<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Seiko 5m42 capacitor

July 15 2008 at 10:27 AM
No score for this post
  (Login citiko)
from IP address 90.209.96.129

I have a 1997 Seiko Arctura. I have worn this watch for about a week solid at the most so it is as new. I know it is a model 97 by the serial number starting with a 7. The same model as the one in this link with 5m42-0E30 on the rear.

http://www.larrybiggs.net/scwf/index.php?mod=103&action=0&id=1144008730

I recenlty wore it over two days, about 10 hours at the most and it works perfectly. I am letting it run down now but has still not stopped after 4 days. Therefore, I have no concern with the capacitor just now. I am quite happy with it running flat as it means the watch is rested when not in use.

I know the replacement for the Capacitor is 30235 MZ.

My question is, will I need one. Will the capcitor die off only if used a lot or can it fail even when not in use. I do not intend to use the watch a lot as it is more of a collection item for me now.

I have seen the comments on another site stating_

"Finally a valuable hint, all we can say so far is, that 5M42-OA28 is likely to have faulty capacitors and that those faulty capacitors were used during April/May 1995
Interesting also that the original old capacitors were made by SEIKO Instruments Incorporation (SII) and bore the number SL920. The replacement capacitors in the kit 30235MZ purchased in 2006 contained Maxell TC920S Li-ion capacitors"

From this I would take it my watch could have a better capacitor in it but is there anyway way of knowing withiout taking it apart?

Any info appreciated

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login Isthmus)

I'm pretty sure that's a Maxell TC920S Li-ion BATTERY...

No score for this post
July 15 2008, 10:45 AM 

To the best of my knowledge kinetics no longer use capacitors (and haven't for a long time). I've heard recent rumors of seiko having solved the capacitor problems from their original Kinetics and reintroducing them in some models. but I think it's just that, rumors, as I have seen no confirmation of this.

"People are entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."

GO HOKIES

Dave
(Login citiko)

TC920s is the one

No score for this post
July 15 2008, 11:22 AM 

Yes, that is the new battery they use. Because I have not used the watch much I do not know what is in it. If fully charged with the old cap sl920, it would be about 14 days. The battery you mention lasts months when charged.

(Login petjag)
Approved Users

920 is the capacitor, + side down

No score for this post
July 15 2008, 12:05 PM 

Greg F Benjock petjag@aol.com

(Login Isthmus)

I'm prety sure that's not the case...

No score for this post
July 15 2008, 12:48 PM 

The original capacitor was seiko part number 3023-44Z TC920S. The Maxell TC920S that replaced seiko's faulty capacitor, is a rechargeable Li-ion battery.

You can read more about it here:

http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_3023-44Z.htm

"People are entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."

GO HOKIES

(Login liklort)

The capacitor was model SL920 and replaced with battery TC920S :>) nt

No score for this post
July 15 2008, 9:31 PM 

(Login thianwong)
Approved Users

I had a Seiko SUS with the 5M42 faulty version.and a

Score 3.0 (1 person)
July 15 2008, 4:32 PM 

Sport 200m kinetic 1996 with faulty one. The Sport model was sent into Seiko Osaka and cost $120 to replace with newer 4-6 month capacitor.
On the other hand, my friend in Vancouver just sourced 3 newer capacitors from BOREL and will install them in faulty 2 SUS 5m42 models.
I would just wear yours and see if it holds a charge for your short term wearing times. If after shaking the watch for a few minutes and if the seconds hand stops when you stop shaking it, the capacitor is dead and not holding its charging. If you shake it back and forth for a few minutes and the second hand continues to tick over when you stop shaking, even with 2 second increments (telling you the reserve is under 2 hours left), then the 5M42 is still good. This has been my experience....

(Login zzami)
Approved Users

Do you have a photo of your Arctura?

Score 4.0 (1 person)
July 16 2008, 8:16 AM 

Hi Dave,

As far as I know, the Arctura lineup wasn't introduced until 2002-2003. It debuted with the SNL001P 7L22 Kinetic chronograph model. I might be mistaken though.

The early capacitors had a design fault and many tended to leak. Starting from the 5M6x caliber onwards, all Kinetics are fitted with the Maxell LiOn cell.

This article on Kinetics may interest you: http://quartzimodo.info/articles/the-seiko-kinetic-boon-or-bane/

Hope this helps.

cheers,

StratMan

It's your watch watch collection that tells most about who you are.

(Login citiko)

Here is a pic of mine

No score for this post
July 16 2008, 11:12 AM 

Hi StratMan,

Thanks for the link, it was helpful. I reckon that my watch will most likely have the SL920 capacitor. Just now I am Ok with that since it seems perfectly fine when it is left unlike the replacement which needs a charge at all times to avoid it going bad. I do not want to run this watch all the time and as suggested above, if I move it side to side for a while, it certainly keeps going. I just hope the SL920 does not leak.

As you can see, I have the small tag which came with it, shows Arctura. Also have the box etc. As I said like new.

I have just bought the Skyhawk AT Titanium, I am using it as a day to day watch otherwise that will become a "collectors" piece as well! That is how I discovered this site.

Thanks again

Dave..

(Login zzami)
Approved Users

Thanks very much for the photo..........>>>

No score for this post
July 16 2008, 12:06 PM 

Hi Dave,

I stand corrected - indeed, yours is an early Arctura Kinetic model. If you had your capacitor changed to the LiOn cells, you have a bigger power reserve.

I think in the early days, Seiko didn't print "Arctura" on the dials like they do now. Perhaps the debut of the SNL001P Arctura marked their rebranding exercise of the Arctura lineup.

The Skyhawk AT is one of my desirable timepieces but it's a bit pricey for me. Yes, probably by 2020 your Skyhawk will be inducted into the Citizen Hall of Fame!

cheers,

StratMan

It's your watch watch collection that tells most about who you are.

Dave
(Login citiko)

You are welcome.

No score for this post
July 16 2008, 12:26 PM 

No problem at all re the pic. The watch is not back in it's box for good while.

Dave..

Anonymous
(Login zulu76)

Broken Arctura Kinetic

No score for this post
November 4 2008, 12:41 PM 

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your photo, I have been looking for the full model name of my watch that I have had for 8 years now. I have the exact same model as the one in your picture and have worn this watch every day for the last 8 years!! I love this watch and it is the only watch I wear. I have had no problems with capacitors, wrist straps, etc until today when a faulty elevator door closed on my arm and broke the face! I am trying to get info on the watch to give to the local dealer in order to replace the glass. Any advice or tips on where to go?

Thanks

Neil

Current Topic - Seiko 5m42 capacitor
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Watch Top 100's by Connectingwatches.com