<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

The new site's use of the Imperial War flag

April 3 2010 at 9:42 AM
Score 5.0 (1 person)

TKTM  (Login tktm)
from IP address 70.240.7.228

Did the new site's use of the Japanese Imperial War flag jump out at any one else?

logo.png

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Russ Murray - Moderator
(Login Russie)
Approved Users

Others may have noticed, notably on PMWF and granted, it could be the topic of

Score 2.0 (1 person)
April 3 2010, 10:35 AM 

discussion on the new site.

http://www.pmwf.com/Phorum/read.php?4,193335,193548#msg-193548

Without getting into a whole political debate, one could argue that "other" countries have flown unadulterated flags during times of conflict. Bear in mind this is an international forum, so if there are some sensitivities that need to be addressed, we will do so.

Russ
[linked image]

TKTM
(Login tktm)

Just as long as someone gave it thought

No score for this post
April 3 2010, 11:03 AM 

Just giving a heads up, to make sure that it wasn't an oversight.
I would be sort of surprised if Seiko / Citizen corporate did not send an email.
It is a historical thing, I can look at it that way.
If it does cause sensitivities you could always consider switching to the curent Navy Ensign which is slightly off center.

100px-Naval_Ensign_of_Japan.svg.png

All the politics aside, from a TKTM's purely aesthetic view, Hokusai fractal wave would be better offset by using the red rubber ball for the sun

Russ Murray - Moderator
(Login Russie)
Approved Users

I love that song! nt

No score for this post
April 3 2010, 11:33 AM 

nt

Russ
[linked image]

Thian
(Login thianwong)
Approved Users

last year while looking for a Japanese flag for one of my

No score for this post
April 3 2010, 12:46 PM 

images, I did run across the history of the Japanese flag color and design and read/saw the various wartime designs. To me, a 61 year old Chinese Canadian who now lives in Japan, I doubt very much if any of the SCWF members ever knew that the Rising Sun used in the header was Japan's Naval flag.

Heck, most members who have used the word 'Jap watch...for sale' have no idea of its wartime derogatory origins! Isthmus had spotted this once and had asked posters to be a bit more mindful in the future and sensitive to SCWF's international viewers.

My 53 year old Japanese wife has no idea of the word JAP's overseas wartime meaning! hahaha! (of course, those Japanese Canadian and American citizens interred in POW camps would).
Still, I think it is a 'Non-issue'.

Ken
(Login kenkidw)
Approved Users

I agree with you thian. I also have no problems with the use of that flag

No score for this post
April 3 2010, 1:13 PM 

Im a huge history buff. I love all that stuff

Thian
(Login thianwong)
Approved Users

Well, Living here now for 7 years has been very eye opening....

No score for this post
April 3 2010, 1:30 PM 

for instance, I once saw the 'reverse Swatika image' on the frieze of an old Buddhist temple/shrine and that turned my head! I am a German Major from a Canadian university, and lover of old war movies and have studied world religions. Hitler (or whoever had chosen the Swatiska image) reversed the original ancient Sanskrit image and thus, the religious 'Hakenkreuz' of Nazi Germany was not the original one!

Norman
(Login normdiaz)
Approved Users

For that dying breed

No score for this post
April 3 2010, 1:33 PM 

called WWII vets who served in the Pacific theatre, I could understand that flag image might reasonably bring back unpleasant memories. But then you can't please (or fool) "all of the people all of the time". JMHO.

"Motivation is simple. You eliminate those who are not motivated." -- Lou Holtz

Thian
(Login thianwong)
Approved Users

Japan doesn' t have government holiday celebrating its war vets...

Score 5.0 (1 person)
April 3 2010, 2:11 PM 

for obvious reasons IMO....but the West does in for instance Remembrance Day..'Lest We Forget'...
Generations come and go...

Charles Smith
(Login chass1949)

Take a Look at History

Score 1.0 (1 person)
April 3 2010, 3:28 PM 

I'm done with the forum. I saw what the Japanese did to their Chinese, Filipino, and American POW's. Take a look at the pictures, read the history. The raped women, the starved, tortured, and beheaded POWs. And Japan has yet to acknowledge it's war crimes. Have fun with your watches.

Ancre-Steam
(Login Ancre-Steam)
Approved Users

How convenient that you overlook a nation that ...

Score 5.0 (1 person)
April 3 2010, 4:09 PM 

dropped two nuclear bombs on a country that had already lost the war.

How convenient of you to overlook the current US treatment of POWs and those kept at Guantanamo Bay without any due process of law.

I haven't seen the US apologize for it's unwarranted invasion of Iraq either, so let's not be so sanctimonious.

The SCWF banner isn't and wasn't intended to portray any political or historical agendas. The inclusion of an old Japanese flag is no more offensive than the wave picture from a famous Japanese wood burning.

...but then there will always be those looking to find something wrong with everything that comes along sad.gif

What a sad way to live ones life.

------------------------------------------

[linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image]

Mike
(Login mmounce)
Approved Users

They had already lost the war? You neglected to tell them that.(nt)

No score for this post
April 3 2010, 4:26 PM 

nt

SCWF Moderator
(Login SCWFModerator)

You've only been here a few weeks. I assure you that

Score 5.0 (1 person)
April 3 2010, 6:04 PM 

you won't be missed.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Watch Top 100's by Connectingwatches.com