<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

I Screwed Up....

April 17 2009 at 3:16 PM
No score for this post

Pepsidiver  (Login Pepsidiver)
from IP address 76.67.110.72

I just got some 22mm Tubes for the lugs on my Hamiltons. You put the Spring-Bars through the Tubes and then put the strap on. Now the problem is, that since the Tubes are 22mm I was able to put the strap on with the Spring-Bars through the tubes, but there is now no room to remove the strap, as I can't get a Spring-Bar tool into the lugs where the Tubes are.

Any suggestions?

Todd.

[linked image]

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room." President Merkin Muffley

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Jason Medina
(Login foolintherayn)
Approved Users

Cut (Yikes!)

No score for this post
April 17 2009, 3:21 PM 

Hello,

Gosh.. What a pickle eh? The only thing I can think of would ruin whatever strap you have on your watch. I guess unless someone else mentions a better suggestion I would cut the strap/tubes/spring bars right in the middle with some heavy duty cutters but be careful not to hurt the watch case. Yikes huh? Good luck and let us know what you come up with and decide on.

Jason

Pepsidiver
(Login Pepsidiver)

Ah Crap....

No score for this post
April 17 2009, 3:29 PM 

I guess I could cut the Tubes, that's not a problem as they are inexpensive, but they are 316L Stainless, so it may be hard to cut, what do you think?. But I don't want to cut the strap.

Todd.

[linked image]

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room." President Merkin Muffley

Myles
(Login Selym)
Approved Users

No problem.

No score for this post
April 17 2009, 3:38 PM 

Believe me, those tubes will be no match for a decent diagonal-cutting pliers!

[linked image]

Pepsidiver
(Login Pepsidiver)

Sounds good...

No score for this post
April 17 2009, 3:40 PM 

I have those. I will begin to cut. LOL!

Todd.

[linked image]

Myles
(Login Selym)
Approved Users

Ask me how I know.

No score for this post
April 17 2009, 3:43 PM 

I once put 20mm fat bars on a 6105-8110. They go in fine, but they won't come out (not without the Klein "spring bar" tool, anyway).

Good luck!
Myles

Tim
(Login 84Maroon)
Approved Users

This is why mine will forever have a Tropic strap on it....lol

No score for this post
April 17 2009, 3:51 PM 

Myles
(Login Selym)
Approved Users

Added security!

No score for this post
April 17 2009, 3:54 PM 

It's almost like having fixed bars, yet you aren't restricted to using one-piece straps. Mind sharing your tropic strap source?

Myles

Tim
(Login 84Maroon)
Approved Users

A forum member here has them on eBay (Squinky).....

No score for this post
April 17 2009, 4:06 PM 

I am happy with it, although it does not have a signed buckle.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Kevin Mc
(Login kmcnyc)
Approved Users

Klein spring bar tool that is awesome

No score for this post
April 17 2009, 3:56 PM 

for the non US residents Klein makes the best electrical hand tools.

kmc

Lets all thank Kevin Chan and Larry Biggs, and Use the Search tool.

Myles
(Login Selym)
Approved Users

But wait, that's not all...

No score for this post
April 17 2009, 3:58 PM 

It doubles as a balance-wheel poising tool. Just nip off the heavy spots!

Toki
(Login TOKI188)
Approved Users

Re: I Screwed Up....

No score for this post
April 17 2009, 3:22 PM 

Clip it.

I recieved a 6105 w/ a springbar that could not come out, had to cut it.

Arthur

Jeff C
(Login jeffc67)
Approved Users

Maybe not the cut...

No score for this post
April 17 2009, 3:48 PM 

I had an Italian chrono where I mashed up the springbar through the little notch in the bracelet then couldn't get it off.

Couldn't cut it, either!

I put a screwdriver between the bracelet and the case and torqued it. The springbar bent at the lug and the whole thing popped out.

You'll want to protect the screwdriver with tape or something, but you may be able to wreck the springbar but save the tube and strap.

There is some risk of scratching the case, but some care and maybe some protection between the case and screwdriver will help.

If it's a super-fancy watch, you may elect to cut the strap instead of take the risk.

Bonne chance, amigo!

Cheers - Jeff

swedefreak
(Login swedefreak)
Approved Users

Jeff has th answer.....

No score for this post
April 17 2009, 4:01 PM 

.....to remove the mistake.

You might try cutting a notch on one side of eachtube just big enough for your springbar tool. You keep the advantage of the tube and he notch will hide inside the strap until you want to make a change.

DSCN0821b.jpg
Standing tall, by the side of the road, I fell in love with the beautiful highway.

Pepsidiver
(Login Pepsidiver)

Great idea....

No score for this post
April 17 2009, 4:14 PM 

I will do that next time, BEFORE I put the strap on. LOL!

Thanks for all your help guys.

Todd.

[linked image]

GarageBoy
(Login GarageBoy)
Approved Users

Re: I Screwed Up....

No score for this post
April 17 2009, 4:35 PM 

What are these tubes and what are they used for?

dennis lacey
(Login dennis3506)
Approved Users

I was going to try this bracelet on another watch, but...

No score for this post
April 17 2009, 9:44 PM 

unless it had drilled lugs I would never have been able to take it off. No slots to access the springbars on this.
[linked image]
[linked image]

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Watch Top 100's by Connectingwatches.com