Home > Discussion Groups > Dioramas

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=78970&messageid=1113823195
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Return to Index  

A possibility

December 12 2002 at 4:12 PM
Tony Jesson  (Login TJ_au)
from IP address 144.139.121.180

Response to How to make parched desert soil?

Gday,

I was pratting about recently trying to make a realistic looking bomb crater. On one I had a bit of an unexpected result that may be of some use to you.

I was shaping the craters out of a wet sand / white glue mixture. I let that set 90% of the way they sprinkled on a thick layer of bentonite ( almost the same as cat litter thats been pestle and mortared ). Waited a couple of hours and then shook it out gently. There was still a lot of powder but it looked good so I airbrushed a very thin water, white glue and brown gauche over the whole thing. I left that to set and when I came back it had completely crazed looked absolutely spot on for a dried up desert crater. The crazing had even taken the shapes from the crater walls. Now I screwed up at this point and decided to try a dry brush of a sandy colour over it. Sadly the gauche in the mixture wasn't fully set and I ended up with a mess on my hands :P. Now if I'd left it to dry for another day and then sealed it with either glue or a varnish I think it could have taken the dry brush.

I reckon that what happened was that the water was bieng absorbed into the powder causing it to clump and the white glue and gauche were "skinning" the way tube acryllics do.

HTH

Tony

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Thanks! - Brad Thompson on Dec 13, 2002, 10:35 AM

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse