Home > Discussion Groups > Dioramas

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=78970&messageid=1113823195
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Aerial Identification Panels

May 31 2002 at 4:09 PM
  (no login)
from IP address 68.81.58.248

Maybe one of you can help me (I hope).

I recently read a post about adding an element of color to dioramas to offset and stand out from the earth tones. I'm currently working on a diorama to portray an M4A3 Sherman 105mm during the battle of the bulge. My diorama idea involves a lot of whites, drabs, and other earthtones- but I think an aerial identification panel might be the way to set off a little color.

So, my question is: I understand that allied afv's used orange tarps to identify themselves to aircraft. What shade of orange should this be? What size should it be in 1/35 scale? Should it be stained and dirty or were they generally pretty vibrant orange? Were they commonly used on Shermans?

I guess I've got more than one question... please bear with me, I'm a NEWBIE!!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Greg H
(no login)

Air recognition panels

May 31 2002, 10:48 PM 

Jamie,

The air recognition panels are 12ft x 2.5ft.(105mm x 22mm) The panels actually came in several colors; fluorescent blue, fluorescent orange, fluorescent red and fluorescent yellow. [Which can be purchased from Archer Fine Transfers (http://www.archertransfers.com/USAFVcatalog.html)]

From talking with a friend who was a gunner in a 105 Sherman (1011/C Company), I was lead to believe that they had the thing rolled up on the engine deck & never used it, from there arrival in Cherbourg (Sept 44) `til the end of the war. He also advised me that that 1011 assigned 1 - 105mm Sherman(M4A3) to each Co HQ for support.

Front stowage was kept to a minimum due to the muzzle blast would puncture c-rat cans! He also stated that the carrying of fuel cans was non-existant (in his battalion, at least), a 6x6, fully loaded with 5gal cans, would bring fuel to them at dusk.

hth,

Greg Harting
pyrman NO@SPAM aolDOTcom

Respond to this message   
Greg H
(no login)

follow-up info

May 31 2002, 10:52 PM 

Geez!

"105 Sherman (1011/C Company)" should have read as "105 Sherman (10delta11delta/C Company)..."

Also, the color used by 11Tank Bn was flourescent red.

hth,
Greg Harting
pyrman NO@SPAM aolDOTcom

Respond to this message   
Jamie Walton
(no login)

Thanks, Greg!! (N/T)

June 2 2002, 6:31 AM 

Respond to this message   
Jamie Walton
(no login)

One more question...

June 2 2002, 6:00 PM 

Thanks for the GREAT information! So, I take it I should nix the oil cans (maybe I'll throw one or two on the engine deck)and maybe show a flourescent orange (dirty) panel rolled up on the engine deck.

Anyway...the question. Does your friend know if the 105's were ever used in an offensive stature? Maybe assault support?

This is kinda paramount to my entire dio idea...

Respond to this message   
Greg H
(no login)

Better late than never...

June 9 2002, 8:57 PM 

Jamie,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I spoke with Jim & he says that the 105 Shermans were not used for tank v. tank fighting, just as support. So, in a nutshell, the answer is yes, they were used as assault support. The 105 Shermans were used to open up anything the 75's couldn't.

hth,

Greg HArting
pyrman NO@SPAM aol.com

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Identification panels

June 7 2002, 6:03 AM 

Hi Jamie,
There is also the recent MilMod article Steve Zaloga has done with the M8 armoured car .
He has also researched the identification panels as well .It's pretty helpful info for late war U.S Armour.
Cheers,
Michael

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Aerial Identification Panels
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse