<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

My 2 year old OS 300 is running at...

April 1 2010 at 2:50 AM
No score for this post
etienne  (Login buddy13)
Approved Users
from IP address 193.188.47.23

-9 seconds/day...it bugs me a bit that a watch runs slow...would you open it and regulate it? I know I am capable of doing that..but do you think it's waterproofness would in anyway be compromised (I can do a vacuum pressure test) and worse yet do you think that air high in moisture (high humidity in Malta) might be closed in the case...?

What do you think should I resist the temptation happy.gif..?

When men build lives from honest toil...courage never fails

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

nhoJ
(Login nhoJR)
Approved Users

Personally

No score for this post
April 1 2010, 4:25 AM 

I'd give it a go and to justify it I'd put some silicone on the caseback gasket while it is open.

For the humidity is there a time of year when it isn't so humid? How about an air conditioned room? Maybe some folks from similar regions have better suggestions.

This message has been edited by nhoJR from IP address 74.102.31.174 on Apr 1, 2010 4:26 AM

etienne
(Login buddy13)
Approved Users

Yeah that's what I thought...

No score for this post
April 1 2010, 5:19 AM 

after regulation I will just close a room with a dehumdifier in it...and after say 30 mins I would seal the watch after putting some silicon grease on the gasket...then on to the vacuum tester...

I will let you know how all this goes wink.gif...

This message has been edited by buddy13 from IP address 88.203.79.213 on Apr 1, 2010 5:19 AM

Myles
(Login Selym)
Approved Users

Timing Machine for "Health" Check

No score for this post
April 1 2010, 7:23 AM 

Etienne,

Do you have access to a timing machine? If so, you can see if the amplitude is acceptable and if the escapement is in beat. It will also make your rate adjustment far simpler.

Best,
Myles

etienne
(Login buddy13)
Approved Users

Myles...I know what you mean..

No score for this post
April 1 2010, 7:32 AM 

Checking if amplitude is above a certain threshold and checking for beat error will definitely help but at my watchmaker you still have to remove the caseback to do this (especially on divers with thick casebaacks like the OS happy.gif) so I will try it on a hit or miss method first then check it on the timing machine when I go to do the vacuum test wink.gif...at least that's what I thought..

I will adjust slightly once per day then time it to a datum to check what is the daily rate...

Myles
(Login Selym)
Approved Users

delicate operation

No score for this post
April 1 2010, 7:36 AM 

Etienne,

If the Orient escapement is anything like that of the Seiko 7S[23][56] family, it will be difficult to change the rate by 9 s/d without the aid of a timing machine. In other words, if you see the regulator move, you've moved it too much. happy.gif

Best of luck,
Myles

etienne
(Login buddy13)
Approved Users

you're right....

No score for this post
April 1 2010, 8:00 AM 

I managed to regulate my Sumo (6R15) to within 3 seconds/day on the wrist (it would vary with different positions of course it is no 8L35 happy.gif) but it was a slow painstaking process..

Geran
(Login geran)
Approved Users

if you see the regulator move, you've moved it too much.

No score for this post
April 1 2010, 9:39 AM 

LoL that is so true.

Is this my Signature?

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Watch Top 100's by Connectingwatches.com