Home > Discussion Groups > Dioramas

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=78970&messageid=1113823195
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Return to Index  

I do it like this.

July 13 2003 at 2:04 AM
  (no login)
from IP address 217.215.36.254

Response to What do I use to make dio landscape?

First a build up the form of the landscape roughly with styrofoam. This I glue to the base using white glue. Also using white glue when layering the styrofoam. Which sometimes needed.

Next I cover the styrofoam with plaster bandage with two layers smothing the surface with my finger while its still wet to avoid having the netpattern show. Its easy if your cut the plaster bandage with a scissor into credit card size pieces and apply them like patches. Leave it to dry over night.

At this stage you may choose what material to use. You can put on a thin layer of Cellyclay, plaster or spackle, clay etc of your choice. Perhaps only put on white glue and sprinkle sand, rock, plaster etc over it, depending on what scene your creationg and what you like to work with.

This method is cheap and makes the diorama light. It also speeds up the drying time as there are no build ups of thick layers. Espially when using clays that could be very expensive.

Also have in mind if youre going to have a tank in a type of material that shrinks a bit when drying, like Celluclay, cover the tracks with clingfilm and dont remove it before its completly dry. Its also good to wiggle on it now and then if you like to be able to remove it afterwards.

The best thing in my opinion is to finnish the tank more or less. Then colour the groundmaterial and let the groundmaterial glue the tank to the base.

Hope this helps.

Janne Nilsson
IPMS-Stockholm

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Nillson - Matt Carlson on Jul 13, 2:18 PM
    1. Youre welcome, just... - Janne Nilsson on Jul 13, 2:59 PM
      1. Imsorta new only second dio - Matt Carlson on Jul 13, 10:10 PM
        1. Your welcome too Matt,,,,,,, - brent koller on Jul 14, 7:03 AM
          1. Kinda harsh.... - Mike Broom on Jul 14, 8:24 PM
            1. Not the place for this Mike,,,, - brent koller on Jul 16, 8:26 AM
              1. too harsh agreement - jack fisher on Jul 16, 8:40 PM

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse