Home > Discussion Groups > Dioramas

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=78970&messageid=1113823195
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

drywall, grout and other household stuff

May 24 2002 at 1:08 PM
  (no login)
from IP address 142.32.208.233

has anyone used the gypsum from drywall, or dywall mud, or grout, or mortar or stucco patch in their dios. I have leftovers from household projects and was thinking of using them for a dio.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(no login)

household items

May 24 2002, 1:25 PM 

"Liquid Nails" make excellent zimmerit. It doesn't
'pull' away from the plastic, and has a long 'working'
time...it's cheap too.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

RE: Household Items

May 24 2002, 2:03 PM 

I use drywall mud all the time. Spread thinly over celluclay or on any type of cardstock or plywood. It also takes acrylic and/or tempra paint well for precolored groundwork. It can be carved easily with a sharp tool. Just be careful not to apply to thickly as it will crack as it drys.
Try this... mix a small batch of Drywall mud with a concrete acrylic color and spread it on a sheet of wax paper. When dry, break it into a million pieces of pre colored rubble/debri
Charles

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Grout is exceptionally versatile

May 26 2002, 2:32 AM 

It comes in a myriad of earth tones and can be used dry (like pastels) or mixed. probably the best ground work I have ever used. Its cheap too @ $10 Aus for 2kg.
Cheers
Al

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Grout.

May 27 2002, 6:02 PM 

G'day Al,

Great idea mate; why didn't I think of that? I am about to do some groundwork for my latest dio so I think it's off to Kmart for some grout. Thanks mate.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

grout

May 30 2002, 9:34 PM 

a warning about grout from a tiler and modeller -its makes the dio bloody heavy and it tends to crack around the picture frame base-grout doesn't do to well next to any wood which contracts and expands over the years

Respond to this message   

(Login abcovey)
Missing-Lynx members

Try new Ultralight Spackle

May 31 2002, 1:55 PM 

I don't have a brand-name handy, but any of the stuff that's listed as lightweight, non cracking/shrinking, and latex-based is too cool! You can mix in any of your favorites (sand, pebbles, etc.) and also pre-color it if you like. And, it takes paint and glue well, too, and also can be scuplted or have footprints/track or wheel marks pushed in before it dries. And that's the best part. It dries in a jiffy, and can be speed-dried like acrylic paint, with a hair dryer or a fan! I love it!

Respond to this message   

(no login)

The coolest!

May 31 2002, 2:41 PM 

I use this stuff, too. It is called "One-Time" where I buy it and looks like white cake frosting. Really neat stuff! And I have never had it crack yet no matter how thick of a layer I place (Though only up to 1/2" so far).

I am wondering how long before someone comes out with the stuff as model groudwork material, at 4 times the cost.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - drywall, grout and other household stuff
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse