Login poywatch)

O.K.,O.K.,Ben Shilled has shamed me. I'll go $595! But that's my limit on these defective

No score for this post
June 21 2007, 7:10 PM 

watches!!!!

rhaire
(Login rnhrnh1)
Approved Users

Good job!

No score for this post
June 21 2007, 3:36 PM 

I watched this whole "defect" story spring to life ansd watched as the careless misinterpretations built it into a psuedo-reality. It was a facinating study in rumor growth, but as frastrating as it was, I did not have the patience to deal with it as you did. Great job tackling this mess, and thanks.

Kevin Mc
(Login kmcnyc)
Approved Users

Bongo try to see one locally... or come to NYC you can see mine and we can roll some Judo

No score for this post
June 21 2007, 3:51 PM 

(That was you who played Judo right??)

see who has one Local to you , im sure somone is close by.
Your on the left coast?? Nor-cal?
see who is close, I can think of a few people might be worth the drive.

or ome to NYC and you can see mine...
and we can roll some Judo if you want....(im rusty)

KSeiya San also played Judo, I want to say Katsu did as well.

anyway just go buy one already...

kmc

Lets all thank Kevin Chan and Larry Biggs, and Use the Search tool.

Bongo
(Login velzyland)

Kevin, the Marine master is way too heavy for Judo!

No score for this post
June 21 2007, 4:08 PM 

Yeah I live in SF and do Judo. I am waiting for the next
WIS meeting here.
I don't know about Katsu and Judo though. I was living
in Hawaii when I met him, so we talked about surfing.
Course lot's of japanese do sports in High School, he seems
more like a baseball guy, but you never know.

Kevin Mc
(Login kmcnyc)
Approved Users

The MM is Far to heavy for Judo...

No score for this post
June 21 2007, 4:15 PM 

That was Good.
I live in NYC and do some Judo, not as much as I used to.
( I went a little nuts with it)
Katsu may have done it in HS, KSeiya and others have told me it is almost mandatory.
but I think baseball and surfing would go well together.

I used to go to a very good club here the Oishi Judo Club.
he is relaxed but very traditional. Does not like the blue-gi
and we joke about having only two belts.
white and when youv'e been there a while they get dark.

KMc

Lets all thank Kevin Chan and Larry Biggs, and Use the Search tool.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Watch Top 100's by Connectingwatches.com